Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

I know that the next stage from roving is to spin it and you then get your wool for knitting.
Is this possible to do without a spinning wheel ???? I have a customer asking me if she can order some of a green roving I sell- so she only needs a little.

At the moment , and I want to try it, is that knitters here in SA, are knitting a project- mainly hand bags , holders for glasses/spectacles, then washing it in the washing machine at a high temp, but not letting it go thru the spin cycle.
This felts up and then they decorate whatever they have created with silk ribbon , beads you name it.

Thanks
Lynette

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

I think, people use a drop spindle to spin without a wheel. I haven't done any spinning myself though, yet, so no personal experience. There are good resources on the web though.

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Lynette,
I have a spinning wheel & drop spindles & have spun rovings into yarn many times. I have also seen where some use the thin "Pencil Roving" without spinning it & just knit with it that way for wet felting projects like you mentioned.
If I can find it, I have a picture of a purse I made from wool roving I spun & knitted & wet felted, Then decorated with needle felted flowers.
Hope this helps. It is a lot of fun to do!
pursefelted.jpg

Hugs &

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Thanks Charlotte.
I asked the Ashford spinning company if they had the drop spindles- Charlotte can you post a picture ??? I have no idea or imagination how it works,
thanks
Lynette

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

That's a gorgeous purse Charlotte!  Please explain more about the drop spindle.  I have plenty of roving and I can crochet.  It sounds interesting...

puca bears puca bears

Hiya
I used to do a lot of spinning, both wheel and drop spindle....I've been trying to find a pic of a drop spindle, but no luck.....there's bound to be info somewhere in cyberland
all I would say, is that it is slow! Basically it is a long spindle, threaded perpendicularly thru' a circular   disc (if you can visualise that) . Wool is wound round the spindle, above the disc, then the end of the wool goes down and round the spindle, under the disc, then up and is "hitched" at the top of the spindle - you hang onto the free end of the wool, spin the spindle, which imparts a twist to the end of the wool, and then catch the end of the roving or rolag - it gets pulled in.....the skill is in controlling the "feed". Obviously, the spindle can only drop so far - then you stop, unhitch the wool,  wind the new bit on, and start again.
Much easier to demonstrate than describe! It DOES work - I spun enough to make a sweater.... alas, my drop spindle (hand made!) got chewed up years ago by one or other puppy.
huggies
Maria

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

mmm, I can get one from Ashford's, so going to give it a bash- between the bear making , living, gardening and dance lessons bear_rolleyes  bear_rolleyes  bear_rolleyes

Lynette

Adkins, Texas

I just found a link to a site with a video on how to use a drop spindle.
http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/HowToDropspin.shtml

Hugs &

Adkins, Texas

Another wonderful use for hand spun wool yarn from rovings is to knit or crochet sweaters etc for  bears. I made a knitted sweater & shorts for this little needle felted guy.trolla.jpg

Hugs &

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Oh Charlotte, what  mad teddy bear people we are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Always busy with trying and experimenting- thanks for all your tips

Lynette

Adkins, Texas

bear_whistle  bear_wacko  bear_rolleyes For sure Lynette bear_rolleyes  bear_wacko  bear_whistle
You are most welcome!!!

Hugs &

Adkins, Texas

spun-wool-e007e.jpgOK Lynette, you got me going...lol I got out my spinning wheel & some Raspberry wool roving, and look what I have now bear_wub

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

bear_wub
That looks good enough to eat.

Adkins, Texas

Hey Bronwen!!!
Might need a lot of fluid to wash it down though...lol...pretty fuzzy!!! Hey...how bout raspberry wine? bear_grin

Hugs &

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

That looks pretty good Charlotte !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynette

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

I want to see what you make with it.  It is just gogreous.  And hey raspberry wine sounds ok too.  bear_thumb  bear_grin

Adkins, Texas

Thanks Lynette!!!

I will post a picture when I complete my project Bronwen bear_grin

Hugs &

Board footer