Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Jane D. Teddies to Treasure
Midland, Ontario

Hello from rainy southern Ontario! I have not been making bears for several months due to travel and a "frozen Shoulder"-of course my right side.I always did have trouble placing head pattern pieces on my mohair so that the nap was the same on both sides of the face.Is there a rule of thumb?I am drawing a complete blank as to how to place the pieces with regard to the nap.I like the fur on the gusset to go back from the nose but my side head pieces are going in all directions.Please help.It is a rainy day-just great for starting up my addiction once again-making bears that is! No rumors please!Actually if I don't get help today I just may have to try another addiction out of pure frustration and you will all be to blame. bear_tongue

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Hi Jane, I draw an arrow on the back of the mohair (just up in 1 corner) showing me which direction the pile goes. I then draw an arrow on each side of the head pattern (so they are mirrored) where I want the direction of the pile to go, so when I place it onto the back of the mohair, I can see if the arrow I drew on the mohair is pointing in the same direction as the arrow on my pattern piece. Clear as mud, eh?! Sorry, I'm not good at explaining things! lol

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Hi Jane,

I think the best way to do it is to take a close look at the pile side of the fabric, lay your pieces where the pile best suits them and then carefully transfer them to the back of the fabric in that exact spot.  Generally speaking, it works well to place your side head pieces pointing towards, or away, from one another bottom left corner and bottom right corner (if selvedge is running up both sides).  However, it's not foolproof and checking the front of the fabric can be a lifesaver!  Another trick is to make the head up, then use a water spray to dampen the pile and 'blow dry' it with your hairdryer so that it lays in the right direction.  If all else fails, I suggest trying a straight pile fabric with a nice dense pile to make your muzzle.  It's easier to work with than more distressed piles! Good luck!

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Oops, sorry - I just re-read your post and I've noticed that you said that it's going in all different directions! Once I've completed the head I do as Paula said and spray the moahir with a fine mist of water then blow-dry in the direction I want it.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I'm like everyone else. Try and place the pieces the best you can but it's tough to get perfect. So I also just wet the mohair and comb it where I want it. Once you start doing this there is no going back, it's so easy! Because mohair is real it will stay where you put it after it dries.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I have to agree with what everyone else is saying, I mist it with water and comb it into place.  Sometimes I blow dry and other times I use scotch tape and hold the mohair in the direction I want it to go and leave the tape on until the mohair has dried.

I also agree with Paula in using a nice dense mohair  as it doesn't seem to have this problem,  my absolute choice is to use a nice long alpaca for an an inset face as it's soooo wonderful to work with .

big hugs

Shane

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I hope everyone was able to help Jane? we really dont want  you to get stuck into the chocolate again. bear_grin

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I'd always treated the 'whole cloth' first. It was too fiddly working the pieces after sewing up. 
As the bolts are rolled up in the factory the nap is pressed in all different directions. Shipping and storage reinforces this misalignment. 

I pinned the mohair across the top edge with the nap facing me, to a wall and lightly steamed it while running my fingers through/over it to make it was all direct downwards, the direction it was intended to be. Not so much steam though that you eradicate the special effects in some of them! Allow to dry completely before moving.

For storage though you have to have hanging space. Or is that - space the size of your stash?!
I used hangars meant for suit trousers/slacks/skirts. Just doubled or triple-accordian folded the fabric to support the corners/edges and added a few extra clips along the center of the rod.

I always started the layout and cutting at the bottom of the yardage, so I still maintained a straight edge along the top for hanging, until the last cutting that I could get out of it.

Jane D. Teddies to Treasure
Midland, Ontario

Thank you for all the tips.I will be trying these tips over the weekend.I appreciate your taking the time to help. bear_flower I managed to stay away from the chocolate but I did have a glass or two of Merlot! Have a great week-end all!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I think of mohair as uh....hair....I give it a rinse in conditioner when I get it, then shake it out and let it dry-this way i have a better idea of which way the hair wants to lie.

A then when the critter is done style if necessary...mohair is very forgiving, fun to work with and then lastly, I try to keep it in perspective.

Its a teddy

or a golly

and its supposed to be fun? Right?

bear_wacko

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

I always check what direction the pile is going in as it just comes out of the backing.  It can be quite different from further along the pile length.  I place the pattern pieces according to how it comes out of the backing.  I also always place the top line of the muzzle on a straight of grain.  Then when the bear head is stuffed, I wet it down in the correct direction if it is needed.  Do this before you do any embroidery - water tends to make the colour run.

Board footer