Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Jane D. Teddies to Treasure
Midland, Ontario

Hello everyone-I've just returned from 5 weeks in Daytona Beach to 4 feet of snow and temperatures of -25C this morning.I'm trying to catch up with all the TT news.I've done Hug-Ins and TBOV for about 5 years now and have labelled my bears correctly and followed tssa standards.No one has ever approached me at a show but believe it or not an inspector came to my door and asked to see a bear that I would be taking to the next show.She also asked me if I knew anyone else who made bears that lived nearby.I was floored! So I behave myself at all times.Andrea I do the Xmas show and hubby drives me.We leave about 7:00am and have a nice dinner afterward.We could drive all the way to Warminster from Midland and pick you up.It would take us about 25 whole extra minutes. bear_grin Be happy to do it if you decide to go.

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

HEY JANE! Glad to see you back!!!!!!!!!!  I was beginning to worry bear_sad
Wow 5 weeks in Daytona, I imagine what you must have thought when you arrived home....BLEK!  I'm sure it was a nice getaway though.
I have gone ahead and looked into the tssa and I'll be sending off my registration this week, Gail was kind enough to send me some tags now all I need is my reg #.  Good news!  I will be doing the TBOV shows in both August and November, and it would be lovely to carpool do you think we could fit all of our stuff in the same vehicle? 
Let me know what you think?  We do still have to get together prehaps sometime in the summer when the driving is a bit nicer...........Maybe we can grab Jane from Colingwood to join us for an afternoon?!

Hope you got a great tan  bear_cool

Big hugs,
AndreaM bear_original

Jane D. Teddies to Treasure
Midland, Ontario

Looking forward to meeting you and I didn't realize that someone is aTT from Collingwood.Maybe if they see this they could pm me or you could.I have good friends in Collingwood.You will enjoy meeting Gail too.She is a great person and lots of help and encouragement.I will be doing June in Niagara Falls and November in Toronto.I went for a walk this morning and had to give up-too much slipping and sliding in my boots.They felt so heavy after 5 weeks in sandals on the beautiful beach!!!

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

OOOOOHHHHHHHH!  I'm jealous!  I really wanted to do the Niagra show but it's the weekend right before our dance recital, and I'll likely have the girls in rehearsal that day!  You'll have to let me know how it goes.
Hugs,
AndreaM bear_original

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Jane
I too was wondering where you were and am jealous of your 5 weeks in Daytona. You must have been there during biker week? I hope you have a really great show in Niagara and that the customers come with big fat wallets and plastic cards. I am doing the Nov show
I was really surprised to read about an inspector calling on you at home- I have never heard of that happening before
It is time you posted pictures of your beautiful bears on this site for all TT to see!!!!
Hugs
Gail

calabear Cala Bear Den
Winnipeg, MB

They have the same regulations here in Manitoba.... (sorry just came across this post).  I had tags made and i attach them to my bears, but they can easily be removed if the buyer wanted to take them off.  I was able to design the labels myself with the minimum of information, as long as your registration number is on there i think they are happy. 
I thought it might be to my advantage to have them attached if i am going to shows across the border.  Once I mistakenly mentioned when i was going to Kansas that i was selling bears.... well i was taken to the little room and they asked to see one of my bears, fortunately i also have a tag on it saying it is from winnipeg, manitoba.  After the inspector was wandering around with my bear for 20 minutes he just  suggested to have the label say winnipeg, canada on it.  When i returned from my trip i mentioned i was at a trade show and i had no problems.

My personal opinion is that it is just another way for the government to collect money from us little vendors.

hugs
carola

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Yes in OHIO in the USA I have to buy a bedding licence every year $50.00 every year. And my bears are small so I just put the number on them  and my name. But not all states have to have them . Just a way to get more money from us !!!  bear_innocent

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

Ohhh Carola, I would not have wanted to be taken into the 'little room' at the airport.  It sounds intimidating!  Wer you afraid they were going to rip one open?  That would be a nightmare.

