Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

beary_clairey Luton

Hey All,

I have just come back from a few days in Krakow, Poland. My Brother and his fiance got married out there as she is Polish.

We had a great time. Here are some piccies!!

wawelcastlefromterraceja1.jpg

This is the view from our hotel terrace. You can see part of Wawel castle and the river.

theclothhallcz6.jpg

This is the old cloth hall which now houses a market selling Amber and gifts.

coachtoursog5.jpg

They had beautiful carriages going around the city on tours. I ran out of time otherwise I would have loved to have gone on one.

clairebywawelrivervx1.jpg

This is me by the river opposite our hotel. We were lucky that the weather was sunny during the day. But it did get cold at night!!!

We also visited Auschwitz and its sister camp Birkenau. It was sad but informative day.

mainentranceatbirkenausu6.jpg

This is the main gate at the Birkenau camp with those infamous train tracks.

traintacksatauschwitzio3.jpg

Standing on the actual train tracks at Birkenau. Such a sad place to visit and all of our group were so touched by the senselessness of it all. What a waste of human life.

On the wall at Auschwitz there is a saying which goes along the lines of:

"Those who do not recognise and learn from history, are more likely to re-live it" Those words are so true.

Hugs

Claire

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Thanks for sharing these wonderul pics. Poland looks beautiful .

Lynn Wisconsin

Claire, thanks for the great pictures.  It looks like you had great weather and a wonderful time.

Lynn

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Claire, you are an amazing photographer! The pictures are wonderful and it lookks like a beautiful country. I've sent these pictures to my husband at his office...he's half Polish. His maternal great-grandparents were immigrants to the US in the late 1800s. Thanks so much for sharing.

I can imagine that visiting the death camps, however, would give you an overwhelming sense of sadness, but you're right, we should never forget.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Beautiful and thought provoking, Claire . . . thanks so much!

Cheshire Cat Wilmslow Cheshire

Great pics Claire,my father is Polish ,
hugs,
Louise x

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Claire: Wonderful pictures!! Thanks for posting them...I love to see pictures from other countries...

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I've never been to Poland, but I'm DROOLING over the amber market  bear_rolleyes   I just ADORE amber  bear_wub

The tracks and pics of Birkenau are ....well, very scary.  To think that all that had to be built, brick by brick, and allowed every step of the way.  They are right....history will only repeat itself if we do not learn from it.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

So pretty!  I have to say, I've never had a view like that out the window from any hotel room I've ever stayed in!  Your pictures are also incredibly poignant.  Those of Birkenau remind me of last summer's visit to DC's Holocaust Museum, which was a very moving experience for me.

Am I alone in wanting to see a photo of the bride and groom???

Thanks for sharing your pics!

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Poland looks like a very beautiful place and those train tracks, sends a chill down ones spine.
Thanks so much for sharing.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

It does look gorgeous and so clean too, must visit there sometime, it is somewhere I never think of.

Warm wishes
Pauline

beary_clairey Luton

Thanks for your comments.

Krakow is a very beautiful city with so much to see. If I hadn't have gone for the wedding, I probably would never have thought of going there. Now I have been I would go again !!!

The camps at Auschwitz were sad and when you see the size of Birkenau (how big it is) its very shocking as that is only where a small percentage of prisoners were kept in comparison to how many died.

Hugs

Claire

Board footer