Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I am sincerely interested in hearing what collectors look for when they choose a bear.
I know we are all different. .............

matilda

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

HI Matilda,

Ooh  this is a hard one. I  think it would have to come down to personal preference. I like the type of bears I make - and if I were to collect more, I guess they would look similar to mine!

Having said that, there are artists out there that look nothing like my bears, that I would love to one day own one by them (Like 3 o'clock bears, Bradley Bears, Jelly Belly Bears etc..)

I like the more charactery bears more though, than the sweet soft bears... Personal preference.  It all comes down to 1. the face and 2. the size.

Danni

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I think Danni hit the nail on the head... it's all personal preference... and the face HAS to grab me.. "speak" to me. 

As for size... that will often depend on a collectors space.  I live in a home on the smaller side... so my bear collection ranges in size from mini's to up to 15 inches.  (when Paula said her newest bear was a "small one at 15 inches I laughed... that's HUGE to me LOL!)

And then... I happen to perfer bears that have a bit of weight to them.  That's harder to determine when buying bears online... but it's also my least important issue too. 

As for jointing method... I like all of them... firmly jointed with bolts and locknuts all the way to wobble jointed.  It all depends on the look of the bear. 

Most of my bears are 'bear"  but I DO have some that are dressed too!

WA

Is there a certain quality, a complicated detailing or a certain innocents?

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

oh Danni ain't you the sweetest :P
I remember the bears you liked of mine at the beginnning when we first met before you were an artist...the funky ones remember...so you really know what you like! Character bears...I like that type too
I think if i were to collect I'd go with something I couldn't do...probably really tiny minis...so cute
hugs sarah

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

This one is tough to explain... I like bears on the smaller side - like Laura - I am running out of space, I have over 75 boyds and 5 artist bears.... I think the best way to explain it is a baby face bear LOL bear_grin if that makes sense

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

Hi Matilda
I assume that you are trying to figure this out so you can make bears to fit that market. I remember when I used wonder the same thing but I stopped trying to figure it out long ago. I've been a teddy bear artist for 17 years and as an artist you have to make the bear that you love...that's the only way that your bears will be the best that they can possibly be. Then if you market your bears effectively collectors who love your style of bears will find you.

Kathy

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

matilda wrote:

Is there a certain quality, a complicated detailing or a certain innocents?

It varies quite a bit!  I like sweet innocent bears but also the old fashioned looking bears too.   If you check eBay out you will see a very wide variety of "types" of bears get adopted.

One thing I forgot to mention is that for me personally... I like a bear that is stuffed pretty firmly.  In the past I have adopted bears on eBay that were not as firm as I'd like.  Although I still loved the bear for its looks... I no longer collected from those artists because I like a "firmer" bear.

One exception is an old fashioned type bear with a crunchy squishy feel made to "feel" like an old well loved bear.... but when it is done intentionally like that is is often stated as such in the listing.  Then I don't mind for these types of bears....

just my thoughts and personal preferences......

WA

Dear Kathy, no no no. I love my wee darlings fat too much to churn them out.:rolleyes:
As we all know , a bear comes when he's go and ready.  The way it should be.
They're our passionate artistic creations. :cool::cool:
When you don't create but only admire, what is it that draws you to a bear.????

At the moment I'm drawen to 'little Grrr'. I think he is adorable. Completely huggable.
I know I can't have this one, but bugga it I'm gunna get me one and soon!!!:lol::lol:

Well you would'nt believe it "Saturday night fever' has just come on the telly. gotta go !

Play nicely:lol:

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

Oh, okay, Matilda, as a collector, I am first attracted to a bear by his/her expression...especially the eyes. Many of the artists that I have seen here are real experts when it comes to creating bears with expressive eyes. I've been very impressed by what I've been seeing.

I rewatched Saturday Night Fever recently myself...What fun!!!

Kathy

teddy_bears_org USA - Florida

Personally, as an (somewhat - not bear artist) artist, I look at quality and uniqueness. I like to look at a Bear and say "Oh, that <artist> made that." Being able to distinguish the designer of a bear is, I think, very important. But I am a guy, I am not looking for the cute factor! bear_original I like the creativity of bear artists and the construction, this is what I admire. Maybe not as sweet of a reason as why some purchase, but, these are my reasons.

