Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

SANDMAN5x7Close72dpi.jpgThis little guy is my one and only contest entry bear for this year's US magazine competitions.  He was so fun to make!  He's my first ever "mixed media" piece and I used all kinds of snippets and swatches on him; mohair, chiffon, linen, glitter glue (as paint), metal snips, pipecleaners, ribbon, yarn, beads, glass, wire, embroidery floss, paints, embossing stamps, ink, nylon stockings, felt.  You name it!  As I mentioned elsewhere, I even created a new eye technique for him that's entirely sewing- and fabric-based and uses NO GLUE (which, I realize, some of you are really passionate about.)  I enjoyed making his little crescent moon out of muslin and acrylic paints; it's needle sculpted.  And he holds a little pile of "sand" on his hand which I made from Liquid Beadz.  He also has thumbs!

He's bringing you sweet dreams!

13 inches

SANDMAN5x7Full72dpi2.jpg

PS  A sweet and concerned someone has already written me, worried that the backdrop I chose for MR. SANDMAN might disqualify him.  Eek!  Well, I really hope not. 

The backdrop IS a solid color, as specified -- it's deep navy blue velvet and there are no color variations in it at all; anything you see that looks like color variations is just the play of light across the crinkly velvet surface of this fabric.   And it's NOT draped or folded; it just has a crinkly finish, but is otherwise hung straight from a rod in my photo closet.  Keep your fingers crossed for me, won't you?, that the judges will realize these two things, and not shelve my entry because they think I've disregarded the backdrop rule (backdrops must be a solid color -- mine is! -- and not draped -- mine's not!.) 

bear_sad

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Shelli! What a beautiful fellow! I love what you have done with him and he is truly a winner! Gorgeous and good for you for experimenting with new teqniques! It works wonderfully!

Hugs Louise

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

It takes someone with huge imagination, romantic spirit and creativity bursting out of them to come up with a piece like this ...
It's fun, accomplished and Mr Sandman is definitely a 'dream' as far as I'm concerned!! :clap:  :clap:

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

If this guy doesn't get a nomination, there's no justice in the world!  He is wonderfully wistful and I've fallen in love with him!!  He also embodies the true spirit of the teddy bear ... there's no way a backdrop should interfere with that magic!

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Shelli, your Sandman is truly a work of art ! ! !   Every detail delights.

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Shelli,
He's beautiful! Take it from a many times contest person. Your backdrop is fine, don't worry!
Karen

NewelleyBears Newelley.Bears
Harrow, Ontario

Shelli...

What can I say, this bear is NOTHING short of amazing.  Just like the artist who created him!  Your work continually showcases your originality and creativity.  The details are just wonderful.

Congrats on another fabulous bear...

Jeremy

Newelley.Bears

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Wow!  Such kind compliments from people whose talent always inspires; what a wonderful gift.  THANK YOU!

To Karen, especially; thanks for the reassurance.  I try to follow the rules for these contests and frankly, everywhere in my life.  I'm happy to make waves when necessary but find it's always easiest not to, if wave-making can be avoided.  Why complexify when it's not necessary to do so?  Life is hard enough. I admit, I had a wee panic attack when it was pointed out that if people misread my photo, my backdrop might disqualify my one and only entry this year.  Your confidence in stating that it's all okay has really reassured me; thanks.

Jeremy -- That's maybe the nicest thing anyone has said to me in a really long time.  Thank you so much; you've truly made my week!

sarahjane Brisbane

Just wonderful Shelli...The detail in Mr Sandman is astounding  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

nettie scotland
Website

He just sums up my all time favourite song By Roy orbison!!!I love him.The colours go so well ,he is quite surreal and comforting.Wish he would "tiptoe to my room every night,just to sprinkle startdust and to whisper,go to sleep everything is alright"""If you were here you would be experiencing my beautiful singing voice ha ha.
Diane xxx

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

There aren't enough superlatives in my vocabulary to describe this piece, Shelli!  How extraordinary Mr. Sandy is!  You've stepped waaaaaaaay out of the box and have come up with an exceptional creation.  Kudos and bravo!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Stitch SanguineCreations
Wales

He's wonderful. Good luck for the competition. He is a delight.

