Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

I was recently thinking of attending bear shows again with my bears, up untill now have done mostly art show with them.  I was looking at the registration form for TBOV and noticed that they require you to have registration regarding the 'upholstered and stuffed articles act' and that you are required to have labels identifying the stuffing used in the construction of your bear.  What do you know about this?  Why have I never heard of this before?????  I've done several bear shows in the past and this has never come up, I've even looked at the bears I own and only 2 both by the same artist have these tags.
There is a phone # provided on the registration form for TBOV for info and to register, I was just wanting to be a bit more informed before I call, I hate sounding like a complete dope when dealing with the government.

Your help and information is greatly appreciated!

AndreaM bear_original

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Andrea,
     Yep, it's true!  When selling stuffed toys within Canada, (it may even be just Ontario - I can't remember) you need to have a label, with the contents clearly marked.  It doesn't matter if they are collectibles.  I think it's the Stuffed Article Act or something ridiculous like that. You even have to buy specific labels.  When I registered years ago, they sent me a list of places where you could buy the labels.   My bears are so small, the labels were as big as the bear.  They have to be firmly attached to the bear.

Also make sure you get a vendors license, if you don't already  have one - it's free and you can just get one called a "special events" license that covers you for the length of the show, if you want.   You just have to send in the sales tax you collect at the show.  Make sure you have everything, because you will probably get checked at the show - government people are notorious for attending these sort of shows.  I did craft shows for years, and there was always somebody getting in trouble for not having the proper papers.  Frankly, all these silly rules are the reasons I don't promote my stuff in Canada - too many frigging regulations.  All of my sales are outside Canada!  LOL!

hugs,

Brenda

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I'd like to hear more feedback, I'm in Alberta and I haven't heard of these strict rules being inforced, but it would be good to know for my own show!

Darn red tape everywhere..........

K Pawz Guest

Yes PLEASE information when you find it Andrea!!! I am hoping to do a show this year and would hate to do all the prep just to find out that there were things I was missing!!!

Hugs,
Krista

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario
AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

Hey Brenda, I find it very interesting that this hasn't come up for me before.........I have done bear shows not many mostly art shows and I wonder if that's the reason as I was selling them as an item for adults and "not a toy"???????

I will look into this and get back to everyone.

Brenda are there any other requirements or thinks I need to abide by when getting the registration??????
What kind of stuffing do you use?

Thanks again,

AndreaM bear_original

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

Thanks for the link Marion.  I just printed it out and I'm going to sit down and read it right now!

Hugs,
AndreaM bear_original

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

The only province that I think that this is a big issue in is Ontario. I have done shows in Alberta, BC and 3 or 4 in Ontario and the only province that had any kind of inforcement of any kind is ON. I always got one day sales permits for Ontario and almost before I could get back home to AB, I would get a 'demand' letter (with threats to seize my property! bear_shocked ) for sales tax remittance. I have never seen officers walking around a show except in Ontario and Florida.

Cheryl bear_flower

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

If you are doing fairs or shows as a hobby and it is not a business one would hope there is a difference.  I can see if you are a bear selling business that you must do taxes and the whole shmear...you should be doing that each year anyway........ but come on.... selling a few bears?  Who would even be charging the taxes?   good old Canada once again...no wonder people try to work around all the obscure laws and bylaws.. what a crock.........

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

The Government doesn't care if it is a hobby or registered business the stuffing license is still required if you are selling stuffed articles to the public and they also want the 8% sales tax. You may also not advertise that  the price of the bear includes the tax. What I do is list the price of the bear and then the tax underneath and then the total on the tag that is attached to the bear. You do not have to collect the GST unless you earn more that $30,000.00 per year selling your bears ( I wish )  I also do not attach the label to the bear but staple it to the card on the bear and will continue to do this until I am told otherwise by the powers that be!!!. The cost is $20.00 per year and is renewable yearly if you produce fewer than 100 articles per year . Getting the vendors permit will allow you to purchase all supplies you need for the business of making your bears at wholesale prices thus because you haven't paid the PST on the raw materials they then want it when the product is sold
Hugs
Gail

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

Ok so I just spen the last .........I don't know how lon getting info
The web site to look at is www.tssa.org
You can download the registration form or fill it out on line and send it.  As Gail mentioned it is $20.00 for the year if you make no more than 999 peices annulally.
The only Provinces requireing all of this hassle are Ontario, Qubec and Manitoba.  You are also subject to surprise inspections!

Gail and Brenda:  Where do you buy your tags from?  What is the cost?

