Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

katiebear Fords Bears
New Jersey

Hi all,
I was wondering where you guys buy your needles for attaching the bead eyes.  I just purchased really small  eyes, 1 mm.  When they arrived I realized all my needles were too large to fit through the bead.  I went out and got the smallest ones I could find and they still are too big.  Where do you guys get yours???
Thanks, Andrea

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Could you try getting a needle threader, and pulling the thread through the eye with that first, and then threading your needle? bear_original

katiebear Fords Bears
New Jersey

That's an idea!!  Wish I thought of that before.  I'll give that a try.
Thanks!

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

bear_tongue You're very welcome! Let me know if it works bear_happy

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I use 1mm from time to time. I run the thread through the bear, take off the needle, run the thread through the eye then thread the needle again and back through the bear.

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Since I am also a beader...I have size 13 beading needles & very thin beading thread....and magnifier visor...

Hugs &

katiebear Fords Bears
New Jersey

Just an update. I tried the needle threader on the bead and it didn't fit.  I think I need even thinner thread.  I found a needle but the same problem.  Couldn't thread it with even a needle threader.  The search continues for thin thread. Thanks for the help.
Andrea

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

Okay Andrea...what is going on over there?   You must be able to just shove the thread through the hole in the bead cant you?  Even 1mm beads have holes plenty big enough for carpet and button thread.   They come threaded on a piece of fishing line or thick thread when I buy them.  Perhaps a couple of your beads have plugged holes? Hold the bead with haemostats.... over something light so u can see the hole,... or just cup your hand and hold it in there...usually u can see the hole against the colour of a hand... you absolutely must get a good light though.........and just poke the thread thorugh the hole.

or......get a beading wire..it is a very thin metal filament.. thread the the jointing thread through it and then take it through the bead hole..and then change needles to get the thread through the head of the bear.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Excellent suggestions, Veroninca!
You've given all of the options that I would've! I would've added, Make a new cut on the end of the thread and moisten it only SLIGHTLY with your fingertips to tame any fuzzies you can't see.  If none of these work, 1 mm eyes may just not be in your repertoire.

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

.. only one more teensy thing...cut the thread on a diagonal..so it is even sharper...and hardly any fuzzies to tame...lol

Jodi Moisan Storytime Bears

I use size 12 beading needles by Beadsmith  for my mice, cutting the thread at an angle is what I do too and then pray :pray: 
:hug:
Jodi

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

I needle my thread...hold thread still & move needle eye over the thread. I use size 13 needles & "B" size Nymo thread.

Hugs &

KiddoBears KiddoBears
California

Hi Andrea I have worked all sorts of beading needle projects.And I have found my needles in different places and states (Mexico) when I have traveled. You can find it in
Peacemakers, Wall Mart,Micheals, JoAnns, fabric local stores,sewing machine stores carry sewing notions.
you can also plug into the web and you'll be surprise what you find. Silk needles are the best they are 3 to 8 inches and some come longer depending on where you get them,on these I use the thinest  filemint nlyon thread to place on these needles this thread fits easily on all very thin needle hole which you can insert with the thin needle threader or by hand easily since it it stiff. I use it alot in minis,my beads and something that I would not want the thread to show.Hope this helps  bear_original Mary

katiebear Fords Bears
New Jersey

Thanks again  for all the new suggestions.  I will give them a try.  I feel silly that I can't thread the needle or the bead.  I had my daughter try and my sister. The needles I got are the thinnest I've ever used, I never had a needle that I couldn't eventually thread.  As for the beads, they did not come on a string but they must be thread-able.  I know the needles can fit the bead, that was no problem, just no thread in it.  I think the beading wire may work.  I appreciate the help!!
Thanks again!
Andrea

rabbitsandribbons Rabbits & Ribbons
Ohio

051207B1.JPGI have had to thread the bead separately before, on very tiny onyx beads.  I quilted in the past, and have several "in between" needles around.  Most of the time, that's what I use.  My tiniest bunny is 1/2".  My micro beads have just arrived, and they are holeless!  I guess I'll be using glue.  I picked up some glue a while ago because it had a needle fine applicator.  I use it to attach porcelain hooves on my micro horses.  I'm about to see how well this glue works on eyes...

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

ohhhhh, Sharon, I would hesitate to glue eyes (or anything else) onto NFing. This made a difference in how we'd answer you - at least from me.

Gluing onto fabric means attaching it to a somewhat 'solid' base. NFing is too nebulous and not likely to establish a good bond with every single bit of surroundung materials. When the background is likely to shift in the slightest, bonds can be broken.

I've seen hole-less beads and have used them as bubble-bath or in decorative uses, but wouldn't for critters' eye.

The smallest (onyx) bead I've used is 1 mm. Some of the beading needles will slide through the hole, but my NFing is so solid that those needles are too flexible to sew through the item with. I end up rethreading to another needle.
I like those 2-wire twisted ones that open along their entire length.

A needle threader goes into most bead holes to draw the thread through.

My beads come on strings: first crack at them will be to have the thread ready in my right hand while I slide the bead off the silk string in my left fingers. The hole is still oriented at that point (I'm also wearing a finger-attached or over-my-head magnifying glass) and I'll try to insert the cut thread that way.
If it won't go in, it goes into my palm and I'll move the bead back & forth along one of the folds in my palm's skin.
Failing that, I hold the bead in a hemostat so it doesn't move, re-cut the thread end and try again. One of those 3 has always worked.

katiebear Fords Bears
New Jersey

Just an update, I purchased some fine thread along with some beading needles  and it went through like a champ.  Now I can finish off a few little ones I have been working on.   Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions.  Have a good one!! bear_happy

Board footer