Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Sloth-small.jpgDoes anyone ere use hair products on their creations at all? I'm especially interested in faux fur workers, as I'm currently working on a creature in faux fur and I need to change the fur direction in a few places... and tips please?

EDIT: I've added the picture of my sloth, so you can see what I mean: this is the direction I need his fur to follow, but it is very quick to revert back to the opposite way!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I use a spray hair gel for finishing my bear's fur, but I don't use synthetics much.  Since mohair is "real" hair, I think any hair product would work okay.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I would never attempt to style synthetics because I think any product applied to it will be damaging...I find mohair is ok to style...

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I've always wondered- as a 'cosmetologist', wouldn't dust and stuff become more attracted to the nap if it's got gel or spray or any 'products' on it?

I've stayed with steam to redirect pile/nap.

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Yes, that's what I was worried about: the solvents warping the plastic fibres... hmmm....

How do you steam your creations, Bobbie?

hmduffy Posts: 27

I would say steam it with an iron. (Don't iron it, just bring it close enough that the hot steam gets on it.) A hair dryer might help too. (Test this! I haven't.)

Doll customizers use boiling water to style & perm synthetic hair. I don't think water's appropriate here, but the heat will probably help.

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Thanks!  I've tried spritzing it and drying, but it was taking too long and it was too late at night, so I had to stop XD  I'll definately have another go now!

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Right, Don't let an iron touch the pile!

Spritzing didn't do it for me; I needed the warmth from the steam and a finer mist to work it faster.

I've got a little travel steamer, not meant to even touch fabric, that I use. I hang the yardage against a wall with a true grain, and with the selvedges running up and down, steam it section by section (I don't steam it enough to wet the cotton backing, as it is on the grain) and while the fibers are warm and damp I'll use my fingers or a very wide-toothed comb or whatever it takes to redirect the pile in the proper direction.

(You've seen those bears that have the pile going forward on half of the muzzle and backwards on the other? They could use some steam, before cutting out or after the bear is made up.)
I'm pretty sure that this whole topic was addressed in another thread about 6 months ago....

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I've found a light mist of water (misting bottle) and a hairdryer works very well for taming "odd spots", while not loosing the wonderful overall finishes that many mohairs have.  Now if it only worked as well for MY cowlick!   Cowlicks add character  bear_grin

:hug:
~Chrissi

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Thank you Bobbie and Chrissi!

You're right Bobbie, there is another topic about this, but it's mohair based: I'm using synthetics for the first time and haven't a cule about how to treat them!

I'm going to try the iron thing as well: unfortunately the creature is already made, and it's just one section that has to change, so it's a little harder to maneuver!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Chloe,

I've given some synthetics a soak in warm water and fabric softener to make them more manageable--sometimes the undercoat is a bit tangled.

I've also used this method to help change the direction of the fur--I just combed the piece gently in the other direction and let it air dry.

This wouldn't work on a finished specimen, of course, but it's great when you don't have enough fur going in the right direction to cut all your pieces!

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Thanks Eileen! Definitely something to consider for my next try!

kallie214 Friends "Fur" Life Bears
Gig Harbor, WA.
Website

I only work in mohair, but I just use a spray bottle with plain ol' water in it, brush it the way I want it, let it dry. Once it is dry, I re-brush it to fluff it back up and it stays in place.
I dont know if this will help you at all, but i would be a little concerned about using any "products" on my bear.

Bear hugs,

Kim

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

I've always just used a steamer.  But last summer at Expo, I had noticed some artist bears having fabulous, perfect "dos."  So I asked  couple of artists and they said they used a hairspray that didn't leave a residue.  I never got around to finding out exactly what brand they used though.

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Maybe a hairspray would do it... I'm worried about it dissolving the acrylic fibres though: I'll have to try it on some scrap and let you all know bear_original

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I wouldn't use anything at all on synthetics. We  sometimes use synthetic hair wefts in the salon and though sprays won't do any harm to the actual material it doesn't do it any good. It does not hold it in place very well and makes it feel sticky...that's why I won't style synthetic fur. I just make sure that the pile goes in the right direction on each piece.
As far as mohair goes I don't see why hairspray should be a problem..it brushes out of hair readily and prevents heat damage.  I blow dry waves out using a hairdryer and a comb. If done properly it does not damage the hair. I sometimes use a styling spray to straighten with because water often does not sit on the pile without seeping onto the backing...I don't belive that this will damage the mohair pile...it will brush out. I use Aveda plant based products...I can't see why they would cause problems...they're 100% natural.

Board footer