Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

angelbear216 Posts: 9

Hi,

I am a new member to this group.  I've been a teddy bear collector for a short time but my main goal is to first buy a real fur bear and 2nd learn how to make a real fur bear. 

Is there any videos you can buy for something like this?  I'm a visual person.  I live in CT in the USA and am not sure if there are any classes around my area I can take?  Or anyone on this group who teaches how to make a fur bear?  I need to buy my first sewing machine even.  But I am a stay at home mom and I'd really love to accomplish a goal like this so I am hoping to find a way to learn to make some bears. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.   bear_flower

Thanks,

Lisa

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Several of our TT members make genuine fur bears, Lisa, and have them for sale right here on our board.  Check out the "Teddy Bears and Other Friends" forum.  A good place to start with making fur bears is Nancy Tillberg's book Teddy Bears With a Past . . . she is also a member here.  Hope this helps and a big welcome to the TT family!

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_grin I have a real fur ted looking for a home currently.... "Davey Wavey".  You can click on his pic to go see his page, or on my website.

I'd HIGHLY recommend Nancy Tillberg's "Teddy Bears with a Past"  bear_thumb   She lays everything out so clear and concise, and there's lots, n lots of pictures.  Also, you don't have to have a sewing machine, I do all my sewing by hand.  No matter which method you go with, you'll need leather or glover needles to sew the real fur.  Well, I suppose if it was something ultra thin like fox or mink or squirrel you could get by with a regular needle, but personally I'd recommend the leather needles. 

I think the best thing is to leap in and start making your first bear.  You'll learn as you go, and with each new ted you'll keep improving.  bear_wub   

:hug: Welcome to the wonderful world of teddies!  :hug:

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Hi Lisa,
Welcome to the group.  I also make mostly fur bears and I'm a stay at home mom too !   I highly recommend Nancy Tillbergs book and her online class for creating a  fur heirloom bear   http://www.kranbearys.com/EbearZ/index.htm.  I am self taught and started out making bear with the real fur.   I would suggest starting with mohair or a synthetic for your first attempts.

Real fur is a whole bigger challenge and can be discouraging to start on.  The most imporrtant thing with real fur is to cut out the pattern in muslin/cotton then lightly glue that to the back of the pelt . Them cut out only the backing so as not to cut the actual fur/hairs.

If I can offer any advice email or PM me any time.  Also, check through the library at the top of this column ( see the smilie waving his hands in the air ) and look under real fur.

Have fun !

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Forgot to add, for your first real fur bear, go with a larger sized bear... minimum of 12", and I'd go with mink or rabbit for a first fur.  The rabbit is cheaper, but I've found mink to be a much more forgiving fur for the first time.  Its not as annoying with all that fluffy, floating fur, and I found rabbit slips more than mink. 

The larger sized bear will be easier to turn the pieces and work with, and yes, as Tammy's warned you will need to line your real fur with muslin. 

I actually started with real fur, then tried the mohair, but have quickly gone back to real fur as I've got allergies to the synthetics and mohair...

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Welcome to the family, Lisa, We are happy to have you.

We mostly play nice and we get to learn so very much here....it is great.  Youve a lot of typing to do if you waNT TO catch up with Sue Ann

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Welcome, Lisa!  I agree with what's been said; Nancy's book is terrific.  I've only made one bear out of real fur -- I used mink and made a biggish, 15+ inch guy -- but I couldn't have done it without Nancy's book and advice.  I also took her online heirloom bear course even though I'm an experienced bearmaker.  I learned a lot!

Have fun!

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Welcome Lisa and glad that you have come to join us.
Wishing you much luck with making your first bear.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Welcome Lisa: you are in the right place to learn about bear!!! I think the books the others suggested are wonderful and will help you. 

I took never sewed a stitch in my life before making bears. I too bought a sewing machine so I could learn. I agree with Tammy when it comes to making your first few bears. Start with synthetic or mohain to get the feel of sewing and bear construction. You may want to look at a local fabric store like Joanne Fabrics to see if somebody gives classes for making stuffed animals. This will give you some practice and lessons on pattern pieces and a sewing machine. 

Post your questions. We will help you.

Michelle

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Welcome Lisa ... your in the right place for help and advice..

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Welcome Lisa,

I agree with others.  You should read Nancy Tillberg's book.  It is a great help.  I have made several real fur bears, and it was this book that helped me most.

angelbear216 Posts: 9

Thank you everyone for all of your advice and helpful tips!  bear_thumb    I'll get Nancy's book to start with and go from there.  At least I have some contact names now so I can ask questions which I'm sure I'll have lots of!  I haven't sewn anything since high school so this should be interesting!!   bear_grin

Board footer