Jodi: I'm surprised to hear about in the states.  Our fee is $20.00 here in Ontario.  I find it strange that it isn't consistant in either country.  You would think that if it was law in 2 or 3 states or rovinces that it would be law in all of them.......politics!

AndreaM bear_original

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

I have been reading this and thinking- not sure what the rule is for selling toys/collector toys/items in South Africa and I dread the thought of finding out and explaining this one. I do know and understand the tax (VAT/GST) implication of a business in South Africa.

However when travelling to International shows- when entering a new country- do you declare your goods you selling or not ????
Switzerland is very very strict!!!! anyone entering the country HAS to declare( although most artists try and avoid doing this if they can) my friends travelling into the country from neighbouring states, tell me it is a nightmare at the border posts entering in by car- the custom officails have no idea what forms have to be completed- that they know more about the forms- what happens is that you pay all the applicable tax on the bears you have with you, when you leave the country a summary is done and what is not sold etc- a refund is made. Travelling in by air- is a little easier and you can get away with just going thru the green chanel- and if stopped say you are EXHIBITING and not sellling. I have in all my years only had one visit from a custom official at a show- and here the organiser warned us to just say no sales were taking place only orders.

In Japan last year- I was stopped- my suitcase was opened and I was given an ENGLISH questionare to read and answer- again- I said bears were for exhibiting and orders would be taken.

USA- I have never visited as a bear artist- so cant say- but I have heard that they are strict.

I never travel with bears carrying a price on them- I mark the bears at the show, so that I can always say they are sample bears. This works for me.

Personally I do think that the show organisers should let you have and  advise you as to what the legalities are- so that you are fully aware before getting to the show especially if you are a visitor from out of state.
Although if goverment departments are the same around the world then I think the right foot does not know what the left foot is doing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What happens to other artists travelling to international shows

Lynette

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Yes , it is strange, I think there is only 3 out 4 states that you have to buy one. And Mine is one !! Lucky me. Every year $50.00 and not only that but for the first time you pay an extra fee to have the lab test your stuffing. And they really want the bear to pull apart !! But I called and wined !! So I only had to send stuffing. But you are susposed to send every kind you use , like plastic  pellets , poly fill etc and each has its own lab fee !! And for every article I sell in Ohio I owe them .45 cents !! But you know what ??  I hardly ever sell to OHIO. Maybe one time in 2 years !!!  But if I have bears for sale any where in ohio and they don't have the bedding number on them I can be fined like $ 10,ooo.oo !! Its scary !!! But I follow the rules. Just out of fear !!! bear_cry

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Hi there!  Thought I'd post the relevant OHIO information for all those who make & sell bears in OHIO.  Do note, this is for

Ohio only

.  PA and MA also have fairly strict guidelines/laws regarding the manufacture and sales of stuffed articles.  Also note that in Ohio, registration is NOT required if you make/sell fewer than 100 bears per year.  However, you do have to state that you are NOT registered, etc.... See the exceptions to ORC 3713.  The Ohio legislation covers all stuffed toys and dolls as well as bedding articles, cushions, pillows, quilts ... However, there are exceptions made for quilted wall hangings, and "Bunny Slippers" and other articles that are "stuffed" but NOT used for sleeping or as children's play items.  I think there could be an interesting argument that artist bears are more along the lines of wall art, or a stuffed item that is specifically NOT intended to be played with.  Interesting.....  bear_whistle  bear_whistle  bear_whistle  Though Jodi, you are right on in your attitude that it's probably better to be safe than sorry.   bear_thumb

Anyway here's the stuff for my fellow Ohioans  :

Ohio Forms:

http://www.com.state.oh.us/odoc/dic/dicform.asp#bed

Applicable Ohio Revised Code Sections:

http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.co … tm&cp=PORC
The above link will take you to the ORC, but you muct search "3713" in the upper left hand corner to pull up the correct sections. 

