Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I noticed in my baggie of 5/8 joint there is no washer. But I read you should always use a washer so the pin doesn't make a crater in the disk from movement. My 5/8 is for my arm and I would think that would require a washer, no? I could see where you wouldn't use a washer if your bear was like four inches because there wouldn't be any room. But my bear will be 8-10 inches when complete. I am thinking that is worthy of a washer.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

If you're using cotter pins, Jennifer - yes, a washer would be needed.  You wouldn't need one with nut/bolt jointing if you used stop nuts.  Be sure to show us photos of your finished creation.

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website
SueAnn wrote:

Be sure to show us photos of your finished creation.

Most definitely!

I wonder why Intercal doesn't sell the washers with that particular size of joint set? I got washers on all the other sizes I ordered, even the one inch cotter pin set. Washers came with the stop nut/bolt set. So you're saying I don't need washers with the stop nut set?

(what would I do without this board?)  bear_wub

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

It sounds like you are using cotter pins so a washer is a necessity! Otherwise the head of the pin will eventually go right through the hole in the disc. I've had this happen just while rolling the ends of the pin over!

Take the pin with you to your local hardware store and get the size washer you need.  bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Yes..... you should always use washers! If your bears are meant to last for generations the discs are just hardboard and the head of the bolt or the loc nut can wear it down causing your bear's joints to become very loose and the bear won't sit up or hold a position. Not a good thing. bear_noexpression

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

Thanks Daphne, that's what I was thinking...washers are a good thing...always. Maybe Intercal just doesn't think a 5/8 warrants a washer? But I will use them.

I am using cotter pin on limbs and nut/bolt on head.

lulubears Posts: 280

Am I reading this right?  You are using a 5/8" disk for a bear that will be 8" - 10" when finished.  That just seems like a really small disk for that size bear.  Then again, I don't know what the finished bear looks like.  Will it have real thin arms/legs?

If I'm using T-pins, you can probably get away without using washers. 

Luann

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

I was thinking the same thing Jennifer.  5/8's of an inch is really small for a 10 inch bear.  He would have to have reeeeaaallllly skinny arms for that to work.  Maybe the washer is 5/8's?

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I looked back at Intercal's disk/hardware supply page and they don't have washers for disks with a 1/16th inch hole diameter . . . only for 1/8th inch.  The 5/8" disk comes with the 1/16th" hole.

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

Yes, it has skinny arms. I drew the pattern so it would fit on a 12x12 piece of mohair. (I know, that sounds so cheap, but I wanted to make sure I was going to like doing this before I bought a huge piece). Next go-around I am making fatter arms. Turning those buggers was a pain. Good thing I had locking hemostats. But the 5/8 disks fit snugly in the arms. I think the bear is going to be right under 8 inches standing.

BTW, I did find washers, cotter pins and lock nuts at Home Depot, the same size I got from Intercal. So next time I can get my stuff at Home Depot with the exception of the disks.

The disks for the legs are 1" so I went a bit bigger there.

P.S. I've already made notes of things I will and won't do on the next bear.

Board footer