Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

For those of you who do bear shows, how do you display your bears?
I sometimes use antique Pepsi and apple crates with old suitcases and other bits of old. At one of my last shows I displayed them having a picnic and roasting marshmallows over a fire (made of tissue and sticks from my yard) That one won me "best table display'!    I feel like I need fresh ideas though......what do you do?

AndreaM bear_original

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Ooooh, great topic, Andrea!

I've just signed up for my first show . . . TBOV in Toronto, November 18th.

I'm already hyperventilating at the thought of coming up with  a display, not to mention the necessary number of bears!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Eileen,
     I haven't seen you post much lately, but it's nice to see you will be doing Sue and Mark's show.  It's a good show - well attended.  I might even see  you there, even though it's a long way off.

hugs,

Brenda

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

Hey Eileen, I was thinking of trying to get into their August show and possibly the November one as well.  I guess I'd better get off my 'duff' and get in those applications.
The trouble is, I'm not much of a driver especially in the winter.  Maybe I'll look into the hotels in the area and come down the day before.
Hugs,
AndreaM bear_original

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Andrea and Eileen- I am also in TBOV in November and have been in that show since it's inception. Looking forward to meeting you and seeing Brenda again
Hugs
Gail

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Andrea , what about a nursery playroom type of display? Rocking horse, wooden blocks, that sort of thing??
Blackboard with all beary sorts of things to learn???? :dance:

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

Hey Wendy, that's a great idea!  Teddy bear school, they could learn how to sneak into the cupboard for a snack in the middle of the night without getting caught. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Hey Gail: do you ever do the summer TBOV show?

AndreaM bear_original

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Hey, Brenda! I have been off for a while, tutoring too many students and learning to say 'no' to new ones.

Apparently the display can stand up to 3 feet high. Is that right?

Anyone coming to the Toronto TBOV in November is more than welcome to stay at my house. I no longer have a car, so I was planning to take a taxi to the show.

I just filled out the application online, provided my website so the organizers could approve my work, and I was IN!!

I'm so thrilled that there will be some TTers there . . . I was about to add the 'dance' icon, but it's disappeared.

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

Hey Eileen do you have registration with the Upholstered and stuffed articles act?

I'm wanting to apply but I don't have this yet.

AndreaM bear_original

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Andrea
Yes I have done the Summer show in the past but find that because TBOV shows are expensive I cut myself down to one show per year mostly to be able to keep in touch with the other bear artists
We also have a cottage so spend the Summers at it. Remember that for the Nov show the theme is Xmas
Hugs
Gail
www.bearwithme.ca

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Andrea.... when I was trying to think of how to display last October -- I took a look thru the Shows section and looked at all the displays there.  It got my mind going with ideas!

I like the staggered levels look... so I used crates.  Hubby built them for me.  Here's what it looked like :

Lauras-table.jpg

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Nice display, Laura!  bear_grin

I faced my first real display challenge when I flew to a show and shipped my bears ahead of time. I have a large wooden shelving unit my Dad and I built for my local shows but there was no way I could cart that off with me. Even wooden crates which I also use were too big. I've seen many people use paper mache boxes that will nest or old suitcases which do the same. Still too big for me. So I found these folding canvas boxes at Wal*Mart that open to a 12 inch cube. They come in all colors. I used natural ones so my bears would stand out. They fold flat, I used 9 I think, and put them in my suitcase with my clothes. SO EASY! Some pieces of fabric and a few promotional materials along with my bears gave the display pizzaz.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Can you show us pix of the boxes, Daphne?

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

We are going to be at all of the TBOV shows this yr , the one in Niagara Falls, August  and the November Christmas show.  We have not registered for the Upholstered and stuffed articles act either, we have been doing shows for about 3 or 4 yrs now and have never had a problem ( most that I see at the shows don't have them) our swing tag also gives all of the information on what's in the bear.  I know we should register for it but to me it's a tax grab yet again and I would hate putting that stupid tag on my bear.   

As for the cost of the show Gail, I think if you look around you will see that TBOV is likely one of the cheapest teddy bear shows to do.  We are paying over $300.00 US to do a one day show in the US.  I still put it down to advertising cost, you have to be at the shows in order for your product to be seen.  It's not cheap putting on a Teddy bear show and with the hall rental and the cost of advertising the money just goes through your hands like water.  I know because we helped organize the one show in our area and I was amazed at how much it cost to put it on.  Most times the show promotor is not making any money from your table registration they make their money on the admissions.  What they charge for table fee's goes towards the cost of operating the show. 

As for Table displays, Steve and I play around with that all the time.  We always try and do something different, when it's a show close to us we can usually go all out with table decorations.  When we travel that's a different story, I agree with Laura Lynn that I like the staggered look and different levels.  We usually put cardboard boxes on the table all in different heights, we can travel with them as the knock down easily or usually we can find them at the hotel we are staying at and there is no cost.  We then cover them with fabric, but suitcases work well and depending on the style of your bear they help show them off.  The crates are wonderful too and help showcase the bears.  We tend to not load our table up with tons of bears, usually 15 to 17 bears max.  If the table becomes to crowded then people can't see the bears for the bears  bear_grin .  When I walk around a show room I don't necessarily stop at every table, and I think some collectors are like that as well  they tend to scan the table as they go by and if something catches their eye they will stop.  That said if the table is to full then no one bear really stands out and people walk on by, so if you are able to give enough room for each bear then they can be seen clearly and you have a better chance of a collector seeing "the one bear they must have"  and stopping to check it out.

