Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I'am soooooooooooo mad bear_angry  bear_angry  bear_angry right now I could spit bullets and I need advice!!!

I bought a blonde mink fur jacket from ebay and received a rabbit stole!  I e-mailed the seller and here was their reply:

My mistake on the fur - I innocently thought it was mink (not being a fur wearer - that's why it was advertised for bear-making); however, it is a cape-like jacket as described -not a traditional stole. I want you to be happy. I think you got a good price even if it is rabbit but I will offer you a 25% refund of the selling price (I cannot return shipping and handling,) or you can return it to me at your expense ASAP and I will fully return your selling price (excluding shipping/handling.) If you return it, I will offer you free shipping on a future purchase (up to $25.) Please let me know what you'd like to do.

I don't want rabbit and I don't think I should have to return it at my cost!!  I probably don't want to purchase anything else from this seller so her offer of $25 off just infuriates me even more!  I paid US$56 which included US$21 for shipping and they paid US$15 for shipping.  Its not a cape like jacket as it doesn't have any arms the pics are totally different than what it is.

What should I do??????? I have never had anything like this happen UGH

And to top it off I just came back from my bank where I deposited my cheque last night and tried to withdraw $1000 in cash - the machine spit out nothing!!  So I was at the bank before it opened today and they can't rectify it because they don't service their own machines which are in their building!!!  Can you BELIEVE that!  Now I have to wait and they can't tell me how long because they have to fax it to a difference province - and its only 830am!!! 

Jane

Annnik JustMerde
Bells & Sherman, Texas
Website

Oh Jane.  Big hugs to you!!   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Did you pay through PayPal?  Can't they do something?  Look into eBay's solution center too.

I had a problem with a purchase last year and didn't go through these channels and ended up paying 3 times the purchase price to fix what I purchased.  I didn't want to "upset" the seller.  I should have sent the item back and demanded a FULL refund.

Other than what I just said, I wish I had some better advice for you!  So... MORE HUGS!! 

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Oh, I'm so sorry for your problem. And, paleeese, you don't have to be a fur wearer to know the difference between mink and rabbit! bear_angry  bear_angry  bear_angry

Should't ebay have policies against false statements? Maybe she makes her requirements so ridiculous, i.e., 25% refund on the price, or you pay for returning and she'll get to sell it again...quite a racket, because she thinks most people will just keep the jacket to avoid all the hassle and/or a loss on what they purchased.

I see so many of you using ebay and doing so well with your sales, and then I see that so many of you also have trouble with the site for various reasons. I don't think I'll ever try ebay but one day I hope to use B4B as it just sounds so much safer.

Good luck with this; hope you can settle it to your satisfaction.

kallie214 Friends "Fur" Life Bears
Gig Harbor, WA.
Website

If you paid via Pay-Pal, you can talk to them and possibly do a charge back. I think the seller is being completely unreasonable. He made the mistake, not you. You shouldn't be out a dime because he misrepresented his item. You could also contact ebay and maybe they can help you out.
That is kinda weird about your bank, but I suppose all our banks are like that too. Both of my son's went to the ATM together and requested money. It gave them a recipt, but no money. (Why the other one even tried when the other was unsuccessful in getting his money, I will never understand...sheesh, teenagers!) Anyways, Our bank did find that they had not received their money and credited their accounts pretty quickly. I hope it works out the same for you! 

Im sorry to hear of your troubles and I hope they are resolved quickly...afterall it is Friday the 13th so my advice is go back to bed *smiles*

Bear Hugs,

Kim

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

She should refund EVERYTHING.

I sold a bunch of cycling jackets on ebay. One transaction I sold was a mens and it should have been womens (maybe). There was no tag stating either and I think it was a unisex. Regardless,  I apologized and refunded everything plus paid for all shipping. The buyer couldn't believe I did this. They sent me email thanks you and wrote very nice feedback.

IMHO, I think the seller should refund everything and pay the shipping or you give negative feedback. It was her fault. Who cares if the fabric was meant for bear making. It was misrepresented.

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

That happend to a friend of mine.. but it was a pair of jeans.. they were a totally different style than what they had said. She contacted paypal who refunded all her money. Not sure if that will help.. but they have sent you something that is not what you ordered and they should be paying for the postage. Email her and tell her you don't want it at all... that there is no market for Rabbit and you don't want it and that you should not have to pay for postage for something that you bought in good faith as mink.. that you should not be out money for something you did not order.

