Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I don't needle felt but I have a small kit of supplies and an idea for making a hairpiece for a doll.

Would it be possible to felt wool yarn or roving directly into a piece of regular wool felt that I bought at a craft store?  I'm thinking I would cut the piece of felt to shape, to be the "pate," or base of the wig.

Or would I be better off, and end up with a more secure result, if I felted the "base" or pate first, out of roving, and then added the yarn or roving "locks" to that hand-felted bit?

Thanks for any tips & pointers you can offer!

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Shelli, the other day I was reading a post in the needlefelting section with a link to a hair felting tutorial.  It was pretty good and probably just what you're looking for.  I'll see if I can find it.

OK, I found it in another forum.  Here it is.

http://www.fiberandfigures.com/hair2.html

tinybear The SleepingElf
UK

I was just gonna suggest something like that
I went on a Kathy Hays course ..she is great
we learnt several styles of wig making using wool

you can also needle the wool onto wool  felt
with cloth dolls you can needle straight onto the head ..although I have never tried

Ive also used Mohair to wig a resin head
cover the head with a plastic bag , ...tight this will be your wig cap
then use a thick PVA glue coat the wig . Then bed the hair in the glue

it wont wash (UNLESS you use the waterproof pva ) but its very realistic

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

You gals are great and you crack me up.  Actually, the link you've posted is the very tutorial I have already read (and saved, and printed), and I was trying to find a shortcut out of felting the base pate first (which is what the tutorial recommends), and wondering if I could use regular felt instead.  Great minds... :)

Thank you anyway!

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Shelli,
I would think you could...I have needle felted to store bought felt pieces before...I say...give it a try...might work really well!!!
Hugs &

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Regular felt works I have done it on paw pads before, you can also improvise by sewing your felting pieces onto it if it doesn't felt on so well.   Just trial it on a test piece see if it works for your project and ideas.

Good luck would love to see the end results, felting is heaps of fun.  bear_original

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Shelli ,Charlotte and Karen, it works. I have done it many times. bear_thumb

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

I've done it too and haven't had any problems.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Shel I did it that way when I did my pumpkin stack.... the "leaves" of the pumpkin started with green felt cut to shape... then I did tons of needlefelting to add dimension and different colors... and the stem itself is solidly needlefelted.

stack1.jpg

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Shel,

The two ATCs I made were done using a piece of wool felt as the 'card' and then felting wool roving onto them in the shape of a bear. Worked a treat!

At the risk of mentioning that 4 letter word some cringe at.... once you've felted into the wool felt you can spread a bit of GLUE over the back of the felt for some extra reassurance that what you've felted on is going to stay. I've read to do this some where... I haven't needed to try it though.

Daphne

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I needle felt the golly hair straight onto their little heads ....another reason for not giving them mouths until every last thing is done....

I imagine their screaming would drive me more insane than I am already.....

but if I were to make a real wig, I would use stretchy fabric Shelli, so that it could be pulled tich when you adhear it to the doll head.....kind of like wigs for people are stretchy....

I only know this because my hairdresser used to wear wigs.  She shaved her hair off in a fit of pique....since then I have inherited her wigs to use for my dolls.....

dilu

if you decide to needlefelt to the head, use a good basic 36 t and avoid seams if at all possible, nothing will bend the needle faster than a really well sewn seam.

sigh.....

Board footer