Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Books have influenced my life so much, and now, I see them in my bears...so what were your favourite books when you were growing up?

Mine were,
Wind in the Willows
Noddy (when he wasn't banned lol)
I searched for every last Munch Bunch book when I was 7 and still have them  bear_tongue
The Faraway tree series...
Golden books, the ones with the little girls looking after their dollies, or helping mummy. (a wanna be mummy from the beginning!)
and
Snugglepot and Cuddlepie

dusty attic dusty attic bears
somerset

I have always loved reading and I am still a total book worm now (when I get time)
My favorate books when I was a child were......
All of the roald dahl books.
Charlotte's web.
The wierd stone of brazingaman.(not sure of the spelling)
And when I was really little, I really love the very hungry catterpiller. bear_grin

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Ohhhh the hungry catepiller!!!  Now that brings back memories  bear_innocent

sarahjane Brisbane

When I was really small I loved Peter Rabbit.....then graduated to Famous Five, Secret Seven and The Silver Brumby  bear_grin

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

The books I remember most were Old Yeller and Where the red fern grows.
Both stories about a child and his pet. I remember just bawling at the end of where the red fern grows

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Bobbsey Twins for sure, I read them at my grandmothers when I was a little girl and my daughter and I are still collecting them although they are very hard to find and sometimes very pricy bear_sad

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I had  book called "Twinkle Twinkle" or something like that that had nursery rhymes in it and the book would play twinkle twinkle little star when the cover was open....

I also loved Dr. Seuss but my mom hated Dr. Seuss (she didn't like reading books that rhymed! LOL)

I also had a book "Great Job Amelia Bedelia" that I loved LOL...

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

dont remember any in particular from early childhood but some of my faves from early teenage years(and i own them now bear_grin )are

hatchet - gary paulson
the great gilly hopkins and bridge to terabithia - katherine patterson
thunderwith - libby hathorn
i heard the owl call my name - margeret craven
people might hear you - robin klein(and tales of a forth grade nothing series)
the house that was eureka - nadia wheatley
tommorow when the war began series - john marsdon
rohan of rin series - emily rhodda
lockie leonard - tim winton

theres just too many,ive always loved reading.

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Black Beauty was my all time favorite.......read that one over and over so that I still remember the entire story bear_wub

The Little House on the Prairie series is a close second.  Still love watching the old TV shows of this too.

I still have my old copies of these books........and will keep them forever no doubt. bear_wub  bear_wub

Oh, two more: Where the Wild Things Are, and The Bridge to Tarabithia (sp?)........oh, and The Chronicles of Narnia too.  I saw there is to be a movie of Tarabithia coming out soon......can't wait to see that one! :dance:

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I absolutely loved books.  Although I did not own any books as a child, I always left the school library with an armload.  I have made up for not owning books, I now have shelves and shelves of them.  I climbed the book ladder beginning with Peter Rabbit.  I then graduated to Black Beauty, Billy and Blaze, The Black Stallion etc.  I eventually made it to the James Herriott series, All Creatures Great and Small etc.  As you can see, my books all had a common thread - animals.  As far back as I can remember animals have been a big part of my life.

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I love children's books and always had my nose stuck in a book when I was a youngster.  My favourites were:

Winnie the Pooh
What Katy Did
Little Women
Anne of Green Gables
Pollyanna
The Faraway Tree
The Famous Five
Peter Pan
Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales
Tom's Midnight Garden
The Water Babies
Doctor Doolittle
Brer Rabbit
Treasure Island
The Hobbit
Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse
The Velveteen Rabbit
Alice in Wonderland
Paddington Bear
Just so Stories
Tanglewood Tales

.... I could be here listing all day, so I'll leave it there!  I could also add The Chronicles of Narnia and Lord of the Rings ... but I was eighteen when I read those both for the first time.  Also, I loved 'The Iron Man' by Ted Hughes, but was in my 30's when I first read that!!

It's interesting seeing other people's favourites ... I think we can possibly work out TT'ers ages from the books they list!

Children's books shouldn't just be for children.  bear_thumb

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Corduroy
The Pokey Little Puppy
Peppermint
The Little Bear Series
The Ugly Duckling
Winnie the Pooh

As I got older:
Charolotte's Web
The Judy Blume books
Little House on the Prairie
Stuart Little

I read so much.... I can't even begin to remember them all!

Are children's books typically about animals or are those just the ones I was drawn to?

samanthapotter Mary Myrtle Miniatures
Cheltenham, UK
Website

When I was little I loved reading so much that I wanted to be a librarian!!!
My favourites when I was very young were all the Shirley Hughes stories - they had such amazing pictures.  I just got a whole book of her stories this christmas, and they brought back such great memories.  If you've never read Dogger by Shirley Hughes then I can highly recommend it!!!
As a teenager I loved a series called The Babysitter's Club.  I read every single one so many times.  I also enjoyed the Judy Blume books, and Sweet Valley Twins (funnily enough all American books!)  Not exactly classics, but I loved them!!  I was still at school when the first Harry Potter books appeared, and they are now my absolute favourites!!  Don't seem to get much chance to read these days, so I listen to the Harry Potter audiobooks whilst sewing!!!

