Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi folks.

Last night someone hacked into my ebay account, changed my password, cancelled all my bids on my bear auction, and sent fake second chance offers to all my bidders. bear_sad  :twisted:  bear_angry

My auction was at $705 last night with 9 bids.  This morning it was at $56.00 with 2 bids.  I was unable to sign in to ebay so I used live chat.  An hour later that problem was figured out.

I received this email yesterday:
[i]Please confirm me if this is a same item with the item listed on

!!!!!!ww.kd-bayisapi.go.ro/item9722396496 from ebay member: b24brooks

This person tricked me into responding and used my email to get information.

Ebay Trust and Safety advises this:

NEVER answer emails from your registered ebay email account.  If anyone has questions or then it will be in your messeges on your ebay page. Once someone has your email it becomes a backdoor to your account.  They can then request password information and they're in.  Also, once you are signed in to your account and are reading your messages and are asked to sign in again...it is spoof email and an attempt to hack into your account. 

REPORT ALL SUPICIOUS EMAIL TO  spoof@ebay.com

If you do get fooled, then not only will you need to change your ebay password but also your registered EMAIL password.

Shame shame shame on whoever did this.  I hope they get crotch crabs.

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Judi that STINKS BIG TIME!!! I was watching your auction and so excited that it was doing so well for you bear_cry
What is WRONG with this world anymore...where do these people come from and who is breeding them??  GOOD GRIEF!

WE ALL NEED TO AKS Ebay this:  Why do THEY send any emails to your registered email account??  If this is such a HUGE security issue there should only be one option and that is to use the ebay message area, PERIOD. Ebay needs to have some accountability for these events, it's their system in the end and by allowing any ebay emails to come through they are in turn setting us up for disaster. 

After they are warned of these spoof accounts they should have some kind of blocking system driven by IPS address or something..SOMETHING is able to be done...we're cloning sheep for God's sake..we can't stop these repeat losers from registering on Ebay??

In the meantime I would suggest we all stick to really strict security guidelines.  Never answer an email from someone you don't know regarding eBay...ONLY use that message area in "my ebay".  Change your eBay password at least once a month.  All major businesses have automatic password "re sets" to ensure safety.  Don't use your kids name, pets names, etc...(we all talk too much out here and everyone has that info readily from most of our web sites).  If all else fails we can wish terrible bodily parasites on them :crackup: (cracking up Judi!)

:hug:
~Chrissi

Roxanne Bear Paws by Roxanne
Odessa, Tx

Great advise Judi!
I am so sorry for the screw up on your auction. Grrrrr! I have come to the point that whenever I run a auction, if I get any questions from ebay. I send every question straight to spoof@ebay.com before I answer it. Unless of course it is someone that I know bear_happy
Judi wrote:

:crackup:  This is the quote of the day!!!  :crackup:

zemeski Posts: 434

Judi- I was wondering what was going on with your auction. I saw it was still listed in the ebay gallery. I also noticed that all the bids had been canceled. That is crazy!!! So, did the bear sale or did this scam mess up the auction all together? I hate ebay when this garbage happens to people. I wish ebay could find out some way to keep this from happening to people!!! Sorry Judi this happened to you!! :hug:

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Thanks Judi, this happened to Chloe too. I'm off to change my password as I answered one from email, I could'nt remember which way to do it.

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

I cannot believe this!

Some people are just awful!

You are a talented lady and famous and loved, so ... you deserve to be annoyed etc???? How weird is that kind of feeling????  bear_angry

There are definitely a lot of jealous people turning around your auction pages...
I hate them all!

And I want to claim loudly: I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Keep fighting these horrible people, they will never win against you!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

That really stinks Judi, poor you. I do hope you get lots of bids and sell the bear for lots of $s. Why is the world so full of grotty people like this. I hope they catch them.

DITO  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Hugs Jane.

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

I can't believe the nerve of these people!!!

I hope they get crotch crabs.

Oh Judi, I almost fell off my chair with laughter then!!! :crackup:

dusty attic dusty attic bears
somerset

OH JUDI , I`M SOOOOO SORRY.This happened to me too, only last week, they changed my e mail address and set up a new papal account in my name.From now on i`m never going to answer e mails from my in box.ahhh this makes me so angry. these guys are always trying to make a fast buck off of other people.Why can`t they get off their butts and work instead of trying to scam others that work hard for a living.