Sorry for the long post I just had a lot of idea's to put out there.

big hugs 

Shane

Waterloo, Ontario

Oh and the boxes that Daphne is talking about are the coolest thing, we saw them in Schaumburg and we were all over her asking her where she got them  bear_grin .  They are amazing and so easy to transport.

hugs

Shane

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

Thnaks for the ideas guys! Laura I love those white crates!
Daphne, I would love to see a pic of the folding canvas boxes if you have one.
Shane, thanks for the tips........it's been a while since I've done a bear show, I will be doing the TBOV shows in Toronto in August and November as well!  I just found out yesterday, I guess I'd better get sewing!  I would have LOVED to do the Niagra show but it's the weekend before my shcools dance recital and I can't spare the time bear_cry   I would love to hear all about it though!
Thnak you everyone who's posted ideas here.......it really means a lot bear_flower

Hugs,
AndreaM bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Pictures coming.....

Waterloo, Ontario

Andrea you will have to track me down at the August show,  I'm not sure what shape we will be in for that show  bear_grin .  We are doing the DC doll and Teddy Expo August 10 - 12, the following week we are in Binghampton NY for the Teddy Bear Artist Invitational from the 16-18 and then at TBOV the following weekend.  Man are we nuts or what, good thing I enjoy flying  because we are doing a ton of it this yr.

big hugs

Shane

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

Wow! Shane that sound exciting!.......ab bit crazy but exciting none the less bear_grin
I will definately track you down at the show, I look forward to it!

Hugs,
AndreaM bear_original

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Shane and Steve!
You're making me look like a loafer  bear_grin Cindy's been asking me all year about doing TBAI and I keep telling her I can't do a show the size of Washington EXPO and also do TBAI. I wish I could handle both! TBAI is so much fun!
Karen
P.S. I also love the cardboard box idea. At the end of a show I just leave the boxes and can usually pack everything up into one rolling luggage bag. I'm out in 10 minutes :dance:

tinybear-dk TinyBear
Denmark

messe3_1.JPGI´m using hat-boxes in different sizes.
I put them on top of each other on my table.
They are great for my small ones.

samanthapotter Mary Myrtle Miniatures
Cheltenham, UK
Website
thebearguys wrote:

the following week we are in Binghampton NY for the Teddy Bear Artist Invitational from the 16-18

Cool!  I have just signed up to do the TBAI.  I am so excited.  I've never been to America before as I am terrified of flying, but we are going over for three weeks to include the Expo, the Golden Teddy Awards ceremony, and the TBAI.  I won't be having a stall at the Expo,  but I will at the TBAI, so I am currently thinking a lot about how to display my bears nicely without actually bringing any display things with me.  I am very lucky that my bears are miniature, so they will all fit into a small box!  How is your gallery piece going??  I really must make a start on mine!!!

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

i still struggle with the displays..i was having more interest in the displays,,people offeringto buy some of them..so i decided that i needed to put more focus on the bears! ( or start selling displays!)  being eye level on the table definately helped..i just bought some cool wire shelves that go in school lockers at staples..they fold flat..not as flat as boxes..but they are sturdy and cheap! thy juts had a sale and we bought the whole locker kits for 50 cents! i do love to play with the "themes" but uts hard to balance with travel weight etc  deb

Waterloo, Ontario
samanthapotter wrote:
thebearguys wrote:

the following week we are in Binghampton NY for the Teddy Bear Artist Invitational from the 16-18

Cool!  I have just signed up to do the TBAI.  I am so excited.  I've never been to America before as I am terrified of flying, but we are going over for three weeks to include the Expo, the Golden Teddy Awards ceremony, and the TBAI.  I won't be having a stall at the Expo,  but I will at the TBAI, so I am currently thinking a lot about how to display my bears nicely without actually bringing any display things with me.  I am very lucky that my bears are miniature, so they will all fit into a small box!  How is your gallery piece going??  I really must make a start on mine!!!

Well I can't wait to see your little guys in person, they are so gorgeous and I know you will have a wonderful time there.  I will certainly have to look for you, and make sure you stop by our booth at Expo would love to see you.

What makes it so easy is using the card board boxes for display especially when you are coming from the uk you don't want to be bringing a lot of display stuff.  What's nice is there are a lot of nice little shops in binghamton that are within walking distance of the hotel. Also check at the front desk when you check in ,  we will bring lots of extras with us just in case as we will be driving there so that's not a problem.  We just make sure that our table top fabric is big enough that we can cover the boxes. 

As for my gallery piece  hmmmmm no we haven't started on it yet but we will start on that soon.

Don't worry about flying,  I've flown to the UK so many times it's a breeze.  Of course I love flying so that helps the time does go by quickly, just remember to get up and walk about a few times to stretch your legs and get the blood flowing  bear_grin

So looking forward to meeting you and your bears.

Big hugs

Shane

Waterloo, Ontario
KJ Lyons wrote:

Shane and Steve!
You're making me look like a loafer  bear_grin Cindy's been asking me all year about doing TBAI and I keep telling her I can't do a show the size of Washington EXPO and also do TBAI. I wish I could handle both! TBAI is so much fun!
Karen
P.S. I also love the cardboard box idea. At the end of a show I just leave the boxes and can usually pack everything up into one rolling luggage bag. I'm out in 10 minutes :dance:

OH come now Karen you could do both if you really wanted to    :crackup:  :crackup:   I know we are thinking the same thing but I think we may manage it  (easily said I know)

I agree with the cardboard boxes, we just knock them down and we are out the door .

big hugs

Shane

Board footer