Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

snowbear_RESZ.jpgsnowbearUD_RESZ.tifsnowhite1.jpgI have sometimes struggled when it comes to this topic of dressed vs undressed bears. 

My goal has always been to create a bear that is appleaing naked (with his fur of course).  I like bears to look natural...on the other hand, I have been very drawn to dressed bears.  The reason...hhhmmmmm I think it is because clothes humanize a bear.  They look like children in clothes and that is very endearing.

I do think a great bear should be able to capture the heart of a human without clothes ...first...then add the icing.  What do you think?

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I vote for undressed because I cant make bear clothing (yet) bear_original

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Now that I think about it, all of the artist bears I own are undressed... they may have a hat or collar but not fully clothed. 

Judi - I love that bear:love: and those adorable bunnies! Are your bunnies jointed as well?

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Kim, The bear is called "Snow Bear and the Seven Dwarf Hares".  The bunnies are heaviely weighted but not jointed.  I still can't decide if I like this bear dressed or undressed.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Judi although she is beautful "bare" I just love her dressed!

I've always collected "bare" bears... but have started adding some dressed bears to my collection (and started making them too)

If I was buying a dressed bear I would also love to be able to see a "bare" photo too  -- or at least one without a hat if the bear is wearing a hat!  (just realized my 2 dressed bears were not photographed "bare"  :doh: .

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Dressed! Dressed!  She is gorgeous! I wish I could make a bear that was dressed! Those bunns are sooo cute!

Bunnies, not rear ends LOL

I think she is my favorite bear of yours Judi - she is gorgeous!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Good point, LL, If I would buy a dressed bear, I would like the option to take the outfit off and  would like to see what the bear looks like unclothed.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Maybe if I am around her enough, some of her many talents will rub off!!!!

yosemitebearworks Oakhurst, CA
Website

Judy,

I have spent a lot of time thinking about this issue, too.  When I first started making bears, they were mostly undressed.  Then gradually, I began dressing more and more of them.  I absolutely love undressed bears -- and some of my favorite artist bears are undressed.  But I think for me the thing is that I always want to tell a story with each bear.  Dressing becomes a way of bringing them to life --( they are on the way to bed, they are a character in a nursery rhyme, etc).  I don't know why, but I just have more "fun" taking them this extra step.  As a bear maker who sells her creations, this is often not a very economical way of working, as I often spend more time making their clothes and finding just the right accesories as I do making the bear itself.  But, as this is what gives me the most pleasure, that's what I do.  :rolleyes:

By the way -- your set is absolutely FABULOUS.  The bunnies are adorable!!!

Hugs, Donna

Pipa UK

Dressed !!!!  bear_laugh

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Judy dear, I think your bears could be furless and they'd still be absolutely spectacular.

I lover her both ways...

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Donna, I think yoru bears are amazing with there adorable clothes and costumes. I love it when a bear tells a story.  I also love  bear_wub antique beaten-up old bears in vintage dresses.

Making clothes , I find, is so time consuming.  I would most likely never do another Snow Bear as pictured.  That dress was not easy at all.

LL I have not seen any dressed bears of yours.  Do share :pray:

Kim, you should try the clothes sometimes.  They are like little people.  Women especially are drawn to children.  This has been studied in advertising.  When an advertiser wants to capture the attention of a man they use a pretty woman (oink), but when they want to capture the attention of a woman they use babies and children...aaaaahhhhhh (anti-oink)
Interesting eh?

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Shantell bear_wub  You're a sweetie .  You all are bear_wub bear_wub bear_smile bear_smile

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Hi Judi... I like the dressed set...because your dressing is very clever...and the bunnies are the icing on the cake. Don't take this wrong, but she looks like a girl in her clothes...but naked ..it's a boy...for me anyway...but then I often think a bear looks boyish till I put clothes on them.

I started making beary clothes a while ago....though I don't love all the preparation and work that goes into making the clothes...I do love the effect they give. I also find that the dressed bears in simple little outfits are appealing to collectors.

I love thinking of new colour schemes and little characters...it's fun to find little bits and pieces to accessorise them too. 

When I think about it I suppose I love the bare bears... but I like the dressed bears more.

Jenny

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Donna, your dressed bears are spectacular.  I still remember your Frog Prince displayed at the Nevada City show in, I think, 2004...?  Fabulous.   Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous.  Your dressed work is divine, and all that attention to detail (econimical or otherwise!) really shows.

I also like taking that "extra step" on occasion with a bear, going above and beyond with a costume or concept.  When I'm really inspired to do so, it makes that bear all that much more special.  If I'm not inspired, though... ah, the drudgery.  It really takes a fire lit under me to get me to commit that strongly to the long process of fully dressing a bear.  My one totally dressed bear, CLAIRE, just about killed me.  I made all her clothes myself, which was torture, because I'm not much of a seamstress, and it was like reinventing the wheel to figure out how to make this simple top and bottoms.  But to date, she's still one of my favorite pieces.  This is her:

claire_side_view_monkey_left_web.jpg

Judi... your bear is remarkable no matter how you present it, but the feminine sweetness of it when dressed in that marvellously detailed costume, with all those cute little white bunnies scampering all about, just takes it beyond remarkable into the realm of, "Man, how on earth did she do that?"  Which is no small feat.  For this bear in particular, I vote for "dressed" as well.

