Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Its a bit off topic, but I was hoping some of you might be able to help me.  My little sister is currently looking for work, and has her resume listed on an internet site.  She was sent this via the resume site.

Apollo First
Phone: +44-20-3002-4666
Fax: +44-20-3002-4666
132 Tottenham Court Rd, Suite 12
London W1T 7PD United Kingdom
Dear Martha,

Thank you for your interest in our offer.

Apollo First is one of the leading companies in Australia who offers alternative and fast investment opportunities for independent investors all over the world. We seek high yield investment opportunities on the International Commodity Trading Markets. Better to say we are saving some substantial proportion using this way of investment.
Position of ACCOUNT MANAGER is original know-how in processing of investment credits.

Job Requirements:
- You are a resident of USA and Canada only;
- Working hours: 9.00am-1.00pm Monday - Saturday;
- Excellent customer service attitude and work ethic;
- Must be able to work flexible shift assignments.

IMPORTANT! No taxes taken from any sum we provided.

Duties:
- Reception and processing of payments;
- Creating reports;
Ability to communicate by email and receive calls effectively etc.

IMPORTANT! We don't work with checks but with banks payments only. Lots of frauds use raised checks while banks payments are unpickable. It's the main demand of our Security Department.

Payment:
Your basic salary will equal $30 per hour +$1500/mo ($80/$45 for managers with corporate/business bank account). You'll get your payment as a wire transfer approximately once a week.
Apollo Group will reimburse all transfer related fees.

Also you can use your own bank account for our cooperation.
But it would be better if you could open a business account. You can register a Corporation or a sole ownership and get a business account at the banks listed above.

To start the job you have to do the following:

1. Open a new bank account for our cooperation or use an existing bank account in one of these banks Wells Fargo, Washington Mutual, PNC Bank, Harris Bank, Commerce Bank, Citizens Bank, US Bank, Bank One. The banks in list are just recommended. You are able to use any other.
Also it would be better if you could open a business account. You can register a Corporation or a sole ownership and get a business account at the banks listed above.

2. Find a Western Union/Money Gram office near your bank.
Please, visit the site www.westernunion.com / www.moneygram.com to look for Western Union/ Money Gram Agents in your location.

3. Inform us about the date, when your new bank account will be opened.

4. Fax the scanned copy of your Identification Card (passport or a driving license). We should verify your identity. Please provide us with a clear and readable copy of your Photo ID.

5. You may find your application form and Contract here:
Download Contract
Download Application

As soon as we receive all details we'll sign a legal agreement and all operations will start in 3-5 business days.

If you have questions please contact us.

Feel free to contact us via email.
After your employment we will call to you in the business purposes.

Yours faithfully,
"Apollo First Group"

Chris Myers
Manager of Hiring Department

To me, this sounds totally fishy.  I was hoping some of you in the UK, or in Australia might be able to shed some light on this for me, though.  Does anyone know of this company, or anyway to check on it??  I don't want my little sister getting caught in some form of money scam ~ and she's being very tempted by the salary in this case.   bear_sad

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I don't know of this company but just reading it gives me some bad vibes!

Jane

bear_sad  I'm the same way, but she's getting SO swayed by the money right now, what with two little ones to feed.  I was hoping someone might know of a way to check to even see if this company even exists.

Just coming back to say NO WAY is this legit!!!  I did a google search for this skystriker.dakotacom.net  and look what I came up with  bear_angry

http://www.rafaelgarcia.org/test.php

My guess is that this person will utilize the information given for identity theft.  At the very least, if she provides a bank account, AND her Driver's license or passport numbers they will be able to hammer the bank account for credit.  Which means my little sister would be left holding the bag. 

I've told her mightily to run the other way, and to either delete this, or print it and hang it somewhere visible as an example of a very nasty scam!  I hope by posting it on here, others can dodge the same scenario.   :pray:

chris009av Real Deal Bears

Ummm for ,'one of the leading companies in Australia'  why have I never heard of them ?????
Look very suspicious to me too  bear_ermm

Lynn Wisconsin

Debbie, try going to clarkhoward.com.  He has a nationally syndicated radio show and gives consumer advice.  People get advice on things like this all the time on his radio show.  I did notice that you can email him from his web site also.

Lynn

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

Having worked in the finance industry (Aon Actuarial for many of those) I know most of our leading companies and I still work in share trading part time. I have never heard of them and any company that asks you to open a special bank account is instantly sus in my opinion....I would be hitting delete delete delete without hesitation.

Sandra

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

I agree, I'd say it's definately NOT legit.

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Like you've already found out run from this one!!  Sheesh, this is plain old ugly.  I can't think of one company that would require you to open a bank account. (A general rule of thumb: be hesitant of any upfront money requests or financial commitment when applying for employment. Period.)  The email/advertisement here is an awful mess of gobbledegook for any "leading corporation" to be sending out.