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I still have all of these in my studio, I love the illustrations! bear_wub
All Maurice Sendak & Seuss Books (of course)
Pierre is probably my favorite Maurice Sendak
Bonhomme and the Huge Beast by Laurent de Brunhoff
Miss Suzy by Miriam Young
Mines the Best by Crosby Bonsall
Seeds and more seeds by Millicent E Selsam
Miss Nelson is Missing by James Marshall
The Point (a record album, but can with a "comic book" insert) Harry Nilssson music /Ringo Star Narrated

In the 4th grade I had the most amazing and creative teacher, Mrs Rogers.  No matter what was happening she would stop class at the last half hour or so and read to us.  That was the best year ever....Superfudge, Freckle Juice, Tales of the 4th grade Nothing, How to eat fried worms. 

edit:  Holy guacamole!! How did I leave off Harold and the Purple Crayon?!!

:hug:
~Chrissi

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

reading this post its nice to know how many people used to and still enjoy a good book bear_original
where the wild things are - my 2 year old son just loves bear_wub  bear_wub that book with a vengance
he calles it "rahh"(say it out loud)

K Pawz Guest

The Runaway Flying Horse, i have no idea who it was by...and the black stallion series by Walter Farley...

Hugs,
Krista

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

The Bobbsey Twins
Nancy Drew mystery series (I read every one of them - at least all the ones that had been written during my childhood)
Some of the Hardy Boy mysteries
Lassie Come Home
Lad: A Dog
The Black Stallion
Maida's Little Shop (about a crippled little girl that actually owned and ran her own store)
Lots of books about animals
I also had the "Childcraft" series of educational volumes and literally wore the fairy tale stories/rhymes one out.

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Robert Louis Stevenson's  A Child's Garden of Verses, I still love that one.  I read them to my girls too.
All the Beatrix Potter books, I had quite a collection.
Gulliver's Travels

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Ooh.....the Hardy Boy Mysteries!  I remember reading some of them! bear_thumb My oldest son has several of them, which my mother bought for him, but he just didn't like them.  I guess some of the wording is too old fashioned for him! bear_rolleyes

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Did anyone ever read Ramona Quimby? Gosh, I just loved those books!

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Sarah....you do realise that I now have the munch bunch theme song running through my head on endless repeat!  bear_angry  bear_shocked  bear_tongue

This is not a good topic to get me started on.....I love kids books so much I'm going to be doing a post-grad qualification in kid lit. ...and yes, I am a librarian  :redface:  :redface:  (too geeky for words!) but I work in a government library and most of my day is spent on the internet.  Hardly ever touch a book  bear_whistle   I still collect and read new kidlit and YA fiction as well as the older stuff.

My absolute favourite childhood picture book "Morris has a cold" by Bernard Wiseman. 

favourite modern picture book "that pesky rat" by Lauren Child....pure brilliance, love all her books and even have signed copies thanks to my big sis in London.

Those that are still on repeat reading every few years...
Sara Crewe/A little Princess
Eight Cousins
Anne of Green Gables
Harriet the Spy
Winnie the Pooh (the REAL stuff not that disney rubbish)
The Secret Garden
and anything Roald Dahl
anything Shannon Hale (current author - brilliant writer)
or Eve Ibbotsen

Discovered Bridge to Terabithia as an adult - looking forward to the movie.  (filmed here in NZ) and did you know they're making a movie of Where the Wild things Are

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I used to live about 10 yards from the library when I was a child and was always going in there.My favourite books were always Enid Blyton but I read many others.I remember Ramona Quimby Heather-I liked those books too.I was only about 10 and I used to help out in the library stamping books etc.I still like to read books today but mainly non fiction as I always like to learn new things.
Laurie :hug:

karenaus Melbourne
Website

I loved Snugglepot and Cuddlepie too Sarah! bear_original  and Blinky Bill and the Magic Pudding- my Dad introduced me to all those.
   When I was older I loved the Narnia books.... and the Trixie Belden books hehe.. I had a book about a family who lived in a tree house too I read that over and over but I can't remember the name of it? Funny I loved- still love- reading but I can't remember lots of specific books I read.
    Enid Blyton was a favourite too.

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

I loved to read when I was a kid.  Growing up in Alaska and much more of a Prissy Paulette that a Sally Sportstar, I was either reading or coloring or designing clothes for my Barbie.

My favorite books include The Best Loved Doll, the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series, Amelia Bedelia, The Little Prince and Charolotte's Web.  As a teen my interest turned to Harlequin Romance novels!
bear_wub  bear_wub   

I rarely pick up a book anymore unless it has to do with artistic endeavors or design.  It's my "Sponge Period".  I'm soaking up and learning as much as my brain can hold.
bear_flower 

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

karenaus Melbourne
Website
K Pawz wrote:

The Runaway Flying Horse, i have no idea who it was by...and the black stallion series by Walter Farley...

Hugs,
Krista

oh yes! the Black Stallion books I loved those! bear_original

p.s Krista I love your new little doggies! bear_grin

Board footer