Good luck!!! Bigggg Bear Hugs!
Melanie

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Website

I emailed them and requested a full refund and that I would ship the item back as their cost and that I was thinking of reporting them to ebay.  This is the reply I received:

The pictures are the same as the item you received and will stand up to review by eBay. I checked. My original offer to you stands but expire April 21. Reminder: my auction states NO REFUNDS. I was willing to offer you two options to make you happy. Please let me know what you'd like to do. I cannot refund your shipping and handling AS STATED IN MY AUCTION and cannot ship back at my own expense. This is the last communication I will send other than to expedite the offers I have described. Thank you.

Now I'm really mad!  The nerve of them when it was their mistake.

So my question is is a dispute worth doing.  They already left me good feedback on ebay - can they change the feedback after the fact??

I did look at lodging a complaint with paypal and I'm seriously thinking of doing that.  What would you do????

Jane

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Jane, I just don't know what to say. She's really a piece of work and by the sound of her post to you it sounds like this is her way of doing business. I can't believe she's been given good feedback, because with her attitude, you know this isn't the first time this has happened...she's checked.  Call me cynical, but I don't think this was a "mistake" on her part.

She's not even trying to meet you half way. It seems to me she's saying as long as she posts a picture and calls it mink instead of rabbit...well, it's your fault. I don't do ebay so I really don't have any advice; I don't know their policies...but I would be inclined to file a complaint. Maybe you could file a complaint...leave a fair and honest feedback and they try selling it on ebay yourself...

PaintsNMinis Sidhe Bears
Vienna, NJ

I'd file a complaint with eBay.  Item NOT as described.  It is described as MINK... it's rabbit.  Even if the photos are of the item you received... the item is NOT as described (Mink). 

The other thing I'd do is... if you're using Internet Explorer... while you have the ebay auction page listing this item open, File, Send, Page by email.  That way you have a copy of the page AS IT IS WRITTEN (in case she tries to make changes to it).

There is a complaint form on there somewhere to file with eBay that the item is NOT as described (mink).  And while she can state that she does NOT offer Refunds or accept Returns, or pay the full shipping back, etc... if she is sending out a RABBIT FUR and describes it as MINK... then she HAS to take it back.  I was reading thru the community postings awhile ago on eBay and someone had sold something that stated it was 14K gold, and stamped on the medallion that it was 14K gold.  The buyer had it tested, it was NOT 14K gold... and he filed a complaint.  The seller was the one who was asking for assitance, did she HAVE to refund everything as he requested even though it stated NO RETURNS... and the answer was YES, since she described it as 14K gold, and it was NOT... she had to accept the return, and refund everything...

Since she already left positive feedback, she cannot retract that.  She can, however, add a comment to the feedback she left saying something negative...but it will NOT retract from the positive she already left.  And you can always leave a comment to the comment stating that "item NOT mink as described, item was RABBIT FUR".  :)

eBay will stand in YOUR favor, not hers...

good luck!

Robyn

Stitch SanguineCreations
Wales
Mo Beary wrote:

I emailed them and requested a full refund and that I would ship the item back as their cost and that I was thinking of reporting them to ebay.  This is the reply I received:

The pictures are the same as the item you received and will stand up to review by eBay. I checked. My original offer to you stands but expire April 21. Reminder: my auction states NO REFUNDS. I was willing to offer you two options to make you happy. Please let me know what you'd like to do. I cannot refund your shipping and handling AS STATED IN MY AUCTION and cannot ship back at my own expense. This is the last communication I will send other than to expedite the offers I have described. Thank you.

Now I'm really mad!  The nerve of them when it was their mistake.

So my question is is a dispute worth doing.  They already left me good feedback on ebay - can they change the feedback after the fact??

I did look at lodging a complaint with paypal and I'm seriously thinking of doing that.  What would you do????

Jane

How can she check? Personal I'd take pic's of the item, if they  different to what she has on her ebay listing and I'd contact paypal for a full refund, showing the pic's if need be.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

REPORT THEM!!!!!!!!

Don't even think about not doing it. You're in the right here not the seller. I think you'll win this one, as if she checked, she's just trying to scare you. Save those emails and report her!

How horrible! I'm soo sorry Jane.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Dear Jane: you are having a tough day. When I have one of those, I just remember a time 10 years ago when I almost died. So when I have bad days, I thank God that I am alive to have a bad day. It puts things in perspective for me. But none-the-less, you feeling bad and I send bear hugs to you.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Jane, I assume from what was said that you paid for the item by PayPal??? My understanding is that if the item is not what it is supposed to be you can have your payment reversed by PayPal so I think I would check into that first as well as contacting ebay to see what they advise on an item that was so clearly misrepresented - pretty hard to see from a photo (especially some of the photos you see on ebay - bear_grin ) that it is even real fur never mind what kind! I think people have to be held accountable for how they describe things as we depend on that to know what it is we are buying. Good luck!

