Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I know I've read some posts somewhere on this topic...I'm not trying to beat it to death.  But...I've tried a few attempts at sculpting the eye area, the muzzle and the mouth and am having a terrible time getting everything to stay in place.  I can't seem to pull, push, pinch, tug, tweek, and hold it all in place and get it actually stay there.  So...does anyone out there and you know who you are...have any photographs, diagrams, drawing, doodles, etc. they could post.  I'm sure I'm not alone in this da-lem-a-la!!

Thanks...

The snoop!!!

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Shantell
You may want to consider taking Nancy Tillberg's online class on Extreme Sculpting or her book 101 Bears which also has a section on sculpting in it
Hugs
Gail
the url for the classes is www.northcountryteddybears.com

BethBear Posts: 27

I use Edinburg's eye floss for sculpting.  It is really a huge spool of waxed thread, like dental floss, that can be split into several strands.  I pull and split out enough to have a double thread and tie a big knot in it ( I do not close the head until it is jointed, stuffed, nose embroidered, the area I leave open in on the head gussett) and go into the head opening to tighten the eye sockets and maybe sculpt the nose area.  I go back into the head opening and out.  If you stuff a closed and jointed head, just to into the neck area.  This stuff is really strong and if you get your initial knot to hold, you can pull and tug all you want and it won't break.  I also use it for inserting my eyes.  One spool has lasted me for five years.  It is a deal.  Also it is sort of transparent so your sculpting won't show a lot especially if you have fur around the nose or are using a fabric with a darker back.

Hugs,
BethBear

Willamette Valley Oregon

I keep threatening to take one of those Bear U classes...I even have it bookmarked...not sure what's stopping me.

Thanks Bethbear...I shall try your methods before I spend $40+ on a bear making class... bear_original:)

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Shantell, I just took a course from Nancy at her eBearzU and even though I've been doing this for a while and have most of my "systems" down pat, I learned plenty.  The class I took was the Heirloom Bear, which is from vintage real fur.  Nancy and Judi are probably the two best people in the artist bear industry to consult on those topics, and I found them both there.

I thought it was a great class, very well presented, very well documented with accompanying photographs.  But best of all, Nancy has her own forum, and personal email access, so you can find her to answer any and every niggling question that remains post-course, or comes up mid-course, at any time. 

And I should note that she does this whether you're in her courses or not!  She's just a wonderful resource, and a great champion of the industry.

Nancy has a fabulous real fur bear in this month's (October) TBR.  It's a blue and ivory mink/muskrat panda.  Very cute!

I encourage you to fork over the $40 for her classes if it's not too much of a financial pinch, because I feel pretty certain -- both from taking one of the classes and from knowing Nancy personally -- that you'll learn enough to know both how to proceed, or how NOT to proceed, once you're done.  Sometimes it's knowing what NOT to do that's as instructive as anything.

Hope this helps!

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I too would love to take Nancys class...but I really don't have $40...,maybe I will later when I sell some bears.
Shantell, I think if you use some waxed artificial thread will solve your problem because it " grabs " the fibers and holds each one of your sculpting stitches really well...it makes a HUGE difference compared to upholstery thread !
If you e-mail me , give me your address I will mail you some thread to try out....Winney

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I am taking the Extreme Sculpting course at the moment and it is very very informative...  I have puffy cheaks!!!! bear_grin:lol::lol: And I am now learning about eye and mouth sculpting.:D:D  The instructions are fantastic and very well presented.  I have had a few questions and they have been answered in a timely manner so that I could continue.  Nancy is an excellent teacher.

I would recommend the course.

Jane

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

Shantell,
I have taken a couple of courses from Nancy and found them to be very good. I think you would enjoy them. You can login into the course any time night or day. Just grab your coffee and sit down in our PJ's. and login!!! This is the beauty of online classes.I am looking at taking a couple more. more.
I guess I should state that I am new to the form.... I hope you don't mind me jumping in here with my two cents worth.   I am from Alberta ...HI Jane! I have been into the craft business for over twenty years and the last five years into bear making. I have had to slow down in making bears due to health problems. Hi everyone!
  Jane that course I would like to take when I am up to it as well as the airbrushing.
You all seem to be a great group of ladies here. I enjoy reading all the stories. Thanks!

