Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Have you ever had a serious case of the hic-cups? One that lasted for days? The kind that cause your whole body to jump and cause you to make funny noises. The kind that eventually give you a belly ache from using muscles you don't usually use.

Well, guess what? I'm into day two of "SERIOUS" hic-cups!!! (No, I haven't been drinking!) They aren't constant, they come and go..... they usually come when I'm trying to hand sew or talk on the phone.

I've heard many remedies for hic-cups but have yet to find any that are working this time. Usually a glass of warm water does the trick for me.

How do you get rid of the hic-cups?

puddinjack Bay Street Bears
Bristol, Tennessee

bear_original Daphne, When was the last time, think about it now, when was the last time you saw a white horse?

That trick worked for my sister when we were at the Beach a while back.  She was walking around huccuping loud enough for a lady to ask her this question.  They stopped.  Can't hurt to try!   bear_original Wendy

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Have you breathed into a sack?  Has someone come up behind you and scared the bejeebers out of you?

Check out  http://www.ehow.com/how_1956_rid-hiccups.html

http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/healt … f-hiccups/

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

I find to get rid of hic-cups is to either, Have a shot of un diluted cordial. orr get two straws... A glass of water. Place one straw in the water, One outside and suck as hard as you can for as long as you can. You bearly swallow any water but the mix between the water and air get it every time!

Hope it works,

Richy~

Jodi Moisan Storytime Bears

Eat a teaspoon of sugar, it works great for my son, he gets them all the time.

"Hey maybe he just wants the sugar" bear_ermm
No really my husband tried it too and it does work.
Hope it does for you, I hate the hiccups, but love to sneeze.

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

This is what works for me.......you take a deep breath, then take a good sip of water and hold it in your mouth, turn your head to the side and slowly swallow the water before releasing your breath.  This seems to work every time......and I tend to have hiccup fits like what you are describing.  Very annoying!! bear_wacko  I hope you can get them gone ASAP Daphne! :hug:  :hug:

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Daphne,
Oh what a pain...have you tried a spoon full of peanut butter...and let it disolve slowly in your mouth? Works like a charm for me...

Hugs &

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

All of these remedies.  Peanut butter ?  Great excuse for Daphne!

I just hope it gets better because I know how annoying they are.  I annoy the whole house hold when I have the.

When I have a teaspoon of sugar - that helps, or failing my breath for ages sometimes works or lying down - they go away after awhile.....

Goodluck - the last thing you want at the moment right!  :hug:
Danni

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Oh my goodness , I was going to say sugar !!! Jodi you amaze me !!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

So I'm scratching my head trying to remember when I last saw a white horse meanwhile peanutbutter and sugar sit on my tongue and my head is turned sideways while I suck water and air through straws.
:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:
The laughing has given me another fit of hic-cups!

These are actually some very interesting suggestions. I LOVE the peanutbutter one, Charlotte and will try that one next.

Any more suggestions? These are great!

fribblesltd fribbles, ltd.
Kalispell, Montana

Daphne---my husband swears by this remedy.  Light a match, drop it in water, drink the water.  He says it's a chemical reaction to the sulphur or some such gibberish..

I get the ones that come and go and they're really loud...everyone laughs at me hiccuping..

Good luck!!

Amelia

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Drink a large glass of water straight down.
That usually works for me.
Hope something helps you , that is terrible!
Bless your heart!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh Daphne I hate having the hic ups!

Bob says to get a glass of water, bend over at the waist and drink the water from the wrong side of the glass.

Works for him... but I can never seem to do it right....

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

The Peanut butter works like a charm normally...and the other thing is have someone massage up & down your spine...makes you straighten up...and relax the diafram(sp)..which is the problem usually. I hope the hic-ups are history very soon!!!!
Hugs &

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Laura, stole the words out of my mouth!!! Drinking from the wrong side of the glass ALWAYS works for me! (just try not to get the water up your nose!  bear_grin )
Before I learned about this method the only thing that worked for me was to sip coca cola - I would get hic ups so bad they actually HURT and the coca cola did the trick!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Laura and Edie.... I'd have water everywhere but in my mouth and Edie, coca-cola GIVES me the hiccups!
Interesting what works for one person does the opposite for another!

I didn't listen to any of you... when they started again just now I laid on my back on the floor, heating pad on my chest and took slow deep breaths. I dozed off for about 5 minutes until Riley (dog) started licking my face! And the hiccups were gone.  :dance:  I hope for good this time.

I'm figuring it's muscle/diaphram spasms too... hubs reminded me I had the hiccups for a week before the last show I produced. This time it's two weeks before. Hmmm.... Maybe I need a muscle relaxer! :crackup:

I love everyone's ideas... can't wait to try the peanutbutter one! We're out of it at the moment. bear_sad

Any more suggestions?

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

Exactly.... what Charlotte said..it is your diaphragm....in a spasm or being a bit squeezed by continuous poor posture....as in bear making?.... and also being adversly affected by shallow breathing.   

Try to learn a few yoga breatlhing exercises..... they can often help.   A few massages might be of benefit too... if you can find a good massage therapist who knows their stuff.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Well Daphne I hope you are HIC free by now! This has been a very interesting and funny thread to read, all I need now is hiccups so I can try them out...not the peanut butter, I hate the stuff.

Hugs Jane.  bear_thumb  bear_flower  bear_thumb  bear_flower  bear_thumb  bear_flower

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Daphne, I believe hiccups are when your breathing is out of synch with your muscles.  You'll have to have your hubby surprise you to make you jump out of your skin...startle you would be a better description, then it will reset your breathing pattern. 
This has always worked for me.  Being startled will cause to you inhale sharply...but it has to be done naturally and unexpectedly.

Good luck.

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website
Laura Lynn wrote:

Bob says to get a glass of water, bend over at the waist and drink the water from the wrong side of the glass.

This has worked for me my whole life. It has never failed me. Something about forcing the diaphragm the opposite direction while drinking.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I've heard of cases where people have had hiccups for YEARS.. and they can't figure out how to stop them  bear_ermm

I was going to tell you the one Amelia said - thats the one my mom says to use... I just drink water and try to calm my breathing and it usually works... USUALLY... but sometimes I get hiccups for 10 minutes and my chest and tum start to hurt....

Hopefully by now you hiccups have ceased!  :hug:

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Well as kids my sadistic mother would make us take as deep a breath as we could, hold it and take nine sips of water.  If it didn't work the first time, or we couldn't hold our breath for the full nine sips, she'd make us do it again. 

It doesn't work for my husband, but he didn't have the 'training' I did as a kid.  Mom didn't take no for an answer.  We stood there doing the whole thing over and over til the hiccups went away.  Oh, and my brother tried to scare me once as a kid....and the hiccup pattern got worse!!!   bear_ermm   Wretched older brothers!  Of course he wanted to try again  :crackup:

Fingers crossed they stay away for you Daphne  :hug:

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Do you still have them ????????

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Ha!!! I'm pleased to say that they are GONE!!!! Took a few tries. I thought the heating pad while laying on my back did the trick but they came back for one last quick visit. So I tried the peanut butter thing... of course! Not sure if it was that or the big glass of water that followed but they are history!

For now....

I can't imagine having them for a week never mind years!

ginny Blankie Bears
East Chatham

Glad to hear they have stopped Daphne--I was having fun reading all these suggestions--but which side is the WRONG side of the glass??? That sounds like a joke to me! :crackup: Ginny

Board footer