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Congratulations Shelli on a truly wonderful creative piece of work. This creation must have taken you hours to complete but the end result was worth it. So nice to see one of your bears again. Good luck in the competitions
Hugs
Gail :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

kate Kates Mates
Malua Bay

He is just what dreams are made of!  Beautiful!
Congrats
Kate
:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Shelli, you amazes me every time I look at your new creations.
This is a trully an art piece. So much work and soul and passion in this little fellow. I would be delighted if this Sandman comes to me ...

PS I love this night sky background. Looks perfect to me.

I saw you use thta graffic site? I'm really glad I could help you.
Makes me feel I touch your talents  bear_laugh  :hug:

hugs, Julia  :hug:

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

:clap:  :clap: WOW Shelli!!!  Mr. Sandman is simply amazing!!! bear_thumb  bear_thumb Wonderfully original concept, and so beautifully done (no surprise that, as you created him bear_wub )!  I predict good things regarding the competitions. bear_flower

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

I  love your new bear Shelli - Mr. Sandman truly is a "dream".  His smiling face is perfect.

Jane P.

K Pawz Guest

OMG Shelli!!! he is gorgeous.....I am glad I haven't entered any into his category or I would for sure be throwing my money down the drain!!!

Hugs,
Krista

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

bear_original  Really lovely comments to awaken to this morning.  Thank you for your kindness!  bear_flower

K P Bear K P Bear
Lewiston

What a wonderful bear. Love the differnt fabrics.
Lena 64.gif

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

WOW! Mr. Sandman is wonderful! I'm sure the judges will focus on the lovely expression and the attention to evry detail that obviously went into this piece and not a wee bit of texture in the background!  bear_thumb

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

If I might inquire.....(with downcast eyes and shuffling my feet on the floor).....what catagory did you list the fabulously creative and whimsically wonderful Mr. Sandman in?

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

He's under 14 inches so he's small/dressed; this is the first time I'm entering that category.  Thought I'd try something new and bear-related since my past nods have come for "friends!"  If you entered that category, Aleta, I'm the one shuffling my feet with head downcast.  I've been really blessed with my entries the last two years with a nomination and a win, and I'm unbelievably grateful and still very giddy about those outcomes.  But keep in mind that those two nods represent a total of eight entries over two years, meaning that the vast majority of my pieces -- like almost everyone else who enters, I'd imagine -- don't receive official notice from the comps.

I actually considered skipping the competitions entirely this year and allowing myself a stress-free approach to Christmas after all that stress-related heart palpitation mumbo jumbo I had going on last summer which scared the life nearly out of me, but I had this SANDMAN idea really just burning a hole in me, and it seemed a perfect fit to the circumstances, so off his photos went to the TOBY and GT contests.

If you entered, too, Aleta -- and to anyone else who did -- I wish you much good luck, and remind you (and myself!) that nominations do not confer you with, or rob you of, your unique talent.  They are what they are -- lovely and wonderful, but not what defines you as an artist or a person.  Keep it in perspective!

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

Wow, Shelli......  wonderfully creative!!!  Love the purple-ish nose...........

samanthapotter Mary Myrtle Miniatures
Cheltenham, UK
Website
Shelli wrote:

nominations do not confer you with, or rob you of, your unique talent.  They are what they are -- lovely and wonderful, but not what defines you as an artist or a person.  Keep it in perspective!

:clap: Well said Shelli!!

I really wouldn't worry about the background - I'm sure the judges will be too busy drooling over your amazing creation to even see the background!!!
Mr Sandman is definitely what bear artistry is all about!!!  I am in awe!! bear_wub

Board footer