Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Pages:
Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi all.  I love Jeremy's idea and commented as much on the separate thread he posted which restates it.  Specifically, I wrote the following:

Excellent recommendation, Jeremy; thank you.

I'm going to say here what I'll also post to the original thread (which you've so kindly referenced.)  And that is that while the pin idea is a fantastic one -- truly; I love it! -- if we create pins in the same fashion we created the TT t-shirts, it will require an up-front layout of cash on the part of Intercal, the owner of our beloved forum.  I'm not sure it's up to us, the readership, no matter how proud we are to sport the TT logo!, to "pin" that kind of financial responsibility on the forum ownership so publicly, without having at least run the idea past them, first.

This particular option that Jeremy has recommended, which indeed looks to be a place that produces very nice work indeed!, would require a minimum order of 100 pins, which, in the smallest size, totals out to nearly $300 up front, as production cost.

If five (5) people order pins, that would leave Intercal with a rather large loss and a lot of pin-ventory; one that I, for one, would not want to take on, personally.

Let me pass this idea by the big cheeses at Intercal and see what they have to say about it before we get too enthusiastic, okay?

If we can't find a way to have pins made via this type of mass-production manufacturing process, I'm sure we can find outfits on the internet which allow us to print up pins one at a time.  They may not be beautiful, embossed metal pins, but they would be attractive.  I created the logo myself and with permission I would gladly reconfigure it to whatever dimensions are required, with the permission of the forum owners, should need be.

I'm thinking some place like Cafe Press (although I haven't looked there yet for pins, specifically), which prints ON DEMAND, might be a good option.  Lulu.com is a printing press which will print books in that same fashion -- ON DEMAND, meaning:  as they are ordered.  One at a time.  This ON DEMAND type of print process would NOT require an up-front outlay of cash, which would make for a lot less red tape and involvement on the part of the forum owners, who are busy enough filling orders and keeping the books on their current product line of mohair and bearmaking supplies -- and t-shirts!

More later, when we Advisors have spoken with the powers that be...

Thank you, Jeremy and everyone else, for your wonderful suggestions!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Oh, and I want to add that it's not just the financial aspect that concerns.  It's not quick or easy -- someone has to be paid to do the work -- to add catalog items, and to reconfigure a shopping cart, on a website.  Not to mention the shipping and handling costs, ordering headaches, etc. that go along with something like this.  I'm just reluctant to saddle Intercal with ANY of this work if we can somehow get the pins made in another way, which doesn't involve them directly.  And I know you all know that, technically, you're violating copyright in using the TT logo to create your own pins, and that's illegal.  I don't think, intuitively, that anyone at TT or Intercal is going to have a problem with that -- you're wonderful to want to support and advertise the forum in this way, and even without "knowing," I "know" the owners are appreciative and grateful, as am I in my role as Advisor here; I'm sure the other Advisors feel the same -- but it's just something to keep in mind as you proceed independently in your pin making, all the same.

Again, let me see where the owners are on this idea, generally, before we move to specifics.  More later, when I've heard back!  It truly is a wonderful idea if we can make it work.

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Shelli
Hi there! I thought of the copyright thingy too. I kind of figured Intercal more than likely wouldn't mind if I made a few personal pins as it would be advertising for them. But that being said, I donm't want to step on any toes. If you could, when you talk to Intercal, would you find out if they mind if we did our own as an alternative? If they object, I have no problem destoying the 3 I made.
Sonya

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Oh, I'm sure it won't be a problem at all, Sonya.  I think the gesture and comments you've all made here are being seen for what they are: an attempt to showcase pride in, and a close relationship with, our forum!  That can only be a good thing.  In my book, anyway.

Will keep you all updated...

