Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

arm.jpgI just received my lovely parcel of goodies from CR's Crafts today.   I noticed in the catalogue, that plastic armature is available,  I have never seen it before here in Australia.

What are your thoughts on using Plastic Armature?

Is it better than wire armature?

Love to hear your thoughts, I have only ever used wire, and flexi limbs.

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Hey Karen, I haven't used it in bears but we use it in all our cloth bodied dolls and its wonderful stuff.  I can't see why it wouldn't be as good in bears- if you can design to accomodate it or have the patience to fiddle with hardware to attach it to joints bear_cry Both of which have made me put that plasic armature in the too hard basket for now. bear_original
  Oh, and some people complain that it squeaks- but I can't see why this is a problem because the only time it makes noise is when you move it. WIth some sizes you definitely need the special pliers to snap it together and apart as well.
    Karen

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Cool welcome Karen, nice to see you here. :dance:   Thanks for the insight, I thought the designing  would be a challenge.

Pijangibears Pijangibears
Denmark

Hi Karen

I have used the amatures in the arms of mother to hold her child. See the little picture
under my avatar.
It is not the last time, I will use them. Bur you can't use then in small bears.

:hug:

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Thanks Birgitte your mother and child bear are fabulous, I love the way you have them posed.  :clap:

Denmark

Thank you, Karen

The next thing, I will try with the amature, is to use them from the head to the body.
Hope, that it will work for me - don't know exakly how to do it.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I used them in a 16" nonjointed bear, and an 18"  nonjointed bear.  I loved all the poseability it gives, but the squeaking did put me off a little  bear_ermm   Sounded like I was breaking the bear's arm  bear_shocked   But my bears were able to stand (I did weight the feet to the ankles) and I have to say I loved the effect. 

I think next time I will wrap the whole armature in some batting first, as all I did was use polyfil throughout.  It didn't shift horribly, but I could still feel the armature which was a little off putting for me....felt like 'bones' in there  bear_ermm

I've never used wire or flexi limbs, so I can't really comment...and I've never tried the armatures on jointed bears, so I'm not sure how hard that is.

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Birgitte, your mother and child are adorable, the armature gives them so much more life doesn't it? They have such sweet expressions.

Denmark

Hi Karen

I have only used it in the arms of the mother Petunia, Baby is to small to
have the armature. Petunia can have just straigth arms or bent them to hold
on the baby. I have heard of somebody use it from the head to the body instead
of wooble joint, so you can put the head in any direction you want.
But I don't know how to do it yet.
You can say, they really come to life.

Board footer