Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

A month ago I was contacted by a local daycare asking if I would come do a little presentation on bear making for the kids ( 15, I think ages 5-10).  I hate public speaking (I can handle the kids, it's the adults that will be watching that make me nervous) , but it was 9am and I was barely awake so I said , "Sure !".    bear_whistle   But, I remember Daphne challenging us to do something to promote the industry so here goes. 

Well, tomorrow is the day and I've spent all day preparing.  I am getting excited actually and plan to make it very interactive.  I have  lots of mohair, real fur and bears for the kids to touch.  I even stitched  a faux fur bear together and will let the kids help me attach the limbs, safety eyes, add stuffing etc.  Then, I'll finish at home and give it to the kids to keep later.  Oh, and of course I am taking treats.......Bear Paw cookies of course.  I'll let you know how it goes.

cjsmum Happy Little Souls
Sydney

Good Luck Tammy,

Sounds like you've got it all sorted, great idea with the different furs and cookies- I'm sure they'll have heaps of fun- don't be nervous you'll be great!

Mel

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

How fun and GOOD FOR YOU and thanks on behalf of bearmakers everywhere who will appreciate your networking and goodwill.

I hope someone will take a few pics that land in your lap and you can post here.

Have a great time; it will probably flow beautifully since it's a subject you know and love!

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Thanks ! My daughter(11)  is coming to help/watch.  My son is too old (13) to be seen with me  bear_happy  I can always bribe the kids with the cookies if they get out of hand  bear_grin

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow - I'd love to be there myself!  I know you will be terrific, Tammy!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh, how exciting!!! You'll do great, I'm sure! And your daughter will be a great help! Wish I could be there too!

And ditto Shelli.... THANK YOU!!!!  bear_original

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Good for you Tammy! I'm sure it will go great - sure sounds like you've got it all planned out and I think the kids will love it!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Tammy what a very cool thing you are doing!  I've found when I'm speaking on a passion of mine.. it's MUCH easier!  Sounds like you have a good plan - looking forward to hearing how it goes  :hug:

Strike A Paw Posts: 535

Good Luck Tammy!  That sounds very exciting.  I know you'll do well and the kids will just love you and the bears.

Hugs,

Julie

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Good luck Tammy, it sounds like you are well prepared and I am sure that you and the kids will all have a great time.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Good luck Tammy, you will be great  bear_thumb - sounds like fun and you may be talking to the next bear makers and collectors.

Hugs
Carolyn
:hug:  bear_flower  :hug:

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Have fun Tammy I am sure you will do well, it is good that you will have your daughter with you to help or maybe take a few pics bear_whistle  bear_whistle

baggaley bears Baggaley Bears
UK ( nottinghamshire )
Website

Good lucky Tammy, i am sure you will come back and tell us all how much fun you and the kids had. What a lovely thing to do  :hug:  :hug:

Hugs
Vicki

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

That would be awesome!  and I help run a daycare.

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Well, I just got home from the demo.  Sheesh, those kids wore me out.  I re-affirmed 2 things....1) I feel so blessed that I can be an at-home-mom for my kids.   2) I have great respect for those who care for others' kids.   When I first arrived a 6 year old fell backwards off his chair, smacked his head on the floor and shins on the table.  Poor guy, luckily though they had a teddy bear ice pack  bear_thumb

I'm not sure how the demo went, the kids were a bit hyper and chatty (about 20 of them in a small room), it was very warm and the boys had great fun literally throwing around my mohair samples and bears.  I know they are bored and sooo ready to go back to school next week.  I have no problems letting the kids touch my things, that's how they learn and afterall, they are only "things".  But, a little respect was in order.  I think overall they really enjoyed seeing/touching  the tools, bears and supplies.     And, I know you really can never tell how much they actually learn and retain.  I do know the teachers enjoyed the demo as one is a teddy bear lover.

I was a bit disappointed as I was told initially I had unlimited time for the demo- well , within reason these are kids with short attention spans I know. Then 20 minutes into the demo I found out the next guest was waiting to start- a police officer.....sheesh couldn't keep her waiting now could I  bear_whistle .  I was just about to get the kids to help assemble a bear and had to rush through that in 2 minutes.  I think I tried to cover too much.  But, it was a great learning experience for both me and the kids and I know what to do differently and the same for another time.   I did leave them with a poster I made with different real fur and mohair samples which they like, TBF magazine and will take the completed bear back for them to keep.   Oh, and I didn't even get time to tell them about the treats I brought.  I had to leave them with the teacher, but they can enjoy that later today.

Oh, and the very first question was ..............." Are you from Build a Bear ?"  bear_happy 

I think I need a nap now  bear_grin

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

:hug: So glad that the talk went well!  I did a little bear talk at my daughter's Kindergarten career day a couple of years ago... SO fun... but you are right, completely exhausting!  One of the kids asked me if I slept with a teddy bear or if I HAD to sleep with my husband!  I just about DIED!   :redface:  bear_whistle

Good for you! :hug:

Kim Basta

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Kim , I remember that !  I also remember you talking about taking mohair sample to let the kids see and touch.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower  to you, Tammy!  Sounds like you did a super job!

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Like I said before teaching in a daycare is no easy task!   Sometimes I come home looking like this! bear_wacko  bear_wacko   I've been doing it for 16 years though.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

wow, sounds great Tammy! I hope I get to see some pics. I love your idea about the faux fur bear and bringing it back to let the kids keep it.

Let us know how it went!

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Hi Tammy, sounds like you did great, bet the kids enjoyed it!  Good for you! bear_flower

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Hey Tammy bear_original  So glad you did it bear_original  even if it was a little rushed etc, you've opened those kids up to a new world...you'd be surprised how many mums don't do any craft at all...my sister brings her kids buttons and school clothes name tags to sew on lol.  Well done for putting yourself out there and giving the kids something :hug:  :hug:

Board footer