AndreaM bear_original

Website

Hi Andrea
Where do you live and how many tags would you want. I have several so may be able to part with some depending on how many you want. I think when you order them it is a huge quantity that you have to get. Mine were ordered from Laven Industries (905 )477-4410.  I got them a long time ago so you may want to check 411 for the phone nuimber to see if it is still the same. They are located in Toronto
Hugs
Gail

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Phew, I'm soo glad to be in Alberta. :dance:

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

Thanks Gail, that's very kind of you.  I have a phone call in to the tssa and I'm just waiting for a return call re:if Ineed to use a specific kind of stuffing. 
I wouldn't need many, at the most I thing I make only 20 bears in a whole year!
If I don't hear back from the gentleman, I think I'm just going to register for the two toronto TBOV show anyways and hope I can still get in.  I'd really like to do the August one 'cause that means I don't have to drive in bad weather, but the November one sounds like such a blast that I'd like to do it too, and that way I can meet you and others.  Maybe I can just take the bus down in Nov. on the Saturday and stay at a hotel close to the venue.  I'd rather pay money than stress about travelling in the snow!

Hugs,
AndreaM :)

Heather:  believe me all of this hassle is making me think it might just be worth moving to another province bear_tongue

Andrea,
    You've just been lucky - maybe because they were art shows, they never checked to see if someone was making stuffed bears.  It makes NO difference, if it is art, if it's a collectible or if it's a toy - they all need their labels with content and where they were made.  I would ask whether the tags still have to be attached directly to the bear.

Gail, 
     I'm surprised that you haven't been told to attach them directly to the bear.  That used to be the rules and the enforced them, but I haven't done a show in Ontario in ten years.  Maybe the rules have changed. 

Cheryl, yep, the good old Ontario gov't doesn't want to miss getting their sales tax! LOL!

hugs,

Brenda

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

Hey Brenda,
I downloaded all of the info I could find this afternoon and it did say the tag has to be securely fastened to your article.

What kind of stuffing do you use?  Where do you get it?  I have a feeling I've asked this already  bear_wacko

AndreaM bear_original

Website

Hi Andrea
You do not need a particular kind of stuffing- you only have to list on the tag what is inside the bear ie 100% polyester, glass beads, steel beads etc
Brenda I know it is supposed to be attached to the bear but I do not like the look of it so if an Inspector sees it and says something to me then I will attach to the bear. In all the years I have done shows I have not seen an Inspector once!!! TOUCH WOOD!!!!
Andrea- if you pm me your address I will put some tags in the mail for you
Hugs
Gail
TBOV will provide you with the name of the hotels close to the venue

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I have done shows in Alberta, BC and 3 or 4 in Ontario

I remember The Tax Man appearing as far back as 99 & 00, in both BC (Cathy & Ruth shows) and in ON.

Here in the States it depends on the State: some visit every show & some never appear, you just receive the paperwork in your vendor packet. Some came near the end of the day and you paid the city, county & state taxes before you got out the door!
Try figuring all of those different percentages out when you're dead on your feet and croaking like a frog from a few days of talking non-stop...

Andrea,
     I have been using excelsior (wood shavings) for the last few years, even in my small ones.  I like the feel it gives my antique style teds.  Gail is right, it doesn't matter what is inside, as long as it's labelled appropriately.

hugs,

Brenda

pearlsbears Pearl's Bears
Simcoe County

Hi Andrea!  I was worried about the stuffed article thingy too as this year I will be doing my first shows including the TBOV in November.  I called Mark from TBOV and he didn't say what to do either way but he did say there hasn't been an inspector at any of the shows he's done, ever.   Hugs, Pearl

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

Thanks Pearl!  I expect it's pretty rare, but............  I'd hate to get fined.  I think I'll just send off the application for registration and that way I don't have to worry about looking over my shoulder!
Hopefully I'll see you there!
Hugs, 
AndreaM bear_original

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

Anybody know where I can apply for the job of Teddy Bear Fair inspector??  I WANT that job!

I did the Ruth's show in Toronto 7 or eight years ago, Hug-in I think it was called.  It used to be at Edwards Gardens before Mark started doing shows.  Anyway, there was an inspector at that show. 

Andrea, I've never known them to fine anyone - you just plead dumb lol.  They just tell you to get it together for the next show, or there could be problems.

hugs,

Brenda

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

Hey Brenda, Yes you are right it is the Hug-In, and thta's the only bear show I've ever done.  I've never seen anyone around from the Gov.  I guess I got lucky!

AndreaM bear_original

ellen ontario, canada

albeit a bother - let's not forget - these standards/regulations are in place to ensure OUR safety.  the sales tax is another issue.... another pain in the keester!!  LOL
bear_flower

Board footer