I have shown guys some of the bears we have and of course they are uncomfortable at first! bear_original But when I sit down and explain the bear making process, what goes into it, and show them moving parts... They tend to get interested believe it or not. I think guys, maybe not all, respect the craftsmanship. And if it is durable, something they won't ruin, they like it even better.

Oh, I like patriotic bears and tough bear_original animals like eagles, buffalo and the occasional penguin falls in from time to time! bear_original

Black Forest Bears Haus of Bears, Inc.
Largo,Florida

matilda,
I been trying to figure this one out since Years, and that is also the reason why am I doing constantly new Patterns, thinking, this is the one!
Well, I still did not found "the One" and now I am giving up trying to make time consuming, and constantly new Patterns,

Now I am making the Teddies I like, and if I dont sell them, I have the largest Bear Collection on the Planet, but, when I look at them, I feel good about what I made

Rita

One more thing... From a guy point of view / guy collector, I could be wrong on this. How many bears can a woman bring home and give to her husband? Not many. To make a bear for a man, you must think like a man. Go outside, roll in the dirt, spill a drink on your tshit (and leave it there - do not clean it - important), go fishing, cut the grass, all in one day, no makeup! Now, by the end of the day, you are pretty masculine.. Now think designing a teddy bear. 50% of the market just waiting for this. Not many guys want to put a cute teddy bear on there desk, but put something tough/masculine, could be a winner! Sounds funny and written funny, but, I think I made my point. bear_original

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

This is a tough one.  I don't just collect one type of bear or always look for the same thing.  I think over the past couple of years, I've been more open to bears that I normally might not have been interested in.  I buy what I like.  I am starting to learn more about artists, and artists make so many different kinds of bears.  I've been collecting since I was little.  So most of my collection were not collectible bears.  My first brand that I collected were Muffy bears, and I still collect them.  For Muffys, I've met some collectors that have every Muffy ever made.  I don't like every Muffy ever made so I don't buy them all.  I just buy what I like.  I also collect Boyds (there are so many that I even have trouble keeping track of them) and Steiff.  As for other manufacturers, I have Hermann, Merrythought, Deans and Canterbury (these 4 brands I've gotten at Disney conventions).  I don't have that many artists yet, but I hope to have more.  The artists I have are Sandy's Bearly Bruins (at Disney conventions), Ann Carlo (at a bear show in West Palm that they don't have any more; I think Bright Star), Koto Bears (at Disney) and Sue Coe (at Disney). 

Back to the question.  I like bears for different reasons and for different purposes.  I have bears that are soft and just to hug, like my 2 big Poohs my husband gave me.  They're good for long car rides too.  Then I have collectibles; sometimes you hug them, sometimes you just look at them.  I like sweet faces.  I definitely check out their faces; I think faces are important.  Sometimes I like their fur, their size, etc.; it depends.  I don't think I look for just one thing.  I tend to lean towards traditional bears. 

I don't know if this answers your question.  For me, it just depends on everything about the bear - I look at the whole package.  Unfortunately, my wish list is bigger than my wallet. bear_laugh   One good thing about artists it talking to them about their bears and the story behind each one.  I think it's makes you more interested in the bear.  At the Disney convention this year, we had to sign up for which bears we wanted without talking to the artists; my husband thought that really took away from it.  Hope this helps.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

So Scott...let me get this...you want us to make bears that smell like fish, have a potbelly (Shelli you can do that right?) and have beer stains...perhaps a little bbq sauce behind their ears...maybe some axel grease between their toes...sportin dirty sweaty baseball cap...and then you'd buy it?

Hmmmmm......

I think it could be done...really!!!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

spill a drink on your tshit (and leave it there - do not clean it - important)

Scott, is this a typo or Freudian Slip?  bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin

lol.... No.. I was saying that guys have a tendency to spill drinks on there shirts when they are working! lol.. A guy would leave it there, where a girl would quicly clean it off. So as part of being masculine, you cannot be to quick to clean the spill! LOL

shantell wrote:

So Scott...let me get this...you want us to make bears that smell like fish, have a potbelly (Shelli you can do that right?) and have beer stains...perhaps a little bbq sauce behind their ears...maybe some axel grease between their toes...sportin dirty sweaty baseball cap...and then you'd buy it?

