Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

vkallum Humble-Crumble Collectors Bears
Essex, England
Website

Hi Ellen

Not silly at all - I've never thought of sealing it - now that is silly.  After it is waxed I just leave it, and as far as I can tell (from looking at those poor little not-quite-right guys who never get to leave my house) the wax doesn't deteriorate.:)

clare14 Country Bears
England

I like Blue Peter style Vicky, thank you so much!!   I'm going to try your way the next time.

I do use coloured waxes, black and brown on black or brown noses, and I use them to age my bears paws too!   The ones I have are ezy-wax.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I'm a bit late jumping in here... cause I just finished a waxed nose a few minutes ago :)

I'm trying 2 finish up my Teddies 4 Charity bear... yes, I'm late.... and I used part of Sue Ann's method - of painting on the beeswax...with a twist ;)

First, I don't have an electric stove and was afraid 2 heat the beeswax on my gas stove.  Then I remembered my candle warmer!  It looks like a mug warmer, but lower wattage.

I put a small amount of beeswax into a small glass condiment cup and put it on the warmer.  Worked like a charm!  Used a paintbrush to paint the wax on (carefully) and let it set a few minutes.  I should mention that the wax solidified almost as soon as I painted it on.  So probably the candle warmer did not get the wax as hot as the way Sue Ann does it.

But that was fixed in the next step... I turned the toaster on (without anything in it) and held teddy's nose over the heat.  I'd put him back and forth (did NOT want any wax dripping into the toaster!  I did not have any problems).

The toaster melted the wax nicely into the threads.  I then used a part of a brown paper lunchbag to buff it.  Then did everything one more time and I was done!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:redface: It never ocurred to me to use the microwave!!! Ack!!

I love your bear, Vicky--beautiful face :D

Eileen

ellen ontario, canada

great idea Laura, thank you!  i have a mug warmer sitting at home doing nothing but collect dust!!
bear_original

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Vicky - thanks ever so much for saying how you wax your noses - I'm going to have fun trying out all these techniques :)

Catherine

Essex, England
Website

Hi Eileen

The microwave is great for wax - I'm not much of a cook so I may as well use it for something!:)

clare14 Country Bears
England

Laura you're a genius!!!!!!    I can use my oil burner, I have a few collecting dust, what a fab idea - oooooh you're a gem;)

starlite Starlite Bears
Renfrew,Scotland

Hi
I love waxed noses so I had a quick scan through the messages and I have to admit to cruelty to bears - when I have done my noses - which is definitely not as expert as the other makers here!!
I do not buff at all I take the bear upstairs to my room where I keep - my hairdryer
then I give the nose a gentle  blast with the mid heat on the dryer until I see a healthy shining glow !!
Please no one think this is intentionly cruel I just found that my hands were not so good at buffing so necessity being the mother of invention - thats why I tried this
Anne

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_grin:lol:

The microwave is great for wax - I'm not much of a cook so I may as well use it for something!

bear_ermm Cook? bear_ermm

Eileen

Densteds Densteds
Website
Eileen wrote:

The microwave is great for wax - I'm not much of a cook so I may as well use it for something!

bear_ermm Cook? bear_ermm

Eileen

What is that four lettered word???

Lots of great ideas from everyone, I'm going to try a few out!!
Denise.

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Heather and Vicky,
You can use plain beeswax on a coloured nose but if you wish to build up he layers for a more solid waxed nose, the layers start to become more milky and take on the colour of the wax. So when you want a solid waxed nose in a brighter colour, you will get the best results if you use a matching coloured wax.

Essex, England
Website

Thanks Hayley

I was just going to ask if you can use coloured candle wax - but I have just noticed you have an array of lovely colours at the Bearcupboard!  I wonder how they would look used over a darker colour?

many thanks

Vicky

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks for the info Hayley. Makes sense to me!!  :clap: bear_smile
Heather

Board footer