I feel for your sister and other honest folks who see this and are trusting.  If it looks too good to be true....it is.  A few months ago Good Morning America ran a whole series about work from home moms (and dads).  Here's a quick look at their topics, with lists of legitimate businesses to research. 
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Working9to5/story?id=2621388

Good Luck!!  bear_flower

:hug:
~Chrissi

Shelley Kooterboocubs
Brighton

VERY FISHY TO ME!!! I wouldnt trust it!! Shelley

Ok, so I'm nosey and wanted to see if anything in the letter was legitimate.  The address and phone numbers match up perfectly with another investment company  http://true-vol.com/about.php   Look at the wording of their career opportunity pages compared to this letter your sister received. Big difference.  I'd forward this onto their Hiring, Risk and Security contacts listed, they might not be aware of their information being used for fraudulent purposes....if this is indeed the case. (????)

~Chrissi

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow, Chrissi . . . you're a really good detective!

SueAnn wrote:

Wow, Chrissi . . . you're a really good detective!

bear_grin   I love Google!!!! bear_grin
~Chrissi

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

IMPORTANT! We don't work with

checks

but with banks payments only. Lots of frauds use raised

checks

while banks payments are unpickable. It's the main demand of our Security Department

Dead giveaway ... Aussies don't spell it that way (we spell it the same way as the Brits - cheques)  ... you would think these scammers would learn a little about the country they are representing!

Ok, so the risk management junkie in me wouldn't let this one die  :crackup:   It's the one thing I really miss still about my old gig.   bear_grin

So after poking about online I found some really scary stuff and I take back my previous suggestion...don't email any of these companies about fraud..it looks like one big ball of fraud.  These sites are all easily set up using quickie template systems (one here is via godaddy registered out of NYC). 
Here's the scary part...which one is real, if any..how could you tell???  Nedgroup looks to be the true existing company. probably being used in this scam.

Look at the write ups vs names and photos between these 2 sites !! They kept only one name the same and that's how I found it..."De Wet" other names were altered. But the credentials are all the same...different photos, different companies.  Scary scary stuff.

http://true-vol.com/about.php
http://www.nedgroupinvestments.co.za/Co … de=EXECCOM

other sites all using the same names and or contact information:
http://lite-business.com/index.shtml
http://maticagold.com/about.php
http://apollo-first.com/

Off to bed now...got my quality assurance/risk management fix for the year!!  :crackup:  :crackup:

~Chrissi

KiddoBears KiddoBears
California

I would say to ingnore and be safe than regret later. Their are alot just out there to scam you and if you fall for it. They made a hit. We just recieved an e-mail telling my husband he won a Mercedes from their promotion department. That they randomly select e-mails from billions of people and he got choosen, these people are in Spain is what they say. I trash out any e-mail i do  not recognize.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Crikey the lengths some people will go to. This jumped right off of the page at me as a big NO NO. Very naughty!

Hugs Jane.

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

Another point that says this is not an Australian company to me.........we spell checks............cheques.......not with a "ck"......our English background and even US companies operating in Australia bow to this............So to me this "company"......and I'm being polite here has never operated in Australia for  one day.

kerrenmorris K M Bears
UK
Website

no this is just one big no no!

You'll get your payment as a wire transfer approximately once a week.

a bit too "may be you will may be you won't"

[Also you can use your own bank account for our cooperation.
But it would be better if you could open a business account. You can register a Corporation or a sole ownership and get a business account at the banks listed above .

either a rip off or money laundering scam here!

After your employment we will call to you in the business purposes

this doesn’t make sense, once you have set up your account we will tell you what the work is?

a copy of your passport and bank details could be used for identity fraud.
don't go near this one.
bear_cry  kerren

Ladies you are without a doubt FANTASTIC!!!!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:   I thank each and every one of you from the bottom of my heart for this, I really do!  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

I'm her big sister, so sometimes she'll listen to what I say, but sometimes she won't ~ and I know she was being utterly swayed by this one.  I've forwarded copies of your replies, so she can see for herself that this is FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD!!!  I couldn't do it without you, seriously!  So THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!   bear_flower  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

AGAIN - WOWOW - Chrissi, you are GOOD!!!   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

wow, great detective work everyone! Amazing!

My 1st clue was a company offering that kinda money would at least CALL for an interview before they started to offer all that.

I can see why it was temping for her though.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

There is one passage in there that screams illegal scam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dont go near it.

. Fax the scanned copy of your Identification Card (passport or a driving license). We should verify your identity. Please provide us with a clear and readable copy of your Photo ID.

they dont mention that with your identification they will now take over your  identity and make the rest of your life hell. Eveil Mongrels.

:hug: I just wanted to pass on my little sister's "Thank you''s  bear_thumb   With the help of all you brilliant TTers, she's decided that this is definitely one to run away from. 

As her older sister, I know it was all the help on here that swayed her in the end!   bear_flower Nope, she wasn't listening to me, Mom, or any family.  Yep, it was people from around the globe that yelled and told her to steer clear.  And you know what?  I don't care she didn't listen to me, so long as she listened!!!   bear_original

Thanks again!!!  bear_wub  :hug:  You guys are the best!!! :hug:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

coming late to the party, I had a question;

If this is truly an Aussie company how come they only want US or Canadian folks?

Hope all works out for your sis...I am so impressed with everyone's digging into the background.

Alot to be learned here You're an impressive group of ladies  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Board footer