Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

bear_rolleyes O.K.,
I've been working on a realistic dog. I know cats are my style, but I love all animals and I've had beloved dogs so I am working on a very realistic dog (a friend's dog that I love). Is it true that dog people will only collect their breed of dog? I've heard this from other artists. I am working on a very handsome mixed breed dog of excellent character.  This is one reason I have concentrated on my cats. Cat people will collect all kinds of cats. Their character is more important than their breed. If I have to create dogs in just a few breeds I think that will be the end of my dog designs bear_wacko Is this the only way to create dogs?
Karen

ginny Blankie Bears
East Chatham

I have made several really cute dogs and no one was interested in buying them...but several people who saw them asked me if I could make a copy of their dog from photos (a different breed than the ones I made). The  breeds all look so different that I can understand their preference for something similar to their dog. On the other hand, you can rarely buy a "mutt"-type dog, so maybe someone with a mutt would appreciate your handsome mixed breed! Ginny

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I've also met some cat people that would only collect 'their' breed as well, so no.....I think if you've got a true dog lover, they'll collect more than one breed.  You must also remember that several people will have memories of mutts as childhood friends...so your mutt may easily strike a chord with them  bear_thumb

Frankly, I think you'd only be limited by your imagination when it came to dogs.   bear_flower

BFB-Lyn Brimbin Forest Bears
NSW, Australia
Website

bear_original Yes, dog people are quite different to cat people in that they do tend to only collect things in the breed/breeds that they own and dog show people can be really picky especially when it comes to the details and make up of that breed  bear_rolleyes I am a dog person and been involved in different breeds and spent many years in showing them. I reckon though if it is a little cross-breed then I'm sure it will appeal to many people who have dogs like that.

Hugs Lyn  bear_flower

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I would say that I would only collect Pomeranians bear_original  Dunno why... or possibly Irish Setters - both of which I've had...

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Well i have 3 dogs and 3 cats...so I guess I can talk for both types a little bit! bear_laugh

When it comes to dogs, yes, dog people do tend to focus on their specific "breed".

I like items that represent the dogs I have or have had. BUT I would be inclined to buy a "mutt", mixed breed, or plain "dog"  if it caught my eye..because as a dog person there's nothing better than a good old fashioned truer than blue mutt/plain old dog.  I don't think you have to pigeon hole yourself into what seems to be hot right now with a few select  breeds. 

Jodi mentioned a particular artist a little while back and I'm head over heels about her dogs....www.Nice-Puppy.com by Susan Tantlinger.  Susan has since joined TT too. 

Cats...you're right, it's the character, spunk, cat-ness that catches my eye.  It's great to find something that looks like one of my "mutt" cats..but it's not necessary.  It's not going to be as extreme as say yorkie to mastiff.  Cats are character.

Can't wait to see your dog!!

:hug:
~Chrissi

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Karen, this is a really interesting question that I've never given much thought before. I have some Scottie stuff sitting around, but I don't buy every Scottie thing I see. We couldn't find a Scottie calender for 2007 so we have a great English Bulldog calendar in our office and I just love it.

And, did anyone see the Sunday Parade today with an add from the Danbury Mint. Oh, it's so cute...a Christmas tree being decorated with and by a bunch of English Bulldogs. They're just all over the place and it's just adorable...I want it.

I'm not a cat person and I wasn't around cats while growing up and I don't know why, but I've always been afraid of cats. But I have to tell you, Karen, that you and Krista have made me see cats in a whole new way and I love your cats and Krista's cats and dogs.

I think most people who love dogs, just love dogs period.  Breeders or show people would probably stick to their own breed. So many people have rescue animals these days, I think people would generally love whatever you created...breed specific or mut.  There are people who love dogs who would collect just because it's a dog...kinda like we all love bears, all kinds of bears.

I know your dogs would be great and I would love to see what you'd come up with. I just love your cats and I really hope you do follow through and give your clients a chance to see what you produce.  Please...

