Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

I'm just coming into the world of ATC's, I've bought some supplies and I have 100 ideas. I was just wondering what kind of paper do you use for the 'foundation' of the card?  How sturdy should it be?  Do you seal it for protection once you are done?
I'd really like to start off on the right foot here, so if you have any tips or advice I would greatly appreciate it?

P.S.  Do you SELL you ATC 's of just TRADE?

Hugs,
AndreaM bear_original

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I use regular playing cards for the 'foundation'.  They are exactly the correct size and are somewhat stiff.  I print the info stuff (name, company, etc. - whatever info you want to give out) on a piece of cardstock and glue it to the back of the card, which makes it even sturdier.  For protection, I just put the card in a clear plastic bag - 3'' x 4'', I think.  Go for it . . . I see an addiction in your future!  bear_smile  bear_smile  bear_smile

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

You can use anything you like Andrea.  The only real criteria is that they be 2 1/2" X 3 1/2"    the size of playing cards.  But... can be fabric...art paper ...water colour paper...card stock..sky is the limit really...   

check out this fellow doll maker's site and surf around a bit..she does a lot of altered art and paper stuff as well as dolls... write to her if you want she is always more than happy to help out.

http://www.artdolls.info/cat_paper_altered_art.html

Also...just type in ATC and you will get hundreds of sites to see...as well as go to ebay and see them for sale or trade... (ATC's were originally supposed to be used as advertising by artists and only for trade..but that seems to have changed a bit)   also check out the ACEO's which stands for Art Card Editions and Originals... which are definitely for sale.

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

Playing cards........what a great idea!  I'll have to try that.
Sue Ann: I think it's already an addiction, I can't seem to stop buying supplies.  Niw I just have to do something with it all bear_grin

Verinica, thanks for clearing up the ACEO thing, I've been wondering about that for ages!  I will be sure to check out that link after dinner, thanks!

Hugs,
AndreaM bear_original

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Like Sue Ann I start with a playing card-then i pad it and cover it with fabric.  And take it from there.  Fabric and embelishments are my main medium-its what I understand.

Would love to see what you make!

hugs

dilu

Board footer