Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I came across this auction when I was surfing in eBay - something about the fact that results were guaranteed caught my eye.

Not stated in the auction/ad/website but the opinion of the person giving the link.

In theory, any shape could have an injection mold made from it and be reproduced ad infinitum ad nauseam.

This is Art???

Please tell me this is not a trend that will catch on!!!!

http://www.withloverose.com/products.html?src=overture

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Bobbie,
Thanks for sharing this, but.... Ohhhh yuck!!! certainly takes the OOAK out of it...doesn't it? Like mass production...While some might just fall for it...they will be missing out on the whole joy of taking some wool & creating something unique & special... :doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh: bear_wacko I don't see this as art...and I too hope it doesn't catch on...never never never!!

Hugs &

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

I commented in the other thread.  Definately not art but good for beginners or crafters who aren't going to try and sell it!

K P Bear K P Bear
Lewiston

I did see this ad somewhere else. But I did not realise it was a mould. That is a bit cheeky. And some one that starts out with no aim to sell may think it is soo easy I will now sell this as my own. Not a good thought.
Lena 27.gif

Ripley, Queensland

but that can happen with anyhting unfortunately, you just hope that people try to do the right thing.
Just lately I have seen a couple of patterns that have been duplicated and people selling them as there own.  Hopefully people will just see it as a bit of fun and maybe encourage them to move into their own creativity.  I have seen needlefelting kits sold saying on the pack you have all you need in here to duplicate this cat/dog/bear is that really any different?

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

have seen needlefelting kits sold saying on the pack you have all you need in here to duplicate this cat/dog/bear is that really any different?

Actually yes. The difference is like black & white.

The word the kit designer used should more correctly be replicate. Duplicate is nearly impossible for most, as every thrust of the needle and/or strand of fiber added changes the pc and no 2 will have everything done exactly alike.

But 'most' kits will direct one to how much fiber to start the basic shapes with, how to connect them, add to them, remove what's out-of-line, etc... That's building from the ground up and teaches you what to repeat or avoid in the future, according to one's own vision of what's in your mind's eye.

This kit would be approaching a building that has been built, sheathed in siding, and you get to paint the exterior surface.

Most likely the kits you've seen WILL result in something resembling a dog/cat/bear...
But this would most likely only 'duplicate' the original. Right down to the color choice of the developer.

Ripley, Queensland

I can see where you are coming from.  bear_original
I still disagree a little though.  As with all kits no matter how someone is instructed and shown step for step everything will be determined by the person.  It will have a similar finish to the original (if they wish) but I think that is what most people hope when they buy a kit anyway.
IF someone enjoys it they will look further afield and find a whole new world.
People can figure out if they like something... oh yes I like painting and then find out that real painting has nothing to do with neat little areas itall blends and runs into each other.
When I started out in craft in general this past year (I am not kidding) my concepts o how to do something drastically changed from buying kits to doing my own.  I also learnt that there is no real right or wrong just different.
Now needlefeltig onto foam isn't the right way to needlefelt is what you are saying.  Why?  Why is it so wrong?  When people started crocheting bears and knitting bears they weren't considered real artist bears at first.... now it has changed.
Why can't there be more then one way to needle felt?  It is different to how you do it but does that necessarily make it wrong?  Would it still be wrong if they cut the shape of their own foam and needlefelted to it or is it just someone selling it mass produced?
As long as no one is selling the 'mass produced' foam bear then why is it wrong?

:hug:

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Art is art and making money is making money. Black and white. Someone has an idea, it makes money , it sells, and the end user is happy.

Lynette

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

HHHMMMM. The problem with the term, "art" is that it is too vague.  You could dip you dogs tail in paint, slap it on a canvas and call it  "art".  Anyone can call themself an artist....but if you were a doctor, you would have to go to school and earn a degreee.  I wish there were some kind of criteria that would define ART a bit better.

I think this bear kit is more of a CRAFT and should not be called art.

K P Bear K P Bear
Lewiston

I agree it is not art.
Lena 107.gif

Board footer