Kim Basta

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

I have been told by some Canadian artists who sell in the US that at the border if they are asked they say they have been invited to show their bears at a show in the US and that the bears are not for sale but that orders will be taken. Tags do need to be attached to the bears if they are crossing the border.
Hugs
Gail

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi there,
    We used to travel back and forth to shows in the U.S. all the time before 9/11.  My bears were so small and put inside stacking tins, so they all fit into an overnight bag.   My whole booth was in one tiny bag.   We never said we were going to a show, we were just on holiday and were never questioned.  But that was the good old days. 

If I were to do a U.S. show now, I would do it by the book.  There is a form to fill out and never, ever say you are "selling", only taking orders.  It helps to have a "sample" tag, applied to each bear.  I know artists that still go to the U.S. shows, but my heart isn't in it anymore.  And yes, Pennsylvania is one of those states that are real sticklers for the tags and numbers. 

hugs,

Brenda

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

You are both so right Brenda and Gail with your comments.  Since we always fly out of Buffalo to most of our shows in the US, we no longer take any bears with us we ship them directly to the hotel we are staying at.  In January when Steve was going to IDEX he had a few bears with him and we had shipped the rest.  When he got to the boarder he told customs he was going down for a vacation,  while talking customs asked a few more questions and then they decided to search the luggage (this is the first time this has ever happened to us in I don't know how many crossings at US boarders).  Steve told him that he was taking in a Teddy bear show in Florida but was not selling he was only showing as according to US customs Canadians are not allowed to sell at US trade shows they can only take orders.  Customs became quite snitty about this and said that was false information and wanted to know where we got that from,  Steve advised him to read their own website where it clearly states that. 

Well he let Steve through that time but then said from now on we could have to cross using the Tuck lanes if we brought any bears with us into the US, since we would be bringing in Commercial Goods we have to go throught hat whole procedure.  Not sure if any of you have seen a truck lane at a boarder crossing but they are HUGE, so we decided from now all everything having to do with a show gets shipped ahead of time and we will just take ourselves and no bears, no business receipt books or visa machine,  we ship it all.

Big hugs

Shane

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

I just wish, and here again it seems like its is the same worldwide, that custom guys do not know the rules applicable to all items( I suppose so many apply !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

In Korea- when checking onto the plane, we were taking on some hand luggage- the lady stood there, arms folded- no smile, stern look- looked at Ellaine and myself- shook her head- picked up the hand luggage weighed it-  -shook her haid- and pointed us in the opposite direction. We looked at her and said and now???? She ignored us.
I took out some things put them into my hand bag , took the two jerseys out, put them on to wear, we went back, same thing, she picked up the suitcases - now they were much lighter as the bears I took out had steel shot in- and I knew it was a lot less- again exact same thing-(less than what you are allowed on) she pointed us in the opposite direction- In the meantime- other people with THESE BIG knapsacks slung over their shoulders she was letting thru!!!!!!!!!!! eventually we went back to Caththay and the lady there gave us a sticker for the hand luggage and we were able to proceed thru.
They are told, white is white, black is black, and heaven help you if you have a shade paler- they just will not understand. So if you knapsack weighed a ton- that was fine, just dont push a overhead suitcase thru !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh what we do for these little fellows bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Lynette

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Shane,
     If I were going to a show in ANY country, I would ship ahead, I think.  It's too much hassle risking things at the border. 

Lynette,
      You have hit the nail on the head - you can phone customs 3 times in a row and get three answers in a row.  Their agents do not know the rules, and heaven help anyone, if they get one that's a "stickler".   My son lives in Japan and lived in South Korea for years.  He travels back and forth on a regular basis.  He travelled for years with his bags stuffed top the hilt, hair down to his waste, earrings and studs all over him and even after 9/11, he has never encountered a problem in any customs.  Go figure!  Now his hair is shaved, and his studs etc. have faded, and he still gets decent treatment.

hugs,

Brenda

Board footer