Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

Hi,

I am thinking of getting an airbrushing kit. I was thinking of getting a kit that is attached to an air can. Can I at a later date, if I wish attach it to a air compressor would that be possible?

I was thinking of getting this one...

http://www.artifolk.co.uk/catalog/produ … sh_kit.htm

Any ideas?

Richy~

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Richy, I am no expert but from what I have heard the canned air only lasts about 10-15 minutes so is not very economical.  Yes, and airbrush that uses canned air can also run on a compressor .  You may be better off finding a small compressor or getting a bottle of CO2 like Judi uses. 

Also, be careful of the cheap plastic airbrushes.  I got one at first and was so frustrated with it.  It just didn't spray well at all.  I now have a Passche H single action that I got on Ebay for a really low price- $30 I think and it was new.   It works MUCH better.  Some other good brands are Badger, Iwata and Thayer/Chandler. 

Check in the TT library for past discussion on airbrushes.
http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=357

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Tammy... that's the one I have..... look out! If I get up the courage to try it I'm emailing you!! bear_tongue

Richy... the other thing about canned air is that you can't control the pressure. Listen to me! Never even used one and I'm giving advice. I DO have the Copic airbrush 'system' that uses canned air and it blows too hard, makes the ink go on heavy and there is little control.

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Richy, one other thing with the canned air aside from the cost, is the can gets really cold and the pressure drops, so you have to stop working and wait for the can to warm up again. Can be annoying bear_angry
   For some reason that isn't such a problem with the Copic system, but with a proper airbrush it's a shocker. When I first got my new airbrush, I bought an air can to play with, and I actually froze it to the desk it got that cold! bear_wacko

karenaus Melbourne
Website
Daphne wrote:

Richy... the other thing about canned air is that you can't control the pressure. Listen to me! Never even used one and I'm giving advice. I DO have the Copic airbrush 'system' that uses canned air and it blows too hard, makes the ink go on heavy and there is little control.

Hi Daphne- I think the pressure control issue is more caused by the Copic system gun rather than the air can. The trigger and the way the air blows across the marker tip just aren't designed for our delicate work! Even with the Copic system attached to a compressor it doesn't improve.
    (Having said that I do still find the Copic one handy hehe)

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

We have the copic system which we attach to an air compressor.  It takes a bit to get use to it but you can control the pressure, just like a regular airbrush it's how much you pull on the trigger.  Granted you will not get pin point accuracy with it, but it does a good job for shading the eye area and ears and even muzzles. 

I know Judi will jump in here at some point and fill you in on air brushes,  she is the resident expert on them and she is extremely talented with an airbrush.

big hugs

Shane

teeeej Brisbane

Im looking at buying a Passche H single action myself - and probably will do Judi's class as well. Im looking around for paints to use at the moment. Any Aussie TT's got some tips on paints and sources for them?

Edit: Sorry for Hijacking your topic but I suppose it is better then starting a new thread about the same topic. :doh:

karenaus Melbourne
Website
teeeej wrote:

Im looking at buying a Passche H single action myself - and probably will do Judi's class as well. Im looking around for paints to use at the moment. Any Aussie TT's got some tips on paints and sources for them?

Edit: Sorry for Hijacking your topic but I suppose it is better then starting a new thread about the same topic. :doh:

Teeeej, I like the Dye Na Flow that Gerry's carry, it's listed on their site under Dyes, Silk. You can use it straight from the jar, no thinning necessary- which also means no waste as you can tip the leftovers back into the jar when you are done.
    Gerry's only carry it in black or brown, I do have some in other colours but I don't remember where I got it from bear_rolleyes Brown does me fine tho for the look I am after.
    I've got a Paasche airbrush too, the double action one. I love airbrushing, once you start you will love it and I promise it's not as scary as you think bear_happy

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Richy, Good advice here so far. bear_thumb

If you are going to jump into airbrushing then I very strongly would steer away from the air cans.  No pressure control and such short usage time that your pre-painting airbrush strokes will use them up before you are even ready to start on a bear.

I learned on a Paasche H 25 years ago and it is still a super tool to use to this day.  I also really like the dual action Paasche VL.  can get  pin point detail when using the fine needle and tip with this airbrush.

I also have a Thayer/Chandler,  Badger, Iawata (which I haven't used yet because it does not fit with my air hoses...it's on my to-do list) .  My favorite are the Paaches.  They give me the least amount of trouble and are easy to maintain.

Paints.  You can use almost any kind of paint, if properly reduced, in an airbrush.  For bears and other soft sculpture I like Liqutexx brand paints, Golden Brand, and Createx.  All of these need to be watered down except for the Createx but even then I water this down for the finer details.

