Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Hi everyone
Can somebody tell me if you have used a fabric stiffener on lace? I have these wings, that I want to use on a bear but, they are to ...How I will say?? flappy bear_grin  I am using rhinestone on them too and I was wondering if a stiffener maybe will do the job but, get the rhinestones cloudy? HELP!! bear_wacko
Tanks  you guys.
Bear hugs and Golly smiles.
Gladys bear_flower

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

I have never tried it... but could u use some spray starch on the back of the lace so it doesn't get onto the rhinestones? ...or ther is a product from the craft shops called Stiffy... have not used that either..but you could check out the applications for it... probably even on line..
perhaps if the sprays are too while...try to dab on some with a paint brush.?

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I've never done this with a rhinestone, so I would test the idea on one first to see if it would work without harming the stone.

You could cover the rhinestone with rubber cement and let it fully dry.  Then treat your lace with whatever product.  Once that's dried completely, take your fingers and peel away the protective rubber cement. 

Again, I've not used it on a rhinestone, so I'd be testing the rubber cement first to be sure it wouldn't cause haziness, but I've used rubber cement as a protectant before, and its very easy to peel away with your fingers.  Just rub!  bear_thumb

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

Wouldnt' a bit of Scotch tape on them be a bit quicker and easier?

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Thank you to both of you. The wings has rhinestones in both sides but, silly me :redface:  I I didn't think of protecting the stones!!
I am out to the craft store. Wish me luck ladies and thankyou again.
Big bear hugs.
Gladys bear_flower

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I just bought 2 products by Aleene's recently...I haven't tried them yet, but all of their other products have always worked according to plan so I'm guessing that these would too.   Aleene's Stiffen Quik (a spray that gives you more control) and Aleene's fabric stiffener & draping liquid. The later you can thin/tint, etc

Good luck!

:hug:
~Chrissi

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Thank you so much Chrissi bear_flower

dogdayafternoon South

Hi Glady's,  When I use any kind of stones I use Vaseline to protect them and then just wipe them clean with tissue. You can then use the spray on method of stiffner.  DebbieD, good idea about the rubber cement, but I have no patience when it comes picking it off.  Hope this helps! Deb

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_original I don't mind, the Scotch tape and Vaseline ideas are much quicker than my rubber cement idea.  I just didn't want her to manage the fabric, only to find she'd taken the flash from the rhinestones after all that hard work.   bear_flower

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Aleene's fabric stiffener & draping liquid

I've used this for years and LV it.

Draping cheesecloth over balloons to make Halloween ghosts, allow to dry and then pop the balloon. They stand up fantastically well, just don't get them wet (inside use only..)

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

It would make more sense to stiffen the fabric first which fabric stiffener  does a nice job with lace wings. Then apply the rhinestones. if stones are already on the lace then use a little nail polish to cover the stone. It will come off after. I light coat is all that is needed.

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

I know it will be easier to put the stones after but, the wings already came with the stones Matilda. bear_sad  I think that I will add more after I use the stiffener but, with the ones on now I  know, thanks to you guys, what to do to protect the stones and make sure they keep on shinning  bear_original  Let me tell you,  I am disappointed!! I thought I would be working on the wings already  but,  I went to Wall-Mart,  I thought they will have the stiffener, no,  the lady there at the craft department, told me that she "had never hear about it" !! I will check my Michaels' tomorrow. I do love and use Aleene's products too but, never the stiffener, thanks for telling me they do make it Bobbie.
I will keep you guys posted. bear_grin
Thank you so much .
Bear hugs.
Gladys bear_flower

KiddoBears KiddoBears
California

Gladys I have used the Fabric Stiffner  Its from Plaid Stiffy ( fabric Stiffner) I have used it in many applications on my emboriedered noses to stiff them.also on different cloths. You can use it on you wings But  remember rinestones is glass and liquid is milky your rinestones will get a little cloudy,and these can be cleaned with a Q-tip and alcohol or nail polish remover & small cloth to swipe them. You can make your wings this way. :hug: I am always experimenting and ask myself What IF and I do what I think. If I am not satisfied I try something else. Trial and Error are my driving directions to my creations.
A. Prepare your wire with white flora tape. B. put liquid in a dish and dip your fabric,squeez excess liquid.and smooth out.
C. Let your lace dry over your shaped wings over night by clipping your material on the edges to bond with aligator clips or sewing them near the edges of the wire frame while damp and leave to dry all night flat. (And if you are in a hurry you can dry them faster with a Blow Dryer.)C: Next day proceed to clean your rinestones one by one. and shape your wings any form you wish. Alternative: You can also shape the form of your wings on styrofoam. 
Advise bear_smile Sorry to say! never use masking liquid near any cloth if it falls outside on edges of rinestone or any other object with  fiber (chemical sticks to fiber,its yellow and hard to take off,need solvent to take off.It only rubs off on canvas,glass only,smooth plastic or hard surfaces.

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Thank you Mary bear_wub  I am going to try with the florarl wire! See the one I am working on, I should have been more clear about the actual lace, it is lase but is like an applique in the shape of a butterfly. is the kind that you sew on the garment but, what you are telling me about the wire got my imagination working  in full gear!! I can use so many beautiful laces and just do it with the wire , like you just told me THANKS!!! I think I am going to make a "few" fairies now bear_grin  to be able to use your technique and oh!... so many pretty laces!! Today  being Fathers' Day I am not going to be able to go and get what I need but, I can't wait till tomorrow!!
Thanks again Mary :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
Are you going to the San Diego show?
Bear hugs.
Gladys bear_flower

KiddoBears KiddoBears
California

Gladys You are very welcome, :hug: I am happy to know i was able to help in some way.  :dance: I do want to go to San Diego, since I wasn't able to be there last year. Has she sent out the application? I am thinking about it because I will have alot of expenses in attending the IDEX show if Las Vegas. I'll see how it goes over there, its my first time. I hope I am not in the wrong place. It seems that its a show mostly for dolls.  I thought there were going to be alot bear artists. I just saw 2  listings with bears including me. If I go I look forward to meeting you in San Diego Ok.
I am sure that with your beautiful laces and making your wings your choice you will be creating beautiful sellers. Let me know if all worked well Bye! :hug:

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Hi Mary I am not selling at the SD show I have been going for the passed few years to it but, I have never gotten a table. I guess that I am very insecure about my work. I'll do it...one day bear_original  when I feel brave enough bear_grin  I will love to be able to meet you there.
I hope that everything goes well for you at the las vegas show. I have never been to Vegas. Even if they will have dolls there I am sure that it will be plenty of us, bear people.
I'll better said good night  zzzz  I am falling sleep!!
Thanks again for your help and can't wait to get to work om the wings!!
Bear hugs.
gladys bear_flower

RaggyRat The RaggyRat Company
Weymouth
Website

hmmmmm, stiffenener, stiffie, stiffy, rubber cemment, and scotchtape - this should pop up in a few 'interesting' google searches !
:crackup:
sorry
i'll go and make some coffee ....
cat xxx

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

000_1441.jpgInteresting for sure! I have to be "careful" when I write, some of my friends will tell you for sure :crackup:
Here is the one Fairy I finished. I did not use the lace winds. I use an applique ones. I still want to make one with lace.
Bear hugs.
Gladys bear_flower

Board footer