Hmmmmm......

I think it could be done...really!!!

No!!! That is not what I am saying... But... mmm... Maybe that would work to! bear_original You see, I said any man on the board would be the pick on! I am only saying, mmm???? Well, I am not the Bear Artist! bear_original I am only saying to sell to the other 50% of the market, you have to think like them (maybe).... Not make a bear that stinks like them. bear_original lol... Who knows, do an experiment next show. Make a really masculine bear, see if he sells. If not, come back here and call me names, pick on me, the whole nine yards. But if he sells, BE NICE! lol

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Scott, I do believe I know what you are saying.  Most men who look at my bears at shows seem to always prefer the all fours bears . . . which, I think, ARE more masculine looking.  Do you like the all fours?

I can give you some examples from our collection... These are my personal favorites, but, we have a diverse collection, and I think farely large. So don't let my example say I am limited. I like variety of artists/manufacturer bears. But these are some of my favorites.

Sandy's Bearly Bruins (Teddy Doodle Dandy - Great clothing from the 1700's one of my favorites - See http://www.iloveteddies.com/news_page/1040056787.php for a picture - The pic does not due him justice - The texture and dye of the clothing are perfect - well constructed - Very Blonde)

Charles (Steiff - Dark Brown, white tipped - Charles is great looking)

Steiff Buffalo (Last Frontier Collection - Dark Brown)

Zucker Bears (I like the yes/no mechanics - very cool - Tend to be dark brown)

Steiff (First American Teddy - Fantastic! - Very Blonde)

Cheeky ("Cheeky Stars and Strips" - Cheeky, hard to stomach at first.. But they grow on you. Very unique - Blonde)

James (Steiff - The New American - Blonde)

Harrods Musical (Steiff Dark Green)

Holland Bear (Blue Grey)

I think I tend to like the dark colors in bears or absolute blondes. Traditional brown I stray from in my favorites. I think I noticed something, I like the older style bears a little better. Newer bears tend to have softer features as compared to earlier bears a bit more harsher (Sharper). Also, I either like dark colors or blondes.

Here is an artist bear that I am digging right now:
http://www.mutztoots.com/images/dflagbearer_small.jpg (Great, very curious this bear - Very simple, great flag, curious expression)

But Koto bears are great too! We bought a Koto Bear in 2003 at Disney Doll and Teddy. The mom and daughter couple of Koto are good fun. The bears are unique (at least in the states) and are well made. http://www.iloveteddies.com/news_page/1071968390.php (She is the top bear in the pic)

I forgot about this one - Here is some of our patriotic collection - http://www.iloveteddies.com/files/teddy-usa-group.jpg.. Man, cheeky's are so weird! But, they grow on you. bear_original

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

I think I am lucky as I have had male customers and had hubbies of customers urge their wives to buy more bears from me LOL

So, I think my bears could appeal to the male populas? I dunno really!  I think it could be because they aren't pretty, and soft looking.

Like Daphne says, my bears have attitude LOL

Danni

Deb Upstate New York

Scott ~

Mutztoots is one of OUR very own here on the board - Amy. :D

Deb

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Scott,  I agree a lot with you. I have read most  bear purchases are made by women but..who do you think buy the other % ? and perhaps there would be more male purchases IF there were more "male  type " bears to select from?

After giving this more thought it would be fun to guess what kind of bears would that be ? So far we have....
Bears on all fours,  realistic, patriotic,characters, unusual techniques & construction,
I will add Sport theme..(look at Cooperstown Bears. North American Teddies celebrity bears). Also, career/ work  bears, How about bears with teeth and claws that can rip your guts out...LOL..just kidding.Oh yes..you have probably seen; Michelle Lamb's Troubadour and Capt. Neimo , just fabulous male bears.   
Come on yall...can probably think of some more types of bears that would attract the male buyer... Winney

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I think it is wonderful to hear a man's point of view.  I have had a few men collectors buy my bears and they tended to go for the more realisitc rather than cutsie.

I like to do both, and I totally agree with so many of you... to design bears that YOU love and make sure the quality is top notch. 

Trying to please everyone is a recipie for failure.

Board footer