Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

One of my favorite books was "Uncle Wiggely's Adventures"  has anyone ever heard of that?????
I also was never found without anything Beatrix Potter, Richard Scary or the Serendipity books.......I just LOVED the illustrations in those books!

AndreaM bear_original

Mutz Mutz's Tootsz Bears & Buds
New Berlin, Wisconsin

Hi All,
I loved the Elosie series. I loved the stories of the sketches in it & the adventures of life in the Plaza with Nanny & Weenie.

Also as I got older. Little Women (of course I am an Amy)
& Black Beauty.
TTFN,
Amy

lemmonbears Lemmon Bears
Oregon Coast

I loved going to the library.
We were in the book club that sent Dr. Suess books every month for awhile.
Dad can still recite Green Eggs and Ham!
I also loved Harriet the Spy and Nancy Drew.
Then The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.

Joan

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I think my all time favourite children's book was Peter Pan, followed by Alice in Wonderland, The Secret Garden and The Velveteen Rabbit and all the Beatrix Potter books.  Peter Pan is still my favourite book and I have 10 copies with pictures by different illustrators.  I also have numerous copies of Alice in Wonderland, bu different illustrators.  It's fun to open them all and see how each illustrator has interpretated the scenes.
     I also loved the Bobsey Twins and the Rupert Annuals.

hugs,

Brenda

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

liEveryone has mentioned my favourites - Enid Blytons faraway trees and some of the others, Charlottes web, Little House on the Prairie, and Peanuts comic books.  :dance:

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I loved Rupert Bear too Brenda!  I used to receive an annual every Christmas and thought it was wonderful.  Needless to say, I liked the rhyming story better than the story story!

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

Definitely any Trixie Belden (I think someone else mentioned her too!)or Nancy Drew, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, To Kill A Mockingbird and (lest someone thinks I'm totally too serious) ARCHIE comics!!!

Cheryl bear_flower

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

MGinside.jpgMGbook.jpgHere is my favorite. I love this book today. Its falling apart though.  bear_sad I remember looking at it as a kid, the illustrations are so rich. I even had one of the drawings enlarged to 24x36 and put in a frame over my daughters bed. Brings back so many memories.

Some others...
Frog and Toad - all of them
A Birthday for Francis
Billy and Blaze - all of them (I was fascinated with the pencil drawings)

Dilu Posts: 8,574

The Princess and the Goblins

by George MacDonald,  first grade, first book I ever stayed up all night reading until it was finished, with a flashlight under  the covers.  In the morning mom said I looked awful and sent me back to bed-  She didn't catch on until 3rd grade. LOL :crackup:

All the books by

Josephine Sanger Lau[

All the books by

Louisa May Alcott

And starting at age three, all the

cereal boxes

that had free mail in things:

The deal was if I could read it I could have it-so at age three I taught myself to read.  Most annoyingly, but nevertheless...I would take the creal box around to various family members...."What's that word?"

but only one word....then when I had the first, second, third word memorized I would move on to the next.  By the time the box was empty I had all the words memorized and could "read" it to mom and she would send for the free insides....

So I owe an incredable life of reading to cereal boxes.....Thank you

Post, Kelloggs, Wheatena

And of course I now owe my sanity to the good folks in

Camp Hill Pennsylvania

-we have had a 35 year long love affair with:

free books-meet your quota-quit-free books-meet your quota-quit......I routinely cycle through about 5 of the clubs and the hubs has 2....he learned from me.  They must love us-

BUT WE DON'T REALLY HAVE A PUBLIC LIBRARY-DUE TO POOR MANAMGEMENT IN JOSEPHINE COUNTY

Does anyone in Camp Hill not work for the book clubs????

Kimmy this is for you:

If Sir, you sir, Choose to chew sir,
With the gogoose
chew sir, do sir

phonetically, as I haven't a copy in the house-drives the hubs crazy when I start reciting Dr. S....

but he didn't have to read them 500 million gazillion times!

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

you too dilu???
i can recite all of the cat in the hat from memory
plus a few others..lol bear_grin

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website
AndreaM wrote:

One of my favorite books was "Uncle Wiggely's Adventures"  has anyone ever heard of that?????

OMG!!! I HAVE an antique record (78 speed?) and storybook of Uncle Wiggley. I HAVE to get it out of the box and take a photo for you.

What can I say

Sam I am

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

no, i am sam bear_grin

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

This has been so much fun too read...so nostalgic  bear_innocent

Karen
Trixie Belden..yes...still have the whole series hehe  Nancy Drew was too girly for me back then, who would believe that now lol

Paula
Rupert the bear, I remember him , we used to get the Rupert the bear Annuals

Brenda I loved the secret garden...awakened the love of gardening in me, every child should read this book  :love:

Melissa, I don't remember the Munch Bunch ever being on TV!  I have to look it up!  I love those books...hey, can you sing the tune to me  bear_tongue
You're a librarian!  So cool...i used to pretend to be a librarian, bring down all my books lol.  cute.