JanetandBears Janet Ann Anderson and Bears
Breckenridge, CO
Website

I love both dressed and undressed bears and some times think a beautiful fur should not be covered up.  BUT, I do create mostly dressed bears as I love to tell a story as has been mentioned and also because of my background.  I have a BS in Textiles and Clothing and an MS in Historical Costume  so I have this tremedous love of fibers, fabrics, colors, clothing design, etc. Also, I started out as a cloth doll maker so of course dressed them.   I also love detail and all kinds of needlework and so naturally incorporate this in my bears.  For me becasue of all this ...  dressed bears are the only way to go.   I do make a rare undressed bear though. 
     This weekend for the Lincoln City, OR show I made 10 the convention bear and these guys have just a tye and an accessory.    Better get packing....... Janet

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Jenny, I love your avatar bear with his darling outfit.  I would like to knit some liek that.  I do like making knitted clothes more than sewing them.  Even though it takes longer.  Sewing clothes isn't as much fun as sewing a bear istself.

I too think my bear looks like a boy undressed.  I wonder if it is a mind set I have.  It is rude to see a girly bear withoput clothes...but it is okay for a boy.  Hey, did you all know that Daisy Duck was banned in one of the eastern States because she is bottomless!!!!  She does have feathers...don't they count??!!!  :doh:

Shelli, this is the first dressed bear I have seen of yours.  She is absolutely gorgeous! :clap: :clap: bear_wub bear_smile  All of your are. DId you make the wooden monkey?  He is so cool!  Have you ever made an ugly bear?

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

The little monkey is a vintage piece, a thrift store find.  He has elastic joints and is a silly little thing.  I almost hated selling him but he looked just too perfect with this particular bear.  She's also wearing vintage finds; green glass bead necklace, and an old peach enamel flower earring at the center of her ear-placed bow.  I love shopping for vintage items in the many antique and second-hand shops we have up here in Chico and surrounding areas.  That's part of the fun for me.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Judi wrote:

LL I have not seen any dressed bears of yours.  Do share :pray:

Thanks Judi! 

Here they are..
avery-lynn-tn.jpg sabrina-tn.jpg

And I agree!  Shelli & Jenny, your dressed bears are adorable!

Off to finish my Teddy for CHarity... just bearly made it... bear_tongue

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Thank you!  bear_original

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Oh you guys are just all amazing! Judi I love the bear dressed and Shelli your baby bear is magnificent. Laura lynn.....you know how I feel about your bears! Janet you have the most wonderful clothes for you bears. All of you ladies are simply amazing amazing artists!!!

Many Hugs Louise

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Talking of thrift store finds...I found a shrunken old scarf in a charity shop ...my daughter asked what on earth was I buying it for...but it's mohair and very over-washed...but the most lovely bright coloured tartan...so I came home and squeezed at little bonfire night jacket out of it..not bad for 50p...

When the bear is done I'll post a picture ...I'm really pleased with it....it's really funky!!!

Jenny

clare14 Country Bears
England

Shelli wrote:

My one totally dressed bear, CLAIRE, just about killed me.

Ahh but Shelli what a great name!!  bear_happy   no seriously she is beautiful, you shouldn't have designed her around me, NO NO REALLY SERIOUSLY THIS TIME, she IS beautiful bear_original  You never fail to amaze me and that hard work was worth it.

Judi, you too, I am in awe of your artistry, and I love your bear dressed and undressed!   I have a soft spot for dressed bears, NOT that I can make clothes at all, in fact it's amazing where my bears come from really, I've no sewing skills, I just get by :D

Jenny I can't wait to see that bear!!  And Laura those are so cute, what a great idea, Hallowe'en!!  FAB!!

bear_wub  to all

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I love seeing your guys dressed bears! I'm just at the stage where I'm going to try and dive into making some myself. I've never made any clothes before.
But I have to admit I'm torn on the dressed bears. I think on one hand, it's a shame to hid good mohair, but Judy, the way you can sew those clothes, why not dress them!!
Same with Shelli and LL. I love your bears naked, but now I see them with clothes, I also love them that way. Tough choice.
Heather

Dilu Posts: 8,574

either way you provacative lady....I say this because I can see the time when the hubster will say but you already have 22 artist bears.....how many nuances do you need to collect?

I like to think ahead. and have my arguments ready to go.  :D

Over my sink I have the Vermont Teddy bear in the straight jacket hanging on the pot rack.  Around his neck I hung the keys and whistle and hand cuff keys left over from my tenure at Cedar Vista Psychiatric Services.  I think it says alot about the persons who live here.   :lol:

( It might also keep certain naughty gollies in line-but not by much.)

My beloved Cozy just has the little muffler, which is the perfect touch.

Ben Frankly needs his vest and tricorn hat.....he already has his copy of the consititution....
Right now he sits on the floor with just his fancy little shirt on. So he has this unfinished look about him.

But many of the other bears are in all their glorious nekid splendor. 

Now gollies just look lacivious running around nekid and they yammer insesitantly until they get new clothes  :rolleyes:

bear_tongue

Board footer