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Well..I am with Sonya I do not want to step on any toes. I do understand that many people could be saying, we want a pin but, maybe later, Intercal could be stuck with a BIG bill. I wanted to be able to wear something that  will say, without words, I do belong to a group that I am very proud to belong to and that is why I got the idea, brought it to this forum and  printed the logo ( Wonderful  job Shelly :clap:  I did not know it was your design! ) but, if there is any problem and they ( Intercal ) do not want us to make our own ( not to sale, to wear ) I will not wear  the one I made  and I will understand if Sonya destroy hers  ( they are so nice bear_sad  Thank you  so very much for thinking of me when you made them Sonya ) I am so grateful to Intercal for starting and keeping this forum. In here, many of us made new friends!  We can get help when we need it, not only in bear making but with so many things more! Thank you so very much to Intercal and to all the Advisors that are always willing to "listen" and guide us!
THANKS!!
Sonya and Donna I am sure we'll find each other at the show.
Bear hugs and Golly smiles.
Gladys bear_flower

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

WOW!! We just had a small earthquake.... Only 2.9 but, very close to where we live just the next city...It was 7 miles below surface...I hope and pray is just "another" little one and not the one before a BIG one!! California is beautiful and ..there is something everywhere but, earthquake?? You sometimes forget about them till...you feel it!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

You guys are SEEN as the good people you are who mean well; no worries.  Nobody is ticked at you and in fact the mgmt. (and me too) is flattered that you'd create buttons to wear that showcase and advertise the TT logo.  We're in touch "behind the scenes" and exploring options to create buttons "officially" or to provide you with files here on TT that you can download which will print at high resolution and create the best possible quality for you to sport on your lapel!  Still firming up plans here; give us a day or so.  Do wear what you've already created with pride.  It's appreciated!

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Shelli and Gladys,
I thought I should clarify here. I don't know what Intercal is doing behind the scenes on this issue, but I did receive a phone call from them today regarding this. They have no objection whatsoever to us making or weariung pins with the teddy talk logo. In fact, they liked them. If they decide to invest in getting some made, great! But in the meantime they said that is is just fine to do what we are doing right now in making our own. In fact they asked me to stop by thier booth in San Deigo to show them the pins that I made. So Gladys, don't worry, I am bringing you a pin. Now you will have to come by my table to get it! :crackup: cause I probably won't know you until I see you wearing it    :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:
I think I am in space 62? or 63? ... it will be on the table map that Amber and Connie will have for us.
Hugs
Sonya

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

That was entirely my understanding of the pin-making gestures being made, Sonya, and I'm glad you heard it directly from the horse's mouth (not that the folks at Intercal are horses, mind you!) that it's totally okay that you've made pins to show off your fondness for the forum.  Thanks for sharing what you heard, here.

Let me clarify as well.  My concern, earlier in this thread, was that momentum seemed to be building that positioned Intercal in the spotlight as the entity to create and supply the pins going FORWARD.  So I wanted to offer a "Whoa; hold on a minute"  to THAT particular direction of conversation, so that people didn't get too invested in doing research on firms and outfits that could manufacture pins FOR INTERCAL, or in the idea that pins would soon be available here THROUGH INTERCAL, before we had even discussed it behind the scenes as an option that Intercal might officially "back" or "finance" or "sponsor" or whatever.

All is well!

Hey... Have great fun at the show, gals.  I'd be there myself but for my son's gymnastics meet all day Saturday way up here in Sacto.  Take pictures please!  Lotsa pictures!  Especially of your cute pins!

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Sonya,
You are the best!  I have not had a minute to even think bears or the show. 
See you Sat.
Bear Hugs,
Donna

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

HURRAY!! bear_thumb  THANKS INTERCAL!!! :clap:
Thank you Shelli for your efforts bear_wub
Sonya and Donna I am looking forward to meet  both of you!
Happy BIG bear hugs and very wide Golly smiles.
Gladys bear_flower

articicle Posts: 119

If the high ups at teddy talk want to make some buttons, or for that matter, bumperstickers, coffee cups, calanders... there are places like "cafe press" that the logo can be downloaded into and printed on demand one at a time or more, of course with shipping it could get pricy.  not sure if anyone else mentioned it.  Computer printing press machines can print you one novel at a time if you really want to rather than print 'runs" of hundreds or thousands.

the ones that folks are making so far I think look great.  I like both the retangle and the round ones... too bad you cant squeeze a bear picture on the button though.

there are also button makers in craft stores if people really get into this.

articicle

Pages:

Board footer