Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hey guys, do you know anything about Tibentan Lamb Mohair?

I only know it from ebay but I would like to buy some. The problem is I noticed it's still on the hide and that just creeps me out. I didn't want them to kill the lamb so I could get the hair off it.

Or maybe I'm missing something?? I hope so because I really want some but I won't buy it if they have to kill the animal 1st.

Thanks for any advice you have

edited to add.........

oh boy! I've been looking on-line and found some nasty info. Just about rearing sheep for wool etc.
http://www.savethesheep.com/animals.asp?pf=true
I don't want to be a part of this........I hope I'm just getting myself all paraniod.
I don't want to freak anyone out either......sorry.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Dollmakers often use this for hair and I bought some. It is in fact still on the hide and I was creeped out as well.  bear_shocked I can buy sheared mohair locks for my dolls and lovely woven mohair from Intercal and Edinburg for my dolls. No more tibetan lamb for me. It's a personal preference I know. I wonder why they can't shear it and weave those lovely long locks into fabric...

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I have used Mongolian lamb for a bear, I'm posting a picture of him, his name is "Wild Thing" .  It is still on the hide just like any other fur (mink, fox, rabbit) so has to be lined.  It is a difficult fur to work with, well when you make an entire bear out of it.  Stuffing took around 30 hours, sewing it was a breeze though.

I'm not sure if the lambs are just raised to be slaughtered for their pelts though but I could be wrong.   I won't say that I'm for it or against it, I guess one might say it's no different than raising cattle beef or chickens or any other livestock.

big hugs

Shane

Mongolian.jpg

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

I seem to remember that the Tibetan and Monglolian lamb furs are not taken from lambs killed just for the fur.  (I researched this awhile back) The people who raise them also eat and sell the meat.......not any different from raising cattle and pigs for the same thing as we do in the US.  I believe their lambs and sheep are cared for much better than our slaughter animals here..........these people truly depend on the animals for survival.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio
thebearguys wrote:

I'm not sure if the lambs are just raised to be slaughtered for their pelts though but I could be wrong.   I won't say that I'm for it or against it, I guess one might say it's no different than raising cattle beef or chickens or any other livestock.

big hugs

Shane

http://www.teddy-talk.com/upload4/Mongolian.jpg

Good point. It certainly does make a wonderful bear. Your red bear is great (did you dye the fur) and I also like the one that "lemonwolf bears" has on B4B right now. I like the bare bear photos of him best. With all that fur who needs clothes?

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

Heather ...of course it is an animal.

And any part of any animal that is used for anything by any human is usually not a pleasant experience for the animal.  Sad to say.... the real world is a sad and scary old place when you finally come to grips with reality.

Waterloo, Ontario

Thanks Tami  I"m glad you like the bear.  We actually bought the fur dyed that way, I agree that with this kind of fur I would not want to cover it up  bear_grin

big hugs

Shane

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

What a glorious bear!!!!  bear_wub   I have yet to work with tibetan lamb....am currently hoarding a curly lamb coat as I type, and praying I can get through the handsewing again  :pray:  LOL

Yes, it should still be on the hide, and as the others have said, I think its because they eat lamb just as we'd see veal (baby cow) in the supermarkets here.   :hug: If it creeps you out, maybe you can utilize the doll hair??  I haven't tried it, but some of it looks gloriously long, and perhaps could be woven or somehow created into a mohair of your own??

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

We know all about the PETA info over here Heather. While alot is true it is also taken out of context .
We dont harbour cruelty to animals over here. Yes though these horrid conditions are there they arent at all stations all the time. The live export is something the australian public is trying to stop. The goverment we have at the moment just will not listen.
Here in WA they wanted to build another wharf for live export and we did get that stopped.
It was like rolling a greasy boulder up hill though.
There was an incident over the summer here the temps were 42C+ so the farmers had to bring forward the shearing and that very night the temps went down to -0C. There were a lot of deaths that night. No one saw the sudden dramatic temp change coming.
alot of time with the farmers its...damned if they do and damned if they dont.
I certainly donot want to protect with my comments the guilty, but sometimes even the good guys can over dramatise in order to get the the general public stired into active participation to help these poor animals.
Wendy

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

Heather .....

This might be something you could try if you dont want the hide with the hair...looks like she combs and picks and has small bags of various colours for sale...

http://stores.ebay.ca/Fraydknot-Handspun-Yarns

Florida Felter Enchanted Equine Studio
East Central Florida

Thanks for sharing that info Susan,since I really like the tibetan fur for my horse's manes & tails.
You sound alot like me,forever saving the bugs and spiders that happen to wander in,or the lizards my cats bring in off the porch.I too,come from a serious animal-lovin clan,in fact my Mom was awarded the Sierra club "Earth Mother" award.I like animals alot more than most people I meet,but then I would prefer the company of a nice tree over most folks too!
Im still swatting the skeeters though! bear_grin

:hug: Nicci

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Wow, thanks guys. I've been away for a few days but all this info is great.

Thanks for contacting them susan. I feel a little better now.

Wendy, it's great to hear it from you as you're soo much closer to the action then I am. I can see how that article was take out of context.

Shane, that bear is amazing! WOW!

Still not sure if I want to use it on the hide though, I've been avoiding real fur for that reason as well. But the stuff is soo pretty.
Maybe I'll go check out the loose stuff, thanks for the link.

Waterloo, Ontario

Heather just using a small bit of it on a bear really sets it off as well,  I don't know if I would ever do another one completly out of it.  I have used bits on heads and if you check our gallery I did a smaller bear where his tummy has white mongolian lamb  in it.  It's great for an accent and some texture.  I have also used the locks and needle felted it into the top of the bear head to give it a wild hair do.

big hugs

Shane

Board footer