Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I'm currently putting together a new auction template and I'm changing a few things.  One of them being whether to accept forms of payment other than Paypal.  With todays world of con artists, thieves and just downright nasty folks out there, I want to be safe.  I can honestly say I have never run into any of them but one must always be sure to be aware of their surrounding which includes the internet and not be so bold or naive as to believe it could "never happen to me."

So...how many of you only accept Paypal and has it negatively affected your business in anyway?  I would also hate to shoot myself in the foot...OUCH!

Hugs,
Shantell

K Pawz Guest

I state Pay Pal only in my auctions, but if somebody emails me regarding other forms of payment I am negotiable...I had a lady just the other day say that she doesn't use pay pal now because of identity theft through Pay Pal, so I told her if she wins the auction I will accept an international money order from her, but won't ship out until the MO arrives and it clears through the bank....I haven't seen any ill effects of not having any other forms of payment.
Hugs,
Krista

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Ditto what Krista said! It hasn't hurt my auctions (few as they may be) and I've only accepted PayPal for quite some time now. In fact it's the only way I pay for auctions too! It's just easier for everyone. Of course, there are always the exceptions and you just have to take them case by case.

sewing stars sewing stars
providence, rhode island

i only use paypal for processing all online payments. it is easier for the customer, and easier for me too. i think once they made it so someone paying can pay via paypal or their own credit card (without a paypal account) it has made people less nervous, and people can even pay by check online! they have really expanded, and for the most part i am very happy using them, and had no problems.

Jodi Moisan Storytime Bears

I agree with everyone else, I love paypal, (which means tomorrow they will completely change it  bear_angry  bear_grin )  I have used it for a really long time and have had no problems at all with it and I no longer accept money orders or checks from new customers, one collector only pays by check and she has always paid quickly and with no problems so I am OK with that.  I may accept check or money order if the person has good feedback and has asked before bidding, but I make them send it with signature confirmation.  I am thinking about getting the paypal charge card, has anyone used that?

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Thanks...I have to admit that I only use Paypal when using Ebay myself.  In fact I tend to avoid auctions that don't accept Paypal because I find it inconvenient to have to go to the bank to get a cashiers check or a money order.  I live way out of town so it's not like just running a mile or two into town. 

I really like Paypal for it's convenience...I get my stuff a lot quicker and I can also sent out quicker as well...it's safer in general.  There will always a few glitches no matter what system is out there...nothing is fail safe afterall.

Thanks...I'm giving it a go.  I can always be flexible depending on feedback etc., as Krista & Jodi mentioned.  I've only had maybe one or two people ever pay me by anything other than Paypal and they both asked ahead of time if I minded.

Isn't it great we can come  here and bounce little questions like this off each other. 

Hugs & nighty night!!!

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Shantelle. I state only PayPal for international and then for domestic sales I offer direct debit and money order as well..
Wendy bear_thumb

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

My local best friend does NOT use Paypal..... so I'd at least offer postal money orders as a method of payment.  Most of the time you can cash them at the post office (if they have enough cash)  At the very least they can tell you if it is genuine.

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

I'm speaking from my experience as a buyer and it seems no one else has trouble with PayPal so I'm way in the minority.

I did register for PayPal for an auction that required it. I had no problem. I've only purchased a few times and so my PayPal account became dormant. But I kept getting this e-mails from PayPal saying to got to a site to update my information because someone had been detected trying to use my account. I never did, of course, but I sent each e-mail to PayPal and they responded that the e-mail didn't come from them. I still occasionally get those kinds of messages. So that makes me reluctant to use PayPal.

Also, I get e-mails from e-Bay, at least they say they are, telling me a buyer has not received my auction but I've collected money for it and they are going to sue me and turn me in to the FBI. I've never sold anything on e-Bay. I forward these to e-Bay and they tell me it didn't come from them. I only used e-Bay about four times and it concerns me that with just that little exposure, people have gotten my information.

