Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Batwrangler Posts: 17

Hi, Teddy Talkers,

This is my first attempt at a needlefelted beastie. I still need to finish his arms and legs, embroider his nose and mouth, and assemble him (he's just held together by straight pins right now). He's made of wool with 2mm amber glass eyes, and he's sitting on a dvd-r for scale.

255422917_325f8cdb49.jpg

(You can click here for a couple more views.)

Thanks to Daphne for setting me up with supplies and telling me about Teddy Talk.

Sheila

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

You're off to a great start...but be careful, needlefelting is highly addictive!

Marion

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

He looks terrific Sheila.   bear_thumb   I too am learning to needle felt and it is fun.  I'm like you and get excited and want to share before it is truly finished    bear_happy  Make sure you show us more pictures when he is all finished.

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

he looks great!
now tell the story behind your username, cause I am intrigued  bear_grin

MerBear wrote:

You're off to a great start...but be careful, needlefelting is highly addictive!

Marion

Thank you! (It would be more addictive if I didn't poke my fingers so much!)

Tammy wrote:

He looks terrific Sheila.   bear_thumb   I too am learning to needle felt and it is fun.  I'm like you and get excited and want to share before it is truly finished    bear_happy  Make sure you show us more pictures when he is all finished.

Thanks! I certainly will.

toadbriar wrote:

he looks great!
now tell the story behind your username, cause I am intrigued  :lol:

I work in an old Amoskeag Mill building and we get bats inside on a fairly regular basis, so I keep a bat-catching net at my desk, and everyone knows to call me if they see a bat.

Some of the bats I've wrangled.

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

COOL!
Bats are such excellent neighbors. We got one in the house once. I was able to get a dishtowel
over him & put him out. He did several victory laps around the yard, I took it as a thank you.
I'd have liked to examine him closer but I didn't want to freak him out more than necessary.
Your pics are more than suitable as a sort of consolation prize!

Thanks for sharing your fotos!
I have to ask if you plan on needlefelting any bats, though - what a keen mobile you could make.
The bear has turned out so well, it looks like you had fun?

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

Hi Sheila,  great to see that you are doing the needlefelting.  It is addictive as I have been bitten by the bug too.  Have made a 3" Panda and now I am starting a bunny.

How is sebastian going, has he settled in.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Sheila, Very nice little bear, especially being your first. :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Neat story too.  I like bats. bear_wub

toadbriar wrote:

COOL!
I have to ask if you plan on needlefelting any bats, though - what a keen mobile you could make.
The bear has turned out so well, it looks like you had fun?

I'm glad you were able to handle your bat so well and that you liked my photos.

I'm planning on making needlefelted bats and more traditionally constructed bats.

The needlefelted bear is 90% done. I'm having to resist the temptation to just joint him and call him finished when he really still needs a bit of work. (I have to let my poor fingers rest a couple of days between needlefelting sessions!)

tuppies teddies wrote:

Hi Sheila,  great to see that you are doing the needlefelting.  It is addictive as I have been bitten by the bug too.  Have made a 3" Panda and now I am starting a bunny.

How is sebastian going, has he settled in.

Bitten is the right word!

Sebastian is doing swimmingly. He's right at home with my other bears!

Judi wrote:

Sheila, Very nice little bear, especially being your first. :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Neat story too.  I like bats. :love:

Thanks!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Hi Sheila!!

Gosh, I need to visit the NF forum more often!  :doh:  I'm sorry I didn't see you sooner! Glad you've joined us!

Your bear looks great! I admire those narrow limbs.... but no wonder you keep poking yourself! I would too.... not much wool between the fingers! He's so great though! I hope you are going to bring him to our meeting on the 21st!!!

You could try hanging onto the pieces you are felting with tweezers if your fingers get too sore!

A NF'ed bat would be cool.... his wings could be made out of all sorts of things other than wool too. I bet Diana will have suggestions at our meeting... along with a few bat stories! :)

Hugs,
Daphne

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Great job Sheila,  are you hooked?

I love bats  too....they are so helpful.  We have tons and tons....probably because we live fairly close to a national park called Oregon Caves, and it is "renowned
  for all the bats.....

I think you did a bang up job first time out, now you're really hoinh to have to make a bat, huh?

golly hugs

dilu

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

How much blood have you shed? our wrangler of bats bear_grin
You do know that you arent fully initiated into the world of Needle felters until blood has been spilt?
What????!!!!!! Daphne not tell you this??????? :crackup:  :crackup:
======================WELCOME==================================

ylc Y Daydream? Designs
Spotsylvania, VA

Sheila
Your little needle felted bear is wonderful! You did a fantastic job - it is hard to believe he is your first.
I haven't tried needle felting yet but am being tempted LOL

I love bats they are so cute, They scare me a little though bear_original

Yvette

Board footer