Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I had a great spring and early summer, then things came to a screeching halt late summer. But I know some of y'all are still selling your bears like hotcakes. In the spring I was having lots of watchers and bids. I just had an auction end with no bids and 2 watchers.  :redface: But I know if everybody else is like me, we are squeezed right now with buying all the back to school stuff and high energy costs. Just curious.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

I know I am squeezed with back to school expenses! bear_wacko
But I think things just ebb and flow.  And the ebb and flow is different for different artists. Some who are selling now may have not been for a few months before. I just had great sales and orders too from a show last weekend, but it's been forever since I've listed an auction.
Your bears will sell fast again because they are so adorable and they have a simple charm which is unique and and at the same time universally appealing (I think, they do anyway!) bear_wub

K Pawz Guest

Yup!! I too have noticed a decrease, but fingers crossed it picks up again in the fall....I have gone from around 40 watchers on an auction to around 20, so definetley down there....although I wasn't listing consistenly either as I was getting ready for the show, so that could be why too....Don't worry your little ones are adorable, and will be selling like hotcakes again soon, once everyone is back to school and home from vacations.

Hugs,
Krista

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Jennifer,
     Ebay always slows down in the summer! It should pick up again in the fall.

hugs,

Brenda

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

What Brenda said.  I usually don't even try to sell much in the summer after figuring that out, either taking the summer off, or working on contest pieces or other projects.  Things get super-hot as school reopens, Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas approach, and a winter-y, then spring-y, mood returns.   I think the best time to sell in summer is just before July 4th, and then it's just kinda a rough time for most bearmakers, if what I've been reading here for years, and experiencing myself, is any indication.

Doesn't mean, of course, that you can't sell, or that nobody sells.  It's just that, if some is going to write, "Are sales slow?", that tends to crop ulp more when the weather's super hot and there are no holidays in sight!

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Jennifer, I've been finding things pretty slow on ebay as well. My sales have really dropped off. I've got two listed there with no bids right now although they both have had lots of lookers and around 17 - 20 watchers (which I find doesn't necessarily translate to bidders!) These are the first I've listed since early June but I wasn't having much luck back in the spring either - so I don't know what the answer is! I just did my first bear show in 5 years and did very well at it but it tis the only show that is close enough for me to do, so doing more shows isn't the answer.  I have a golly and teddy set on bid4bears that I just listed yesterday and it has 4 bids already - although it does have a ways to go to meet the reserve, so maybe I'll try listing more there - at least it isn't as expensive as ebay if they don't sell, but is still keeping your work out there!
It does make you wonder if it is just ebay - a slow time, too many artist bears listed -  or if it is just your own bears doesn't it! I was hoping to keep making bears for another year at least so I think I will have to maybe spend some time doing some new designing and see if I can come up with something exciting - perhaps my bears are seeming too repetitive and humdrum! Best we just keep plugging away I think!

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

Thanks everyone. I feel a bit better now. Hopefully things will pick up in the fall!

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Jennifer! You are not alone my Dear! Ebay has been my best friend and my worst enemy all at the same time. I always feel heart ache when listing and each time I vow Never Again. But like all of us I do and again I feel disappointment.

I must say we are lucky to have a very devoted mailing list but it has taken some time to establish. I can always count on them. But from time to time we list on Ebay to keep our name around. I feel your pain Hun but don't give a second thought to it. Your bears and critters are unique and sooo wonderful!

I have noticed very big sellers on Ebay are taking much lower bids than they are used to. I think it is the norm right now for everyone. Don't give it another thought!

Hugs Louise

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Just keep thinking happy thoughts !!!! bear_grin

Board footer