Lynn

Willamette Valley Oregon

Oh all right...how much is Nancy paying you guys bear_happy 

I'm registering...tonight...it's not the money so much as do I really want to spend my money on a class...or new shoes...or bear stuff...quilt stuff...I have a list you know.

Thanks for the advice...

P.S.  Winney, thank you so much for the generous offer but actually have eye floss that I bought through Edinburgh...I just didn't think far enough ahead that I could use it for sculpting.

TTFN...off to Nancy's site...

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Website

Hey Lynn,

I was wondering if that was you from your handle!!! 

I am really enjoying the sculpting class and have seen the results bear_laugh  I bought an airbrushing kit awhile ago, Copic, and the markers.  Im not quite sure about it yet Im thinking I might need to take the airbrushing class as well however it will have to wait awhile.  I am registered for a Brazilian Embroibery class in Sept - never enough hours in a day!!

All the ladies here are wonderful with lots of great tips and support.

Shantell - I think my cheque must be in the mail. :lol::lol:

Jane

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

I'm taking Nancy's Extreme Sculpting course right now too.  I am really enjoying it.  Her courses and advice have done wonders for my bear making.   They are definitely worth every penny and then some.

Sandi

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hello Lynn. I am also from Alberta. I had no idea there were so many bear makers here. We must plan our own show one day!!!!!
Okay, so I've also been putting off taking an online course. Has anyone taken the teddy pattern design course?? I think that's the one I need the most.
Heather

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

Hi Heather,
I think that may be a plan! I have taken a couple of design courses along time ago but not through Nancy. I don't think she was offering any at the time I took mine. I tiik my form a couple of gals from the Hat. Ther are afew of us here in the Hat that make bears. Before the One stop Bear shop closed their doors they use to have a day bear show in the summer and have a retreat in the fall for a weekend. It was fun. Now there is nothing, and with the show in Calgary not here there is only the one in B.C. for out west here.
If you are not sure in how to design bears or need help, I think you would find it very helpful. I have taken a couple of Nancy's other courses and found them to be very helpfull.
Lynn

lidoushka London

Hi Shelli
Nancy's classes sound great - I'd be grateful if you could let me have her address as I would like to do some of her classes.
Many thanks
Lydia:)

Willamette Valley Oregon

Lydia,

This is Nancy's website and there is a link the her Bear University classes there.  Maybe we'll be classmates?  :)

www.northcountryteddybears.com

Shantell

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Thanks, Shantell; you beat me to the punch. bear_happy

lidoushka London

Thanks Shelli, it would be lovely to be classmates.
Lydia:)

lidoushka London

Thanks Shantel, I've looked the site up and am interested in the design, sculpting and noses and many more!!!  thanks again
Lydia

lidoushka London

Shelli and Shantel
I joined the beginner bear class yesterday.  Although I have been making bears on and off for three years, I thought it was about time I did something about it as I would love to just make bears and now is the best time for me.
Well I'd better go and start cutting the bear.
Thanks again for giving me the address for Nancy.
Lydia

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Everyone
I have taken Nancy's online design course and it is well worth the money. All of her bear designs start from basic shapes which makes the design process very easy
Hugs
Gail

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

I'm taking Nancy's course in The Business of Bears. It's great! She thinks of everything. These lessons are certainly helping to get my head into the right place. Selling doesn't come naturally to me, but I'm learning. :D

Eileen

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

How do the online courses work? do you have to be online at a specific time or is it like you can go on at your own pace???  I want to sign up but want to know this first (:

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Website

I just finished the Extremely Sculpting and you can sign in whenever you have the time.  With my course it was 30 days with a 15 day grace period.  Ample time to finish all the sculpting which I should add I am very happy with.  I have puffy cheeks, eye sockets and a sculpted mouth.

I would recommend.  When I get a chance I will post some pics.

Jane

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

So is it kind of like an "online book"?

Board footer