Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

I was wondering where people from the UK buy their eyes from? I usually get mine from either V & N Bear Supplies or BearCountryUK but I am SICK of the eyes not being evenly matched!! It doesn't seem to be a problem for the bigger eyes I use but more so on the 4/5mm ones that I use for my miniatures. I have so many single eyes that never match with another one because they are slightly bigger/smaller than the rest or mis-shaped. I'd prefer to pay a bit more for my eyes and have them evenly matched so I am able to use ALL of them. The ones I use are German, are the English ones any better?

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Sorry Jemma, but I think the matching problem won't be solved anywhere.  I've come to the conclusion that since the eyes are handmade, they aren't ever going be perfectly matched since the sizes ARE so so very small.  I've had the same problem - tried different places, and I have that problem everywhere - even the supply business' that say "these eyes are well matched..."  The larger eyes are well matched, but not really with the smaller ones.  I buy in huge bulk, and that helps because I have 100 pairs to match them up with eachother.

Hope this helps.
Danni

sarahjane Brisbane

I find the same Gemma and haven"t been able to find a solution yet, like Danni I try to buy in bulk when I can.

tinybear-dk TinyBear
Denmark

Hi Gemma

I agree with Danny. I have tried many company´s and it´s the same
everywhere. I too buy a lot to try and match. I use 4 and 5 mm like you do and it´s so
irritating when they are not even. bear_angry

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I always buy the premium quality English glass eyes .. they have a 'straight' loop and are great quality.  I usually buy them in from Intercal or Oakley Fabrics.

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

I use the same ones Paula, but have the same problem with the small small eyes (2mm 3mm and 4mm)

Danni

clare14 Country Bears
England

Should've gone to specsavers......   :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

I have had the same problems, but I keep all my eyes and keep matching them as I go.......  bear_original

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

You can get the straight loop eyes from Christie Bears and Admiral Bears in the UK. I have to admit that I rarely notice mismatching among my glass eyes, but that may be due to my own poorly matching eyes  bear_laugh

juliah Bracken Bears
Suffolk
Website

Hi

I haven't been posting recently but came across your question about eyes.  I used to get German eyes but found like yourself that they were often different sizes so I decided to shop around a bit. I now order mine from Bear Basics and these are English and I find them so much better.  I don't have half as many problems with these eyes.  The web address is:  www.bearbasics.co.uk  I hope this helps.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Gemma ,I just think the manufacturers are just lazy. I have  a number of glass eye sets from a russian artist and they are beautifully matched.  Now if this artist can do it ? ..................
I'll see if I can find the link for you or you can speak to Julia. She will be able to help you.
Here is her website http://www.wool-bulb.com/glazki.html

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Maybe we need a bear artist to take up glass blowing And THEN we may get some evenly matched eye sizes.

Board footer