Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

As a result of seeking sources for high quality synthetics, many discussions were had in the General Discussion Forum about the pros and cons of using synthetic, it's value when selling a bear and where to get the 'good stuff'. This became inspiration to many to try something new! Some had never considered synthetics before, never knew there were varying qualities or had a piece in the back of the closet they didn't know what to do with!

So, here is challenge for all those creative folks..... to make a new bear or friend out of a synthetic material of their choice. The idea is to try something new, experiment, CHALLENGE yourself! Go where you have never gone before. Perhaps you already work with synthetics but have been thinking about trying a far out color or a different source for fur or just a new pattern. Here's your chance to jump in... this is that little push or incentive you've needed!!!

Here are links to the discussion we've had about synthetics including tips on working with it and places to find it:
http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=9640
http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=9988
http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=9713

If you have previously made synthetic critters you'd like to show us please feel free to post them in one of the above discussions.
The actual challenge and photos posted here will be for new work, made for this challenge.

Deadline: December 31, 2006

Ready? Set?  GO!!!!!!!!!! :dance:

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

I am half way through my new challenge which is with a new synthetic and a new pattern and some new tecniques.....having fun as well as a bit of stress as it is completely new..

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Absolutely right, Daphne . . . thanks for giving us a necessary nudge! :hug:

I'm still waiting for my Tissavel (sigh) but at least I'm working on my pattern with a stand-in fabric.

lulubears Posts: 280

Here is what I made for the challenge.  I received the rust colored fabric in a swap, and already had the black and white pieces.  This was so much fun, I'm getting together with some friends and we're all making one tomorrow.  Enjoy!Finished_Fox.jpg

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original LuluBears, this is a most victorious vixen!! I love him bear_wub

Thanks Eileen.  I had a blast making him.  I was a little nervous about doing the tips of his ears and coloring in the face, but it was great fun. 

Luann

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow, Luann, that is one foxy fox!!!  VERY cute and creative!  Bravo! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Scotia-open-mouth-reclining.jpgscotia-head-shot.jpgWell, I finished the synthetic challenge.
I think I am happy with it, a bit different to what I normally do.

Here is Scotia the polar bear.  Made from a synthetic fabric that has a short fur pile with little waves through it.  He is 10" (28cm) from head to foot pad and he is filled with fibre fill and some plastic pellets to give him weight.
I did some needle-felting on his feet and his eyes are german glass eyes.

He has a double neck joint and around this he wears a handknitted faux fur scarf.

Hope you like him...

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Luann - LOVE that fox!!!!!! Perfect fur choices!

Denise - That polar bear is adorable... love the feet! Fantastic!!!

I have changed the look of Scotia in the last couple of hours.  He now has a mouth, will post a pic tomorrow....

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original I think Scotia looks great even without a mouth! Your eye and ear placement and toes are so Polar bear_wub

Mohair-Fox.jpgHi all - I posted earlier, but I think it vaporized somewhere.  Anyway...here is the fox I made yesterday when I got together with my friends.  This one is made of mohair and not synthetic, but was really fun.  My friend took photos of all of them, but hasn't e-mailed them to me yet.  At any rate, they all turned out cute.  I think Scotia turned out just adorable, nd I love the pad detail.  Great job.  Hugs, Luann

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

small-twins04.jpgThis is the first time I can enter a challenge! I was working on my third sewn bear when the synthetic challenge came out. So, I finished him....and made his sister. They are both Sue Ann's, Past Time Bears 15 1/2" pattern. I got the long synthetic fur from Bear Bottoms Originals....it really holds up to all the abuse a new bear maker can give! I am really having fun and learning so much.
Here are Branson and Kelly........

Wow!  Branson and Kelly are adorable!  You did an incredible job.  Luann

Branson and Kelly are great, it is addictive this bear making.

I have changed my pics of Scotia who now has a mouth.  Does any one else have trouble getting the angle right on the camera.  If I get a good shot of the mouth the eyes disappear.

I am happier with him now he has a mouth, what do you think...scroll up..

That fox is simply awesome.

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

The mouth certainly adds life to Scotia! Although he looks great either way. I love his paws.

The fox turned out beautiful both ways. I bet it was a lot of fun to sit with others and create together. Bear and fox making can be such a solitary event......I'm glad we have this forum to share with each other!

JeannieB bear_original

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Melanie Jayne, I want to hold him! Can I hold him please? Just for a minute? He's lovely!

Love the fox, the polar bear, and the cuddly grey bears too.

K Pawz Guest

OMG I can't believe that I have missed these posts they are all amazing...I am working on my challenge bear as we speak...but since I work in synthetic quite a bit, I am challenging myself a bit more with this guy....he will have needlefelted paw pads, double jointed wrists, double jointed neck,and a realisitic three piece body style...so the design in itself is a challenge just working and reworking...Hopefully I have him up before the end of the week......I Just Love everyones creations bear_wub You guys have done a stellar job on these!!!!

Hugs,
krista

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

kjlyonssynthetic.jpgbear_tongue  Ok, I flunked this challenge!
I used the same synthetic as Terrie of Terries Bears and she did a much better job of it!
I am so used to doing all my own coloring of fur I found it very difficult to work with a fur that had a pattern. I fought it every step of the way and I think the FUR won!  :crackup:
P.S. I don't recommend this fur for a first time synthetic. It has a strange bumpy backing to it and to me, it just felt very odd?! (I know, excuses, excuses)

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

I love your kitten and if you are unhappy with it I can only suggest that you get it out of your site as soon as possible . I don't want you to feel bad so I would be willing to give the poor kitten a home , just mail it along to me and I'm sure you will feel so much better  bear_grin   bear_tongue   :crackup:   :crackup:   :crackup:   bear_laugh

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I volunteer to take that cute kitten off your hands, too, Karen!  I think it's adorable!

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Shari,

Send me your address! You were the first to ask and you'll get him! I won't be putting him on sale. E-mail me at karen@kjlyons.com
Karen
KJ Lyons Design

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Oh wow, really Karen? I have just sent you an email.  bear_wub   :hug:

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

bear_thumb  Shari,
I'm true to my word! I got her ready for travel and she went out this morning. I know she's ready for a new home, I think she might have heard me talking about her :redface:
Karen
KJ Lyons Design

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Man, I just KNEW that at 8:43:10 yesterday, I should have been reading this thread.  Lucky Shari!

Karen, I hardly think you flunked that challenge; your kitten is darling!  But I know what you mean.  I'm working on my synthetic challenge piece right now too, and it's just about killing me.  It will be the biggest bear I've ever made, if I don't throw it through the window like a spear first.

Board footer