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Paypal has a dispute called  'significantly not as described' sounds like that fits your bill! The only drawback is that you will have to pay for return tracked shipping (which really is unfair) Ebay has some message boards where you might be able to read more specifically about what to do.
     She can't change her feedback to you to a negative, tho she can add a response onto her other feedback- it won't affect your score though. So at least you dont have to worry about that.... sounds like you need to leave that Negative to warn others, cos it sure sounds like this isnt the first time!
    And sellers wonder why people are getting wary of buying on Ebay!

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

report them to ebay and paypal.....................you are protecting the rest of us from an aggressive dishonest trader.......it is your public duty!!!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Doesn't matter if she says "no refunds" What you got was NOT what she told you you were getting... DO A DISPUTE THROUGH PAYPAL!!!!! She is being TOTALLY unreasonable!!!! And that is what paypal is there for as well - it isnt that you got mink and it was the wrong color or something rabbit IS NOT mink! and like was said before, you dont need to be an expert to tell mink from rabbit...

PaintsNMinis Sidhe Bears
Vienna, NJ

Yup, definitely report them.  Either file a dispute with PayPal or through eBay!  I just read the description.  She states it is a JACKET... then describes it as a cape-like jacket.  NOT a CAPE.  Of course, she doesn't mention sleeves in her description, but...

and...she states it is MINK. 

So... there you have it... she can check all she wants, but she IS in the wrong!

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Hi Jane,

I pm'ed you earlier today about this one too. 

The auction clearly states "Mink" in more than one place and in the subject line.  Never once does she waiver or state that she's not an expert and guessing at the fur type.  Sellers are savvy, she knows that the phrase "mink coat" alone might sell better than "rabbit or some other kind of fur coat".  If the seller admits to making a "mistake", as she did here, and in her listing she states ...and I quote "All items are guaranteed authentic" then you have every right to a full and complete refund.  Auctions are good faith agreements, contracts, with contractual verbiage.  She wrote what she wrote and now she must stand behind it and honor that contract OR have item misrepresentation actions taken against her.  Simply stating "no refunds" doesn't give a seller the right to write whatever item description they like and then say oh well tough noogies to you I said no refunds.

:hug:
~Chrissi

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Website

I'am sending her one final email - Chrissi is a great writer and helped me out with this one.  And If she hasn't refunded my money by tomorrow and agreed to have the item shipped back to her at her cost I will be reporting her and getting my money back. 

I did copy the auction as I was worried she would change it.  I'm glad she can't leave me negative feedback as I was a little worried about that.  This is so frustrating!

I will keep you all posted on my success!!!  And thank you everyone for your wonderful advice.  I haven't had anything like this happen before and I was in shock!

Jane

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

Hi Jane

I don't know about in Canada but in Australia we have a Department of Fair Trading, which basically enforces ethics and fair trading. When you represent your goods dishonestly and untruthfully, even in ignorance, this Department will enforce fines. This even means on Ebay. as I have used this Department for for this reason when I had a case similar to yours. Do you have a similar Government Department. If so certainly inform her that you will be using it. In Australia if your complaint is proved you pay no fees as their fine includes all fee theirs and yours, for being dumb enough not to admit they were at fault and forcing it to that degree.

Please check out if you have a similar ruling.

bearhugs

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Website

I sent her an email this morning and haven't heard back from her yet.  I suspect I probably won't hear from her.

I will let you know what happens.  This will be a learning experience for me and I will definitely share with you all!

Jane

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Website

I just received 2 messages from the Seller.

First one:

Send the merchandise back at your own expense and I will refund your original purchase as offered. R

And then the Second E-mail:

Here's another idea. You keep the jacket. I'll go in and refund your purchase price but not the shipping and handling. I'll do this the minute to tell me this idea is ok. I'm sorry you're unhappy and I made a mistake, but it's time to move on from this issue. I hope you can see the wisdom of compromise. R

I accepted number 2.  At least I have the coat and I can possibly resell it or maybe even use it at some point but I really don't like working with Rabbit.  I'm still not leaving her very good feedback. 

Jane

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

Good for you. She's still not being completely fair but I understand you want to be done with this episode.

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Woo-Hoo... :dance:  :dance:  :dance:   Your last e-mail to her must have been a doozie. She seemed to have had a miraculous epiphany all of a sudden as to the "wisdom of compromise...time to put this behind you..."

She was trying to intimidate you, but she didn't know you have nearly a thousand TT-ers behind you. I am sorry that you've had this awful experience and you had your weekend disrupted but you can sleep well tonight. When will you know if she has actually refunded your money?

And best of all...the issue  really is behind you now.

:hug:  :hug:

Board footer