Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Hello teddy bear friends: I don't know about the rest of you but I have three very sneaky Siamese cats who have figured out how to break into my craft closet and have their way with my fur.....I know they work in pairs to open the door. Most everyday I come home from work, I know they had loads of fun because I see pieces of fur, jewlrey and such all over the house. This has been going on for quit some time. And the older they get the sneakier they become....They now call each other when they found something they should not get into. It took me several months  to figure out the type of "meows" they use to call the others into the room to "play". So when I am home and I hear that "type of meow" and I see the other running into the other room, I am bolting out of my chair too, fighting the blanket and pushing away the stool...It is like in the movie "Chariots Of Fire"  in that  slow motion scene,  the race into my craft room (kitties always winning) to rescue my stuff before they become toys for my belove (yet naughty) kitties...... So, do any of you have that problem too? 

Michelle

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

I have nowhere to hide when working on my bears and have to fight with my kitty to azvoid her playing with my threads and whatever is interesting her!

She is alone, but is spending her time inventing new forbiden things to do!!!

So believe me how relieve i am when she finaly gets asleep!

bear_tongue

Couldn't you try to attach on the ceiling some bells just touching the dooor, so when your naughty kitties open it it is making a lot of noise and may frighten them???
Just an idea...

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

K Pawz Guest

lol...I hear ya!!! there are 12 in my house, and 5 of them kittens...so yes I know just where you are coming from....I have learnt that it is more frustrating for me if I let it get to me, I just make sure to keep all hazzards under lids, and any current bears I am working on get put into a sewing basket to ensure their saftey (the bears that is)

Krista

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

bitsbobs03.JPGI understand your dilema as we have two Balinese cats(siamesexangora)and they are 2 years old and they take all my sewing things if I don't keep them safely put away.They will take pins ,tape measures,cotton etc.I used to leave bears sitting finished on the table ready for the ears to be sewn on but they would pinch them and pins as well and send me in a panic trying to locate the missing pins.One of them even took the ears and pins as I sat working on another bear and the other bear was right beside me.They also like the heads so to cure them I made them one specially but it wasn't good enough-it must be more fun to pinch mine.I also have a siamese and birman but luckily they are better behaved.I love cats though so they don't really get told off-they are too cute for that.They are very lively too chasing each other around the house at full speed and they bounce up and down on the top of my net curtains even though they are a bit big for that now .Have you got any pictures of your siameses?
Laurie :hug:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

OH YES!!!  I have 4 cats and one of them LOVES my fur closet.  She goes in and secludes herself in the farthest corner to take her naps.  None of the others show much interest in the fur.  Another of my cats loves to jump on the sewing machine - while I'm sewing - so that the thread has a very hard time moving while she's lying on top of it.  It ends up breaking half the time.  Naughty, but adorable, kitties!!!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Kwatzu thinks it is grand to pull out the soft fluffy mohair and curl up in it.

He thinks because it is furry that I can't see him.

How I wish I could afford a king size spread out of this stuff!

gollyhugs
dilu

Well, I'm glad I am not alone here...

Krista: you have 12 kitties!!! Wow...I bet you always have a little furry with you even when sewing. Yes, safety is so important...I go crazy when I have lost a needle. I have horrible visions of one of my cats stepping on it or eating it....

Laurie: Love your balinese pictures...I can relate to my kitties stealing bear parts too. I have to go on the hunt for an ear or something when I realize it is missing.....And I have made fur toys for them in hopes they will not steal my bear parts, but noooooo, they still want more... Oh, also Laurie, what kind of siamese to you have. I have two seal points (apple face) and one standard blue point.....I do have a lot of pictures and will post them but I don't have a photo editing program. I tried one of the free ones but I could not figure it out...Sad as it may be....I am not computer  savvy. Quy sent this free program to me and I got stuck....Sandy helped me out with my avitar and edited the picture for me. So at least I have that up. But for everyday posting of pictures, I will figure it out....

Sophie: It is a battle we can not win once our cats are focused on that thread. An you don't want to hurt their little feeling.....

Sue Ann and Duli we just have to love our cats even if it means more work....and when you want your fur, it is hard to wake them up, not wanting to disturb their sleep....One wonders who really rules the house...

