Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

beary_clairey Luton

I want to design a bear with a more rounded head and wondered whether a wider head gusset would do it ???

What do you think????

Hugs

Claire

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

I would think so...and I remember reading that for a more realistic panda head with fuller cheeks, some artists put darts in the side head pieces for more fullness. I'm sure someone with more experience can help you more than I can!  bear_smile

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

a center seam gusset can really help. Instead of just splitting it right down the middle in a straight line, make the straight line an arc instead
I will make a picture and post it here

gusset.jpg

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow, Sonya, what a great tip!  Thank you!

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hey Claire, just popping in real quick.

I'm not sure if just the head gusset would do, depending on how big you make them now I suppose. But i would think darts as well. Those will really help you get a nice round shape.

At least that's what i would do anyway........

Website

Sonya, that's a great idea! Have you made a bear with a curved-center-seam gusset? Sounds great!

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

I have made several with this method. I will have to find a picture of one if I can remeber which ones I did it with

Website

Neat--that would be fascinating to see the effect. bear_smile

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

My most recent bear Alexis (posted on the bears and friends section) was made with a curved gusset, and it really gives a round head.

Jane P.

Website

Oh, yes! I see it now. A wonderful effect. bear_thumb

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Thanks for asking the quesiton, Claire.  I was just pondering a center seam head.  Hmm, now I'll try.

How do you place the two gusset pieces on the nap  of the fur???  The same way you would for one???

beary_clairey Luton

Thanks for the tips everyone I will definitely try some of these methods and of course show you all my results !!!

Hugs :hug:

Claire

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Toby wrote:

How do you stitch them together? Would it be similar effect to a four piece body, like how you make the two "boats" where they are curved and it gives more roundness .. I suspect this does the same thing? You will get a rounded edge in the center, therefore making a more rounded dome of head?

Did any of that make sense????

Toby

Yes, it did, Toby!  I havne't done this but my understanding of it is the same as yours.

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

I-Love-Teddy-for-TT.jpgThis is one I made a couple of years ago with the center seam of the gusset cut on a curve.  He is about 16" tall, and took more work than dressing a bear does.  My hands hurt for days after from all the plucking.  However the curve does make a nice round head.  Remember that the whole head will be bigger when you do it, so you may want to reduce the size of all the head pieces a bit.

Jane P.

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

How do you place the two gusset pieces on the nap  of the fur???  The same way you would for one???

When I do a center seam teddy, I place each gusset piece so the nap is going from the center out towwards the ears.

Toby, you are exactly correct.

Jane,  What a sweet guy. He IS worth all of the work.

Sonya

beary_clairey Luton

Jane - what a gorgeous bear !!!

I love that centre seam idea. What a really helpful group of ladies you all are!!!

Big Hugs

Claire

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Wonderful tip, Sonya--thank you! :hug:

I've been experimenting with gusset sizes and darts, but I'll definitely give this a try!

Board footer