Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

bubbles Bearz by Ilze
Canberra

This is what my 11 yr old daughter braught home yesterday in her lunchbox of all things.....
FROGGIES.jpg

.....TEN of them and now she tells me she wants to keep them and raise them......Hubby just wants to feed them to our Lizards (I know the lizards LUV snails, but froggies....I'm not sure about that). Here's Captain Fluffy and Babezilla....THE lizards....
fluffy.jpg
bob.jpg

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Cute frog. I adore them. We arent allowed frogs as pets in WA. We arent allowed to move or feed them to our pets.  I thought there were pretty much the same laws around aust concerning frogs.?
Where on earth did she get them??? bear_grin

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Oh what beautiful froggies, please don't feed them to your wonderful looking lizards.
My kids came to me one summer morning and told me that they wanted to dig a pond. I told them where they could dig thinking that they would give up really soon, but throught the six weeks summer holiday they dug a bigger and bigger hole until my husband and I had to join in. We have now many years later still got the pond and enjoy every year watching the wildlife that visits us. Maybe your daughter could have a small pond for her frogs!

Hugs Jane.  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

bearlykidzbears Bearly Kidz Bears
Lodi, Ca.

I love the little frogs. When my son was young he had a frog that was about 2" in size one day while he was gone my husband brought home a really big toad that was about 10" big and replaced the small frog with the big one he wouldn't sleep in his room for a week because he throught some one would come and him big while he slept. Should of gotten a picture of him when he first saw the frog his eyes were as big as the frog :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup: Denise

bubbles Bearz by Ilze
Canberra

Hubby was actually just pulling her leg.  :crackup:  I told her yesterday already to go release them down at the pond as soon as they loose their tails.  Those little babies are 'Spotted Grass Frogs' (they get up to 4.5cm....which is not very big) and are one of three species exempt from licencing in the ACT.   I'm not sure I want to keep frogs too, I'm actually waiting for my licence to keep a diamond python.  bear_thumb

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Aww, how cute! Your skinks are lovely....I used to own lizards before I had the boys - 2 Bearded Dragons and a 5.5' Green Iguana that was a bit of a handful as he was stronger than me!!

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

How lovely that she would bring home frogs in her lunch box!
When my daughter and son were young we used to go to a pond and they would love trying to catch frogs with a net and they would croak
away all the time - such neat little creatures. They would bring home tadpoles in a bucket and we would usually have to take them
back as it did not seem fair.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Kat Brierley Bears
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Website

Aww, they're so cute! We are thinking about getting a lizard at some point.

What are bearded dragons like as pets Gemma? Are they easy to keep?

Hugs,
Kat

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

My son caught a couple of bull frog tadpoles, as a child.  They are very large with heads the size of golf balls and were about 3 1/2 inches long.  He wanted to keep them as they had already started to change and get little legs.  Then I found out the length of time it takes them to change depends on how large their environment is ie keeping them in an aquarium could mean we had tadpoles forever!  I took them back to the river pretty quick! LOL!

hugs,

Brenda

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

Aww how cute, I haven't seen any for years in our garden, since new houses were built around where we live - builders cleared trees and ponds away and all the frogs and bats went elsewhere, its a shame.  Glad you not really feeding them to the Lizards!!

Warm wishes
Pauline

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

HAHA, Jodi... :)

I LOVE frogs!  I used to collect them.  Stuffed ones, glass ones, plastic ones.  Even a few live ones.  We had one that lived in a wet, mucky place in our yard.  I named her Farrah, after the gorgeous actress of those days.

Pretty!

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

What are bearded dragons like as pets Gemma? Are they easy to keep?