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Judi, the person (or persons) who did this undoubtedly has many accounts registered, constantly creates more, and has already moved on.  eBay will suspend their account over this, but it won't matter to them, they'll just use another.

To everyone... never, never, never, never, never click on a link in an email to respond to something like this.  Never.  It is not receiving an email from you that transmits your account information, it is the fact that the link is directing you to a web site that LOOKS like eBay but is not... when they get you to log into it, they have your account ID and password. 

Messages like these are designed to look like they originate from a trusted source that you may have an account with.  They may look like eBay messages, messages from your bank, messages from other online merchants like Amazon.com... the varieties are endless.  Be one step ahead of fraud and never, never, never click on links in emails.  Judi actually got off lucky with this one.  Many such fraudulent emails are designed to get more damaging data, like your bank account, credit card, or social security number.

Judi, I'm sorry this happened to you and hopefully the damage can be repaired to your auction and things set right again.

Best wishes,
Kelly

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

DIRTY ROTTEN ******* !!!!!!!!  :twisted:

I hope you get everything sorted out Judi - don't some poeple make you SICK?!?!? Mean Mothers ain't they? Money mad some folks - don't they care? no i suppose not.

Beeeeeg Huggggggs

Penny  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
dusty attic wrote:

ilWhy can`t they get off their butts and work instead of trying to scam others that work hard for a living.

YES!  I wish they would. 

Thanks for your support guys.  It's nice to have you all here to vent to and to get great advice. :hug:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
chrissibrinkley wrote:

If all else fails we can wish terrible bodily parasites on them :crackup: (cracking up Judi!)

~Chrissi

Oh I'm cracking up too! :crackup:

I got it all sorted out and I hope my bidders don't lose faith in my auctions.  I have spent the last six years building a good reputation as a seller.  My collectors trust me.  I hope they use good common sense and don;t fall for the fake offers.

It's very creepy to think that people are actively trying to get personal info.

Chrissie, great advice about chaning passwords regularly.  I'm off to go and change my paypal password.  I just don't know what other information they may have goten a hold of.

Double the crotch crabs!

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

o.k. As I have mentioned in many of my posts, I am not that computer savvy but I love ebay and buy things on there from time to time. So I have a question to help me understand what I should be doing:

1) Re ebay items: Only answer e-mails that is under "my e-bay"? - right?
2) Do not respond to any emails under my regular e-mail in outlook that pertains to an e-bay question? right?

Now I am assuming this is if you are a seller (which I am not). But I buy off ebay and will e-mail questions to the sellers. Does all this still apply?

Thank you teddy bear friends...

Michelle

p.s. Judi, it is very sad that your good name and work is botched up by some criminal. I hope the culprit is caught and prosecuted!

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I just changed my password and in my ebay alert it clearly states from IPS address and server the change came from!  If they have this information why can't they block the repeat offenders?  eBay really needs to step up the security measures.

~Chrissi

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

Hi Michelle,
I am with you as I don't quite understand either...I hope someone can answer you question.

zemeski Posts: 434
Michelle Helen wrote:

o.k. As I have mentioned in many of my posts, I am not that computer savvy but I love ebay and buy things on there from time to time. So I have a question to help me understand what I should be doing:

1) Re ebay items: Only answer e-mails that is under "my e-bay"? - right?
2) Do not respond to any emails under my regular e-mail in outlook that pertains to an e-bay question? right?

Now I am assuming this is if you are a seller (which I am not). But I buy off ebay and will e-mail questions to the sellers. Does all this still apply?

Thank you teddy bear friends...

Michelle

p.s. Judi, it is very sad that your good name and work is botched up by some criminal. I hope the culprit is caught and prosecuted!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Michelle & Lynn - When dealing with ebay for all your safety I would always go through ebays Web-site and go to your "MY EBAY" sign in through the Web-site (NEVER SIGN ON THROUGH AN E-MAIL OR LINK ON TO A LINK) go to "MESSAGES" to look for messages from ebay users. Respond in your message center in ebay.