I have said this before but I can not overstate it...Practice, practice, practice it vital to master an airbrush.  I have seen people give up on airbrushing  because they don't master it right away.  It takes time to develop the skills required to be really successful.  It won't happen over night. But with lots of patience and a will to want to master it...it will happen.

Shane, I love your bears as you know....my Shane bear looks at me every day from his special place in my living room.  If you like the Copic then I say bravo.  If it works for you ...great....Like you said you use it for broader shading. So for this it works...with out air cans.

.....I tried the Copic system only because when I started teaching airbrushing I wanted to give people another option who desired only a small amount of shading.  I compare the Copic with my Paasche in that the Copic is like balancing my check book with side walk chalk.  It was not for me.  This is only my opinion.  It is up to the artist what they wish to use.

Someone on the internet took one of my soft sculptured airbrushed tiger pictures and posted it in a forum... then continued to explaining how the I did this with the Copic system. bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  I don't know where they got this information from but they were incorrect. And it was misleading.  I used a Paasche VL.  This can also be done with the Paasche H or any other professional airbrush.  There are four different colors layered on these big cats.
TigerLilly.jpg

I would encourage anyone who wants to add some details to their bears to try airbrushing.  Like Tami posted, you can get a Passche from ebay for around $30-$55.00.  I love this airbrush and I feel it is one of the best to learn with.

You can also check the TT Library. There is a thread on airbrushing. bear_thumb

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

Thank you everyone!

I am going to take into account, even though it looks like a deal, it usually isn't! 

I am looking into the Paasche h, I don't think I would be able to use a dual one right now! Although, Paasche seems to be allot cheaper in the US then the UK.

I am currently, taking a peek at the Badger brand Single airbrushes, I am looking for one with a small size needle (I think thats it) to a bigger size. I want to do smaller detail too, what allot of the cheaper ones don't.

After reading about the canned propellent I think I will have a look into more like the compressors. I really can't have a noisy air compressor, I have heard one, my sister in law has one for her re upholstery business for staple gun and such, my oh my, make me jump every time I hear it come on. We have a baby in the house, so he sleeps allot, so a compressor would be a bad idea. I do however like your use judi, the CO2 tanks. I have done a quick search and have no idea where to even look into getting one in the UK, never mind refilled! I presume they are like helium tanks they use for ballons... but CO2. 

Any more advice on the CO2 tanks?

Thank you for you time,

Richy~

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Richy, my mini air compressor is quieter than a hair dryer and not as high pitched !  It wouldn't disturb a baby in another room at all.  Mine is like this one and cost about $80US from Air Brush City.  It's about 8 inches long and 6 inches high.
compressor.jpg

I can't help with the CO2 info .

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

For info on air sources... most of which is from our sweet Judi herself...

check out this thread

. Ironically I started it exactly 2 years ago... and still haven't braved my airbrush yet!! (Sorry, Judi!)

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=5162

teeeej Brisbane

Well I decided on the Paasche H - got a good price for it on ebay. The price varied from 90-170 dollars on other websites!!! I have my eye on an artlogic mini air compressor. Just looking around for the best price. Im going to buy some of those Dye Na Flow paints from Gerry's to practice with. I think I might also go for a trip to some art stores here in Brisbane and see whats around.

Richy have you had any luck deciding on which one you will buy?

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Richy,
You can get a CO2 tank at a supplier of gases like helium or at a welding supplier.

I have used a CO2 tank for 25 years but I would like to use an air compressor.  I bought an Iawata compressor and hated it.  I returned it as it did not give me enough pressure.  It only went up to 15 PSI and for fine detail you really need to be able to dial up to 28 to 40 PIS (pounds per square inch).

The pros of a CO2 Tank.  They are silent.  Need no power source...so you could even go outside and airbrush. You can get great pressure.
Now, the down side is that they get very cold with prolonged use so, for example, if I am airbrushing a tiger it takes more than an hour so I have to use a small space heater to make sure it does not get took cold.  Cold CO2 will not hurt an airbrush but it does ten to create clogs as it makes the paint cold.  When I an doing a ten to twenty minute job then I don;t need a heater. 

I am getting a compressor but one with an attached air tank reservoir so I'll be able to get proper pressure.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

PS...Daphne. we're going to get you going on that airbrush! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Someone who can take on making bunnies for a world famous movie is brave enough to get out her airbrush bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_tongue

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Judi - whenever you want to take a little vacation to New Hampshire you just let me know! bear_grin  bear_tongue

I have a whole big trash bag full of Mimzy bunny parts that didn't make the cut... imagine what would happen with an airbrush! Oh, but I could use those parts for practice!! Hmmm..... :crackup:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

http://www.airbrushmegastore.com/index. … 4&Itemid=1

Any Aussie TT's got some tips on paints and sources for them?

This site may help you in your search teej.
Wendy

Board footer