Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Tynnateddy sault ste marie

Ok I may be on the wrong spot to post this but will give it a try ...trying to figure out how and the world to do facial sculpting and if there is any tricks or tips i may be missing mine never seems to stay  bear_angry ...its very frustrating !!
Hugs
Tynna

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Tynna: Sculpting can be loads of fun and add personality to you bear. It really depends on what you want to accomplish and how you want your bear to look like. Taking tiny stitches in the areas you want to shape is one way. For instance to sink in your eye, going back and forth in the eye sockets will sink in the eyes and give finished, sunken-in look.

Tiny stitches up and down the nose give a pinched in look or makes the nose narrower. You go back and forth with tiny stitches, crisscrossing back and forth moving up the nose.

Scissor sculpting the face give personality.

Perhaps if you can tell us Tynna what you look you want and we can help you figure out how to do it.

Also I understand Nancy Tillberg holds a lot of classes on line and sculpting faces is one of them. Her book "101 Bears to Make" is a good book to get that explains sculpting and all kinds of techniques in bear making. I highly recommend it. Below is the link to clases Nancy has on line. Take a look. There is one for sculpting.

http://www.kranbearys.com/EbearZ/faq.htm

Hope this points you in the right direction and if there is a special look you want, just ask. There is always somebody who knows what to do....

Bear Hugs

Michelle

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Tynna, Michelle has given good advice. Listen to her. 
Also have a look in the Tips and techniques forum. I know it has been discussed in quite some detail here on TT.
I use artificial sinew for my sculpting. It is quite tacky and has a great grip. So the thread stays in place without slippage. I use it for eyes and closures. There isnt anything this stuff cant do.
Goood luck on your search. Maybe someone else will come by with more info for you.
Wendy bear_thumb

Tynnateddy sault ste marie

Thanks you guys !!!! I,m going to give it a shot today but i use safety eyes so not quite sure how thats going to work with doing the stitched back and forth in the eye socket , I have never used glass eyes and would like to use some kind of fabric and oh wait  lol to make eyelids as i have never yet , I wonder if there is a swap board on here...you know like i have some safety eyes and someone is willing to swap for a set of glass eyes ....making sure that monetary is equal of course....as i can,t get glass eyes here and do not like to put my credit card out there....if anyone is interested please let me know...just an idea!!!! bear_thumb
Bear Hugs
Tynna

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I have sculpted the safety eyes years ago.  Many times I would attach threads to the back of the eyes when I put the locking device on them.  I made the threads long enough to come out the back of the head then stuffed around them.  After the head was stuffed then I would pull the threads so that the eyes sunk down into eye sockets.  If I didn't remember to do that before I set the eyes then I would take small stitches at the edge of the eye and go to the base of the neck back and anchor the eye there.  Then I would do a stitch from the eye down to the front of the neck.  Do this on both sides of the eyes.  You can also drill a hole in the shaft of the safety eye and put thread through that.
Donna

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Tynna, a great tip I learned from Michelle Lamb's workshop in Schaumburg was when you are making your stitches, don't just pull the thread (or artificial sinew... I like that best too).  You want to take your other finger and press in where you want the indentation to be... and then your stitch holds it in place. 

I've also sent you a PM....

Board footer