But that's just me...probably paranoid. However, I do purchase many things through the internet and use a credit card and I've never had any problems with that.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

eBay and PayPal do make it possible for spammers to get your email address but little to nothing else. To be honest, I get those kinds of email at two email addresses I use that I've NEVER used on eBay or PayPal so some of these spammers just send mass emails to whoever, whereever. Just like other junk mail.

The important thing to do is NOT respond to any of these emails. If you question that status of your accounts with either place simply long on to your account through their official website (don't use any links in the emails you get) and check your account status that way. You can also check for any official correspondence from eBay while logged into your account.

I'd say a majority of people, no matter how often they've used eBay, get this sort of spam email from time to time. Just be an educated user. We've all talked about emails we've gotten similar to what you've shared, alerted each other and helped each other understand that the best thing to do in all cases is DELETE the email, log on to your account directly to verify it's in good standing, report the email to eBay or PayPal. Don't take it too seriously. It's likely just some looser trying to make a buck and take you for a ride.

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

I started stating that my auctions were paypal only when I kept getting fraudulent bids.  That has seemed to stop now - thankfully.  I will, however make an exception if someone I know wants to bid on my auction and doesn't have a Paypal account.   You have to do something on the ebay site to accept the bids though.

Marlys - those are scammers trying to get you to click on their link and give them information.  I received quite a few from them when I first started, and now don't get very many at all.  I NEVER click on a link in an email.  I always go to the web site and open up my messages.  Best to be safe.

JaneP.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Shantell.
     This is totally off topic, but I need Aleta's phone number - do you have it? 

hugs,

Brenda

sewing stars sewing stars
providence, rhode island
Marlys wrote:

I did register for PayPal for an auction that required it. I had no problem. I've only purchased a few times and so my PayPal account became dormant. But I kept getting this e-mails from PayPal saying to got to a site to update my information because someone had been detected trying to use my account. I never did, of course, but I sent each e-mail to PayPal and they responded that the e-mail didn't come from them. I still occasionally get those kinds of messages. So that makes me reluctant to use PayPal.

Also, I get e-mails from e-Bay, at least they say they are, telling me a buyer has not received my auction but I've collected money for it and they are going to sue me and turn me in to the FBI. I've never sold anything on e-Bay. I forward these to e-Bay and they tell me it didn't come from them. I only used e-Bay about four times and it concerns me that with just that little exposure, people have gotten my information.

that is spam/phishing. i get that all the time on all my e-mails, even the ones that i never associated with an ebay or paypal account. don't ever respond or click on any links listed, and forward to the e-mails to the appropriate addresses for ebay & paypal so they can try & shut down the spammer.

here is paypal's info on spam/phishing, and this is the e-mail to forward the spam message to: spoof@paypal.com.

for ebay there is a way to submit info, start here: http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/?s … ome:f:f:US

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

I appreciate your responses. I never do click on anything and do forward the e-mail to e-Bay or PayPal. It's a shame that people just can't be honest. It wouldn't occur to me to make a fradulent bid or in some other way rip someone off; I just worry about what information they can get.

eWax Bears eWax-Bears
Bayswater, London

I have Paypal only in my auctions and explain to the Buyer that it is for their protection as well as mine.  However, a couple of years ago on what is now my ewax account (I have 2 seller accounts), someone in France won my auction and 5 days later when I asked him to pay, he said he did not have a Paypal account and nor did he want one and that he would pay in Euros.

I pointed out to him my item description and clear instruction that I only accepted Paypal and gave a second chance offer to the next bidder down who accepted and paid with Paypal.  Well you can imagine how irrate the French man was - he left me negative feedback.  I was gutted but, at the end of the day,  Paypal is my protection and probably the only thing that gives me comfort in trading with so many rogues out there and now that Paypal have the online postage system there is no way a buyer can deny it was sent!  Stick to Paypal!

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I take paypal, money order or a personal check,  I hold the check until the check clears.  I sell patterns and fabrics as well as bears,  I have never had a problem with getting the money
Joanne

Board footer