I love Winnie the Pooh too, but only realised how much in my 20's lol.  so funny!!   :crackup:

Bridge to Terabithia...is there a movie?  I read that at around 13...cried and cried....loved it tho.

beary_clairey Luton

My all time favourite book as a child that I read over and over again was:

The Lion, The witch and The wardrobe.

I also loved all the classic fairy stories especially Snow White & Rose Red where they make friends with the bear!!

Teenage Years:

Sweet Valley High
Sweet Dreams
All the Mills and Boon range.

I remember all my friends and I sitting in the playground reading the problems page in Just 17 magazine!!!

Those were the days!!!

Claire

staticbear76 Posts: 222

i read dinotopia series eragon i robot charlottes web the lil joey winnie the pooh series some picture records by disney the song of the south and robin hood lost back then when we moved got them again years ago i still listen to them when i got older i read treasure island the last starfighter the jungle book the counter earth chronicles of gor the lord of the rings trilogy and the hobbit so many books i read oh and the sackette saga by louise l'amour.

NIKKEL Nikkel Bears
Orient Point, NSW

My all time favourite book is Black Beauty - I too read that book over and over.

Most Enid Blyton and Beatrix Potter are also fave's.

Tracy & Sarah - The Bridge to Terabithia is now a movie and has been or is just about to be officially released on DVD (I bought a $2 copy in Thailand - just brilliant ... you'll love it).

Marg  bear_original

Densteds Densteds
Website

Marg...

Black Beauty is still my all time favourite book !!! in fact a couple of months ago I was going through my daughters old books and found it...so I sat down, reread it and cried all over again!

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

My love for books started very young and both my girls have such a large amount of books we could open the house up as a childrens library  bear_grin

My favs were:

The Faraway Tree
Benji
Greyfriars Bobby
any Enid Blyton
Beatrix Potter
Witch Mountain

I still love reading kids books - I recently finished reading a series of books called Charlie Bone which I would highly recommend to anyone who has a child of about 7/8 its like Harry Potter for younger kids (me included  bear_grin )

Ali x

ruth Flutter-By Bears
Staffordshire
Website

Gosh - I really liked GreyFriars Bobby too Ali ! (and cried !) But when I was really small
I loved the Brer Rabbit books ; especially the illustrations . Also 2 wonderful , old books no one ever seems to have heard
of ; "Preep" the baby pigeon , and "Gobbelino the Witches Cat" ???
I can remember being about 3 and flicking through the pages of Winnie the Pooh desperate to be able to read the story !!  bear_smile

We all have such happy memories  bear_happy  I'm eternally glad that my youngest son is an avid "reader" too (hopefully for life  bear_thumb )

Mini Hugs , Ruth

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Oh  'The tale of Mrs Tiggy-winkle'...my absolute favourite! Also 'The Family from One End Street' about the Ruggles family in the 1930s...absolutely delightful.
I used to love Malory Towers and all those 'Jolly Hockey Sticks'  type books about boarding school, midnight feasts and stuff. I liked the Swallows and Amazons too.
Brer Rabbit...Wind in the Willows..the Hobbit....Little Grey Rabbit...

Oh I wish I hadn't grown up !!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I looooove childrens literature and I adore illustration even more.  I have a substantial collection of children's books and own MANY copies of the same book by different illustrators.  My absolute most favouritest book in the whole world is Peter Pan as I never want to grow up LOL!  I have 11 copies of it with different illustrations.  I adore Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens with illustrations by Arthur Rackham.  Then comes the Velveteen Rabbit, Alice in Wonderland and The Secret Garden, with many copies of each one.  Beatrix Potter books are next - I really admire her both for her artwork and as a person.
     I did read all the Bobsey Twin books as a child and the Nancy Drew as well.  I really enjoyed discovering Dennis Lee and his Alligator Pie and Garbage Delight, when my kids were small.  Now it's fun to see our grandson discovering the wonder of books.  I will always be a book-aholic!

hugs,

Brenda

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

I don't remember having any books untill I got a bedtime story book (about 8) I have no idea who wrote it.  I just remember it had a little boy on the cover it may have been wee willie winkie as that was how he was dressed carrying a candle. I loved the book, used to treasure it until it got stolen. I had a friend who used to get loads of books and I was able to read them Enid Blytons Famous Five and the Far Away Tree. Not until I had my own children did I get to read Beatrix Potter, Wind in the Willows, Paddington Bear.

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

i spent every nickle i earned on books when i was a child and still do! nancy drew..trixie belden.the hardy boys..wasnt there another boy series? every horse book or silly witch stories i could get my hands on..i worked in the library when i was in high school...and when my sister came along..Dr seuss it was! i adore witches wizrds and dragons..anne macaffrey!! and i would read the back of the cereal box at breakfast if there wasnt anything else,, also like an assortment of book as ive gotten older,,and who wouldnt love james herriot?  deb

Board footer