Hi Kat,

Any sort of reptiles aren't particularly easy to keep - as long as you do some research and make sure you have all the correct equipment (which can be VERY expensive when first buying) you should be fine. Bearded Dragons are just adorable; they become very tame. I used to walk around the house with one on each shoulder - they loved the ride! Mine used to have a little bathe in the sink every few days too. Bearded Dragons require live food such as crickets, locusts, mealworms and waxworms (which they only have as a treat as they are chocked full of fat) so you have to consider keeping tubs of those (which obviously need to be fed and cared for too). They do like the occasional bit of veg too - mine used to love Curly Kale.
If you want a reasonably easy lizard to own which doesn't require a huge vivarium I would suggest Leopard Geckos; these are fantastic starter reptiles and become very tame too. They eat live food too but their habitats are different from Bearded Dragons; Leopard Geckos require a very moist environment whereas Bearded Dragons require quite a dry environment in comparison.

Ooh, I'm sorry for writing such a long post......don't get me started on lizards - they used to be the light of my life! Unfortunately I felt I had to rehome my Beardies and Green Iguana when I fell pregnant with my first son as I simply wouldn't have been able to devote the time to them like I did.

Please let us know what you decide on getting Kat!  :hug:

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Okay so when the kids and you were telling me about the lizards, I couldn't quite imagine them THAT big LOL  They are gorgeous, I can see why your gorgeous kiddies love them so much.

Emmm... Frogs huh!  Where abouts?  I can so imagine your daughter doing that!!!

I just hope you get her lunchbox cleaned out well before you pop her next lunch back into it  bear_tongue

Have fun - whatever you decide to do with him!
Danni

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

Yay frog! I can't wait to find frog eggs outside in a few weeks  bear_wub
The skinks are gorgeous, are they bluetongues?

I've got a Tokay gecko, a ball python (royal python, I think non-US folks call them) and
a cornsnake. Every so often we put together a vivarium and host a toad for a while too -
they're rather my favorite (no surprise there)  bear_grin

ginny Blankie Bears
East Chatham

Thought I'd get in on this conversation --I have a Bearded dragon- she is great! Very tame and calm. I feed her crickets which I buy from a pet store- 6 or 7 dozen every few weeks. The only greens she will eat are dandelion leaves which i pick out in the yard when the weather allows. We just got a foot of snow, so it will be a while.I will try curly kale and see if she eats it.
I'm also a BIG fan of frogs...my nickname was "froggie" as a kid because I always had a pet frog somewhere. I now have a green car with a license plate "Froggie"....have fun with the lettle frongs! They are cute! Ginny

Kat Brierley Bears
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Website

Thanks for the info.
I will let you know what we get. Although it might not be for a while yet.

bubbles Bearz by Ilze
Canberra

Yesterday, we went and released the little froggies at a little pond down the road.  I must admit that the little guys were pretty amazing.  When my daughter brought them home their tails were as long as their bodies......within two days there tails shrunk and completely disappeared.  I thought it would take a bit longer, but how amazing is that!  I definitely learnt something.

Danielle (my daughter) was very sad to see them go, but she says she knows it was the right thing to do. Apparently, while on her way home from school the other day, she found a couple of boys throwing rocks into a mud puddle, while laughing about how they are killing the tadpoles in it.  That's when she grabbed her lunchbox, told the boys off and rescued all the little tadpoles she could find still left in the puddle.  The only thing she kept saying after we releaed them yesterday was, "at least I saved them from those horrible boys".  She REALLY seams to like frogs - The last couple of days, every time I see her in front of her computer she is researching frogs on the net.  Perhaps I should go get her a green tree frog down at the herp shop.

Delartful Bears wrote:

I can so imagine your daughter doing that!!!

Yeah, I can't see my son doing something like that...he doesn't even bring girls home <giggle> Apparently it interferes with his schoolwork  bear_wacko

toadbriar wrote:

The skinks are gorgeous, are they bluetongues?

Yep, they're Easter Bluetongues.  They are quite hardly and soooo easy to keep.  We feed then carrot, zucchini, strawberries, banana and canned puppy food......but their most favourite is garden snails.

Here is a link to our Blueys website for more info and photos:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~jlinssen

Board footer