Michelle

aerianna aerBears
Sacramento, CA

Wow, I am glad I am not the only one. I also keep all my important stuff under lock and key... or in tupperware boxes at least!

Only one word of warning... Lock up anything that can hurt them! My kitty, Noodle, ate part of a toothpick two years ago and almost died. It took two emergency surgeries at UC Davis (and lots and lots of money I didn't have) to save him.

It takes only a second for them to swallow whatever sharp item they find, but many weeks in the ICU to find said item!

Aerianna

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

Hi Michelle,
My Siamese is a traditional one and she is a blue point.I have to watch the Balineses with her though as they think it is great fun to chase her.They chased her when we were asleep in bed the other week and she jumped up in the air to get away from them and knocked one of my best china plates off the wall-luckily it didn't break although  it isn't the best way to get woken up in the morning. bear_shocked
Laurie :hug:

K Pawz Guest

yeah you can never be too paranoid where their safety is concerned....a few years ago before I was making bears, and doing cross stitch my Maine coon/Manx ate a needle!!! After xrays we were able to see where it was, and lucky for us and him it was straight with the blunt end pointing down....since he was so big, kitty laxative did the trick, although I had to look for the needle to make sure it passed....yuck!!!!!

Krista

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Kitty talk! Yay!
My cats don't get into my stuff when I'm not around, unless I don't put my thread away--they love that. I try not too because that too is dangerous as it can get entangled in their intestines if they eat it.
But as soon as I lay out a piece of fur to cut out a bear, they sprawl their fat bodies (both my kitties are fat) out on it like I put it there for them. I'm always pushing them off. Yesterday I was working on a very special project, and when Cinder, my long haired black cat plopped down on a pile of cut pieces. I just went to get the camera. Of course when I want him to stay he doesn't! I wanted to take his picture because the project I am working on is a portrait of HIM.

aerianna aerBears
Sacramento, CA

Renae,
I just found your mouse. Eileen has dressed it up in a dress and it is in the Teddy Bears and Friends section.  :crackup:
Aerianna

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

skippy-013.jpgIt is nice to know that I am not the only one with cat troubles.  Since I have a soft spot for cats, I tend to take in all that pass this way.  Clarisse chases my thread when I'm sewing and Della flops down on the table as soon as it is set up for photos.  My other problem involves kittens.  Some of you may remember that I have been feeding a little cat who brought her kittens to me.  Well, we came very close to losing 3 of the kittens so I brought mama and babies into my Florida room.  As you can see, my plants which I have brought in for the winter are now the ones in danger.  This is a picture of Jag in one of my plants.  Sometimes I think that I have lost my mind.  What am I doing bringing 4 kittens in?  These little squirts are into everything.  I have talked about finding homes for them, but this is not the safest time of year to find homes for black cats.  And we are fastly becoming attached to the mob.  So I guess we take it a step at a time and enjoy the crazy times.

Millie: what a good soul you are for bringing in the mama and her kittens. I remember I found a cat outside my house and she kept hanging around. I felt bad for her but it appeared nobody claimed her. One day I can home and it was cold and raining. She waited outside for me and the site nearly sent me to tears. I called my mother and begged her to take the cat in (I already had four). Mother, being a cat lover said o.k. Over a period of time, mother said the cat was doing well and getting fat....Next thing I know my mother calls hysterical, saying the cat gave birth to five kittens....on top of her shoes.....Well, I found home for all the kittens but my mother fell in love and kept them all....

It is wonderful to see other peoples experience with their beloved pets...We all share a passion for our animals and concern when they get into things that can hurt them....

Michelle

krystolla Fuzzbutt Bears
Columbus Ohio

I'm lucky my kitties (otherwise known as the quality control team) aren't motivated enough to break into my supply closet, although I did need to find a sewing box with a good lock. I have negotiated a treaty -- they are allowed to play with the scraps so long as they leave my pieces alone. Keeping them away from needles, pins and threads is harder -- basically everything is either in my hand or in the ziploc bag and I've taught them not to touch the ziploc bag. 

Of course, I'm also probably the only one who's ever made cat toys out of scrap mohair. Spoiled kitties? Maybe.  bear_whistle 

-- Erika
Fuzzbutt Bears

Board footer