If you have questions about an auction etc.. Always ask questions through the "ASK THE SELLER A QUESTION" located at the top of an auction page under "MEET THE SELLER." Don't give your e-mail address to people in the ebay message box. Always communicate through ebay for any ebay business. The seller or buyer will always answer you back the same way. If you get an e-mail from someone read it, but DON'T answer back through the e-mail. Go to ebay look and see if you have a message waiting in your message Center. If not the e-mail was a spoof. Even if you do have a message I would still respond in your ebay message center.

The ebay RULE is... NEVER RESPOND OR SIGN IN TO AN E-MAIL FROM EBAY,  AN EBAY SELLER, OR BUYER!!! ALWAYS COMMUNICATE IN THE MESSAGE CENTER ON EBAY!!

(The same goes for second chance offers as well.) A good thing to know is when you bid make sure you know the username on the auction. You can compare the second chance offers with the username of the auction you bidded on.
I always save my auctions I have bidded on for refering to second chance offers.

If you do get a spoof e-mail try to always forward the e-mail to spoof@ebay.com

I hope this helps!! I have lived by this since I have gone through the same experience Judi did. This is the only way to protect yourself until ebay gets spoof and fraud police out their!! Ha! Ha!

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

Thanks Melissa,
I understand now!  Judy so sorry that had to happen ..hope everthing works out for you.

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Judi, that is is awful, how can someone do that.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Melissa: Thank you so much for this information....I can't tell you how much I don't know....I think I will change my password....Now I will have to call my 76 y/o father to help me...sadly, my father knows more about this than I do....

Bear Hugs

Michelle

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Gosh. You guys have some great repsonses. 

MELISSA, Thank you so much.  Your outline about ebay messages is right on!  Now I just have to remeber to follow it...all the time.

Ellen, Mandi is going to make it.  I posted her details in the " my dog has been hit" post.  It's a miracle!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
WildCatDancer wrote:

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their underwear. May a rabid colony of voracious voles move into their sock drawers. May industrial strength ringworm infestations break out on their wobbly bits. May strange cats sneak in and hawk up enormous hairballs in their shoes at night. .

AND the best one of all. May they be treated as they treat others.

(Um, sorry. Reading Arabian Nights again)

RENAE!!  Yo unever fail to crack me up!!  These are great!! :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh Judikins!

I am so sorry bear_cry   

Everyone here sends you gollyhugs, and Cozy sends sweet little bearykisses.   bear_cry

dilu

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

My goodness Judi!!! things are just not going your way at the moment are they love.?  :hug:
Well I'm off to change a few pass words.   Thankyou for the warning Judi.  :thumbsup:

I found that when you change a password they send a message to your MY EBAY site which will sit there for 12 days.  Seems like ample time to figure if someone has changed your password. But now that I just said that if your password has been changed then you dont have access to your My Ebay  any more do you?  :doh:  :redface: MMMmmm ???? MMMMMMmmmmmbit of a poser this one aye? :redface:

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Aaagghhh!  I'm so sorry Judi!

All the great advice here about not responding to emails or clicking on links in an email applies to EVERY site that has sensitive information on it!!  This includes you BANK, PAYPAL, CREDIT CARDS, etc.....

NEVER click on or respond to an email from any of these right from an email you have supposedly received "from" them.  If you are not sure, go directly to their site from another browser window (do NOT click on any links in their email) and log into their site and check there if they have a message system (my bank does) or send them an email from their actual site (or call them!)  I get emails like this all the time "from my bank".... that happens to be a bank I do not do business with... they use the shotgun and send TONS of these out.

This is really nothing new... it's just a new twist on an old trick.  My banker just told me yesterday about another client's problem.... he received in the mail (regular mail) a letter saying he had won a sweepstakes.  It instructed him to send a money order for a certain amount to an address somewhere (not sure where) and he'd receive the $30,000 sweepstakes.  It was a scam, just trying to get him to send in the money order.... I remember these types of things from years ago.

Why is it so hard to catch the internet scammers?  Very often they are not even in the US, and dodge US laws because they may live in Romania, Russia, India,....

Board footer