Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

White-purples--rubino.jpgTidal-Pools.jpgRaku-orphans-bracelet.jpgWell, one of the things I have been doing lately is "Lampworking", or glass beadmaking - where you melt glass with a torch onto a welding rod and make beads (short version).  I am finding it hard to find the time for both the glass and the bears - there are just not enough hours in one day!  However, I am not at the stage in the lampworking where I can begin to sell, so if I don't make bears, then I don't get any income - besides, I don't want to quit making bears!
Anyway, here aare a few of my lampworking attempts.

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

they look very interesting.... however not something for me to try. My husband would be a wreck seeing me handle a torch!

Marion

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Those are very lovely, Jane!  I think Shelli may have run into the same dilemma - she was hooked on making beads, too, and I don't see how either of you find time for all the artsy things you do.  Oh, I know what it is . . . you girls are waaaaay younger.

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

They are lovely Jane-really pretty bear_flower
Laurie :hug:

No, SueAnn, I am not a whole lot younger than you!  I know I'm one of the "seniors" here!  I just don't do any housework, and meals are a hit and miss affair in this house.  Fortunately, my husband always says "lets have a sandwich" for supper - got to love that man!

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

Those are gorgeous. Have you ever thought of making custom bear eyes?

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

They're fantastic Jane!  Love the blues and greens...reminds me of sea glass and the swirling ocean bear_wub  Can't wait til you begin to sell!  I prefer artisan pieces over store bought any day of the week.  Your customers are then your walking/talking billboards every time they get a compliment on the piece they're wearing.
Keep us posted!!  bear_flower

:hug:
~Chrissi

kallie214 Friends "Fur" Life Bears
Gig Harbor, WA.
Website

Oh Jane...those are BEAUTIFUL!!!  I think you have done a fabulous job.
My son took a class on beadmaking and he has been trying to talk me into trying it. He said it was really fun and the beads he made were great! Like you, I just dont know how I would juggle it all

*laughing*  You got yourself quite a man there Jane...can I borrow him to train my hubby?

I cant wait to see more of your beads!!!

Bear Hugs,

Kim

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Jane they are stunning well done

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Jane!!!!  Those are absolutely breathtaking!!!!  Yes, do let us know when you think that you've gotten to the point that they are sellable... i don't wear much jewelery myself, but I have a few girlfriends and collector friends who are gaga for lampworked beads.  I'm not a bead expert... but those look gorgeous to me!  :hug:  bear_thumb 

Could you please come "train" my hubby... he still thinks that if it can't be carved, it isn't really dinner!   bear_ermm   You've got a gem of a husband!

Kim Basta

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

they're pretty, Jane.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Wow, I think they're great and you could totally sell them!!! Or put them on your bears for next years show! (hint hint)  :crackup:

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Wow, Jane they are stunning - I can't imagine anything better - I'm sure you could selll those!!!! Not that I want you quit making bears though!!!  bear_grin
I agree - you are most fortunate with your husband - "sandwich" and "dinner" don't even go in the same sentence in my husbands books!  :crackup:

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

They are gorgeous and I am so jealous i am trying to find someone to teach me around where I live.

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Jane, your beads are gorgeous!! I am sure that making them could become very addictive, the possibilities would be endless.

Thanks for your compliments everyone - I am trying to organize my days so that I get to "torch" at least once a week, and then on weekends.  Teddy making the rest of the time.

Yes, I am very lucky that my husband is so relaxed and so supportive - however it took me THREE tries to find the right husband!! :crackup:

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Just beautiful !!! So pretty !!! Very creative !!!!

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

I just saw your coment on the 3 rd husband !!! :crackup:  I guess there is hope for me !!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Love 'em, Jane!  You've gotten really good.  I like your bracelet/necklace compositions, too, and the raku set.  It does take a lot of practice, though, doesn't it?  I haven't torched in months.  You've maybe inspired me to get back to it.  AARGH!

bear_original

Go for it Shelli - I figure if I allow myself a certain amount of time, and make sure that I keep up with my teddy "obligations" (not that it seems like work at all - I love making teddies), then I can hopefully satisfy both creative urges.  However, I must admit, that some days I wish I had never gone to that craft fair last November and seen all the lovely beads.  I wish each day had about 40 hours in it - and I had the energy to survive those days!

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

I've ben thinking of combining the two loves I have bears and jewellery.  Why not.  Something different.

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Those are cool, I love lampwork beads, esp earrings.
I have a rather large collection!!
Let me know when you start selling  bear_grin

Bronwen, if you get the opportunity to take a class, I would definately recommend it.  However, be warned that it is addictive, and also quite expensive, what with the torch, oxygen, (all the hoses and regulators required for these), the glass, the various tools, ventilation system - it just goes on and on ....  and it can be very frustrating learning how to make a simple "round" bead. It sure is fun though!

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Jane they are lovely. You are a multi talented lady to make not only bears but beautiful jewellery.

Hugs Jane.  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

Wow that's brilliant Jane, you have a real talent there, what beautiful jewelry.   It is a pity we have to sleep at night as there would be so many more hours to play!!

Warm wishes
Pauline

Board footer