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Ginny, Debbie, Lyn, Chrissi, Marlys, everyone,
THANKS so much for helping me understand. I realize I have to think about breeds, but there is the possibility of going beyond just specific breeds of dogs to appeal to dog people. I'm going to try.
Karen

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

As a dog person myself I'm drawn mostly to dogs of a breed I've had or have. I don't know about cats but dogs have very breed specific characteristics (both in personality and looks) which cause the owner to really connect to that particular breed. Does that make sense? If I'm looking to buy something with a dog on it from eBay I type in "wheaten terrier". Why do I want a chihuahua on my tote bag if I own two wheatens? (No offense to chihuahua owners!)

My experience as an artist is similar: the breed specific dogs I've made and put on eBay have been bought by fanatics of the breed who will pay anything for a one of a kind of the breed of dog they own. And as has been mentioned, many will ask to have me create their dog in the fur. The exception being one woman who bought a purebred dog I made because she was a retired groomer and that breed had been her favorite to groom.

It's not a bad thing but I think some dog people tend to be a little more breed specific in their taste.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I have to agree with Daphne and the others on this Karen, I have a shi-tzu and would likely only buy something of that breed.  Now that's not always true when it come to soft sculpture, it depends on whether the particular dog grabbed my attention.  I bought one of Art Rogers French bulldog's this weekend and he had a daschound that I would love as well, but only because they were so adorable and fun that I NEEDED to have them.  This is just me though , I do believe most would only collect or buy the breed that they own or owned.

big hugs

Shane

K Pawz Guest

so true what everyone has said Karen....many people email me on my dogs, don't bid, but ask for a totally different breed....some breeds that I have made have been spitting images of the breed and they don't go because they are not as popular, my affenpinscher that is up right now, is I believe my most realistic yet, but he is the slowest seller, I have had many enquiries on him from breeders one even asked his stud fee :crackup: ....but he still sits with the least amount of bids this late in one of my auctions and barely any watchers....Yorkies are the biggest sellers, and no matter who they are done by they will always sell...I have tried mixed breeds, even called them "designer Dogs" and they still don't sell well....I would love to see you make a name for the mixed breed though in this day of the rescue dog...I have two rescue dogs, have made a dog similar to each, but nobody wanted them because they were my dogs, not their dogs if that makes any sense....also I have made a few large breed dogs and they don't sell nearly as well as the small breed dogs.....but this is just my experience with it in the short short time I have been making dogs (since last December) I guess all I can say Karen is GO FOR IT!!!! I myself would buy any breed because I am a dog lover in general!!!

Thanks Marlys glad to shown you the beauty and joy of cats!!!!
hugs,
Krista

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

what if you called it a "rescue" dog?  deb

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Daphne,
My first available dog will be a "Wheaton". I've listened to everyone about breeds and looking at my mixed breed (he is part Wheaton) I realized that I could try again and this time it will be a purebreed Wheaton.
Karen

K Pawz Guest

sounds awesome Karen, can't wait to see pictures of the Wheaton, and of the mixed as well!!! I am sure that you are going to blow our socks off!!

I plan to try some more mixed breeds too...and funny you say that Deb, I was going to call them my "Rescue Pups"!!!

Hugs,
Krista

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

:dance:  :dance:  :dance:  I can't wait to see your Wheaten. I love Wheatens. A few years ago at the Palm Springs Dog Show (every January) I had the sweetest Wheaten rush up to greet me with hugs and kisses like he'd known me all my life.

We haven't attended the last couple of years, but it's just so much fun to go walk around and see all the various breeds and get a feel for their personality. I think attending this show several times widened my appreciation of all breeds. And most owners/breeders/handlers/groomers are eager to share their breed's characteristics and let you pet them while they're waiting their turn in the ring.

But I just love all dogs...Can't wait to see your Wheaten.

lbsl0 Whittier, California

Hi,  I am a Sheltie owner, and all I do is Shelties (buy or or create) I also have had requests for other breeds.
I wont do them, because I do not feel that I could "capture" them as well. .  I have lived with Shelties for over 25 years, and having them around as models 24/7 is the reason my plush Shelties are so good.  (I can't believe I just said that!!!  I still find it sooooo amazing that my hands create them.  It just blows me away!!!)

I do agree that "rescue" pups, dogs, or mutts should do very well.

I will keep an eye out for them!
Linda

Board footer