No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

cruiser.jpgand having a grand time...

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

bear.jpg...when I come around the corner and found this little guy sitting in the middle of the trail. I had to slam on my brakes to keep from hitting him.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Jennifer,
     What a cutie - did he move as soon as he saw you?  We had tons of black bears around when we lived up north.  We wore Bear bells when we went off the main areas, to warn the bears we were coming.  Do you use anything like that?

hugs,

Brenda

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website
thumperantiques wrote:

Hi Jennifer,
     What a cutie - did he move as soon as he saw you?  We had tons of black bears around when we lived up north.  We wore Bear bells when we went off the main areas, to warn the bears we were coming.  Do you use anything like that?

hugs,

Brenda

He didn't move immediately which surprised me. He moved off the bike trail to the walking trail and sat there. He was very curious. The park rangers were there within a minute. I am sure they were tracking him with his GPS. We stood around and took photos for easily 10 minutes. The rangers just followed him to make sure he didn't cross the road into the campsites. We got lots of pictures and took video.

Funny, that was the third bear we saw that day. However, the other two we saw were much bigger and at higher altitude. They were also much further away (fortunately).

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Cute!  And deadly!  Even in a very small size I'd be wary of those claws and teeth, too.  I'm glad it was just a bike ride/sightseeing experience and that you didn't end up in the hospital minus a limb, Jennifer.

Awesome pictures, including the cutie patootie one of you on the bike.  Jennifer mentioned in another thread (can't remember which one) that she met  me a few weeks ago while in Chico visiting her sister, who's the mother of one of my son's favorite friends.  (Did you follow all that?!?)  Anyway, our Miss Nimbleknot is just as cute as a button and as sweet as those cupcakes she ices so sweetly with fabric and felt.  Sooooooo cool to meet this talented lady in person!

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I think I would have froze and then  :redface:  wet myself. Ugly blighter isnt he? bear_grin
Your holiday sounds wonderful Jennifer!! :dance:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Fab photos, Jennifer!  So that's where you've been - wow, having all that fun and looking so good yourself!  Would be just fine with me if you posted more photos of your vacation.

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

That's a fantastic shot of you riding your bike Jennifer............Yosemite is on my To-Do list, i have always wanted go there ever since i saw paintings of it by American artists.
A Bear!.....not too keen on that aspect of Yosemite, if i ever go i will take a bodyguard with me and a suit of armour.
Penny
bear_tongue

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

I am soooo jealous......I want so much to meet a bear in the wild.......I keep hoping as I drive through the Adirondacks, but none yet.
Ellen

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

I think if I had seen #5 I wouldn't have been stopping to take a pic - I would have been peddling faster!  You're a brave one!!!  I'm quite lily-livered (like those possums from Ice Age, The Meltdown!  LOL).

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

wow wonderful photo Jennifer and you look great on your bike.   I was in yosemite a few years back, well just nearby at a reservoir called Hetch Hetchy (or something like that!), and we were walking along without a care in the world and had to go through a tunnel to get back to the car.  Suddenly we saw a dark shadow in the tunnel - YIKES it was a black bear  bear_cry   

We slowly back tracked and sat up on a bank nearby to get off the pathway and my legs went to jelly  bear_wacko   First bear we'd ever seen in the wild and he was stopping our exit to get to the car!!!  Eventually he came out of the tunnel and sauntered past us (holding my breath!).    When eventually he had moved far enough away we went to walk through the tunnel (that was creepy in the dark, hoping not to find anothe bear!!).  When we started walking part of the bottom of my walking boot had obviously had a fright too as it came loose from my shoe and was flapping along like a duck's bill!!!    bear_laugh   So can you imagine us trying to walk fast whilst walking slowly and with my boot going flip flop along the floor!!   bear_laugh  bear_laugh   Luckily we lived unharmed to tell the tale!  Afterwards we got bells to attach to our bags!

Catherine
xx

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

OT . . . Catherine - your avatar bear is adorable!!!

