Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Irene Irenours-bears
France

I wonder if someone has already used Paypal at fairs. To pay or to be pay for a purchase?

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

would it just be a case of taking a laptop with you for customers to use...then you check to see if it went through???all on the spot...sorry i dont even do shows...he he ...im just curious how it would work bear_grin

K Pawz Guest

Thats exactly what I plan to give a try for the upcoming Calgary Bear Show....I will be bringing the laptop... I am hoping that if I just send an invoice to their email address, they log in after I log out, and then pay the invoice all should be fine...the only problem I can see is if someone doesn't have an account but it isn't too hard to set one up there on the spot and pay with a credit card...fingers crossed, I will let you all know how it works out.

Hugs,
Krista

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

SUPER GREAT IDEA!!!  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Between listings, web site updates, blog updates, forums bear_whistle , photo time, and all of the other stuff (supply shopping, emails, paying bills etc) that I do online the hub is actually sending me links for wireless laptops so that he can get on our PC once in a while.  It's so funny....he's highlighting the emails "you can use this anywhere in the house" (like he had to "sell" me on it!)   
SO I thought about having a wireless laptop at a show and using paypal too....but then I thought about security issues.  Would I, myself, plug my password into a PC that I was unfamiliar with?? What security features does the owner use and what if it becomes compromised?  I'm not sure how PCs store that stuff...or if they do store it......those were my thoughts when doing my "pro/con" list in my head.  I'd LOVE to use it over a CC service, but I'm still unsure about those things I mentioned.   

Anyone else considered using or used it already??
:hug:
~Chrissi

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I think I'd probably feel like you Chrissi. While travelling I won't access my banking, etc. online cause I'm worried about my passwords.

Marion

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

I'm not 100% sure of this but I remember someone mentioning to me at Hugglets last year that they paid for a bear via Paypal using their mobile phone!! I'm assuming that you sign up for text alerts from Paypal and when an invoice is sent to you, you can then pay via your mobile (entering a password I'd assume). It sounded odd at the time but it wouldn't surprise me if it were true!

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Gemma, friends of mine have mobiles that they can access their email and send emails from . There are now mobiles that can access the internet. They are basicly a laptop phone in miniature. TRUE!

Irene Irenours-bears
France

My hubby wanted to buy me a laptop, but i first said no, because as i told him, i will not really use it. Then i began to wonder if i can bring one at fairs and use Paypal paiement? I don't see the difference using another person computer because i think that the security process does come from Paypal anyway. I don't have much skills in computer things and i may be wrong. I will exhibit at a swiss fair where they don't work with euros. I know that if customers pay by cheques, it will cost me money later to change swiss money in euros. I asked my bank for a credit card payment machine, but it's really expensive. Krista, please let us know if it worked for you and how you've proceed.

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

One thing that helps you out when doing online transactions is SSL. If the web address you are doing the transaction at begins with httpS then it is encrypted and should be safe. So when ever you are logging into paypal no matter what computer you are on, it is encrypted and cannot be read by the computer. IF you are on a public computet though, I would always empty the cache and delete the history before you sign off.

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

How did those Paypal payments go at Calgary??

JAC-Q-LYN Jac-Q-Lyn
Cheshire

Hi Chrissi

I agree with you, security is a touchy subject.  I would not put my loggin details onto someone's laptop, even though they perhaps turn away, sometimes your details come up on the next loggin if you are not careful.  I found out last Feb at Hugglets that my chip and pin card machine would not receive satelite signal as I was in the basement and the signal strength was no good, so had to keep running upstairs to take a card payment, kept us fit so wireless would be a good option in those circumstances, but still too risky..to be fair its the customers security we have to look out for, not just the fact of taking a payment.  I really do think there is no way around it that credit card transactions are best at shows for both parties.  If it is a problem to accept card payments, apparently in this country the Market Traders Association offer really good deals to people wanting to take credit cards, plus the have other deals available like public liability.

Hugs
Jacqui

Board footer