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website
Bumpkin Bears wrote:

We slowly back tracked and sat up on a bank nearby to get off the pathway and my legs went to jelly  bear_wacko   First bear we'd ever seen in the wild and he was stopping our exit to get to the car!!!  Eventually he came out of the tunnel and sauntered past us (holding my breath!).    When eventually he had moved far enough away we went to walk through the tunnel (that was creepy in the dark, hoping not to find anothe bear!!).  When we started walking part of the bottom of my walking boot had obviously had a fright too as it came loose from my shoe and was flapping along like a duck's bill!!!    bear_laugh   So can you imagine us trying to walk fast whilst walking slowly and with my boot going flip flop along the floor!!   bear_laugh  bear_laugh   Luckily we lived unharmed to tell the tale!  Afterwards we got bells to attach to our bags!

Catherine
xx

Haha! That's funny! I can totally visualize that moment. Funny, yet scary.

When I saw the bear I immediately thought, "uh oh...I didn't read the bear pamphlet...what an idiot...but I know not to run...they just want food...."

I blogged my trip. It has more pics of our Vernal Fall hike. I need to get a link for the really cool shots my husband took, he's the real photographer. I want to go back and see Tuolumne Meadows and hike Half Dome on the next trip. Gotta see Hetch Hetchy too...gorgeous.

Jennifer,
     Yep - NEVER run from a bear - you back up SLOWLY while still facing them.  Our kids were even taught that in school, as bears used to come into the school yard after the crab apples.  You'd think they would have planted some other kind of trees LOL!.

hugs,

Brenda

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Yosimite is a beautiful place. It's been years since I was there. Its beauty is always breathtaking. Glad to have you back.

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

What a treat/fright to see a bear in the wild. He is a rather ugly one though and he looks so uncomfortable with the collar.  But, how cool to get a picture . I'd be frozen in my tracks I afraid  bear_happy

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Brenda - we planted a  crab apple in our front yard this year BEFORE it dawned on us that we were inviting the bears! DUH!

Now, that little guy Jennifer met up with.... it would be all I could do not to go right up to it and play with it!!!! I'm a sucker for all things furry and worry about the consequences when it's too late. But OK, I do have some common sense! I'd just stand there and take a hundred pictures!!!!

Hi Daphne,
     It's funny what we do without thinking of the consequences.  Fruit trees or berry bushes of any kind were just asking for bears to visit.  There were wild raspberries and blueberries all over the place in Deep River - that's why we learned to wear bear bells. 
     The little guy in Jennifer's photo IS really cute!  I'd be taking a ton of pictures as well!

hugs,

Brenda

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website
nimbleknot wrote:

...when I come around the corner and found this little guy sitting in the middle of the trail. I had to slam on my brakes to keep from hitting him.

so cute!   bear_wub

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Great picture!  And perfect timing, I have to thank you for the instant inspiration!! I've used your little guy #5 for shading on my latest bear!!  He matched the coloring perfect and I loved his big dark eyes.

5 has got the cutest shape...look at those long legs!!  I kinda feel bad for the little guy, having to wear all that stuff around his head, but I guess it's for his own good in the end.  The pics on your blog are awesome too!! Thanks for sharing it all bear_flower

:hug:
~Chrissi

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I love reading the 'ugly/cute' comments about #5  :crackup:   Awwhhh...he's a bear, how could he be ugly??  Okay so he's at a gangly stage, but I think that's all the more appealing  bear_wub   Bless 'im, he'll grow into those legs eventually.

I was truly pleased to hear how the park rangers were on top of things, tracking this little mucket and making sure he's not tempted to the campgrounds.   bear_thumb Way to go park rangers!!  bear_thumb Its really in the best interests of everybody.

And that first shot ~ is calendar worthy!!!  Its so breathtaking with the scenery, but absolutely cool to have you in the frame, enjoying the beauty on your bike.  Shell's right, you're a cutie patootie  bear_grin  bear_flower

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Great pics ! your look so cool ont the bike Jennifer !!! and what a beautiful site !!!
for the #5, he is REAL !!!! I will be freezing if I met him !!!!!  bear_wacko

Board footer