Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

... the UK!

Autumntress.jpg

We're having a beautiful Autumn here in the UK, now that the rain has finally stopped!  I took these pics yesterday for my blog and it made me think, do you have any photos you'd like to share showing Autumn where you are?  It's such a beautiful time of year and so inspirational for bear making, we should celebrate it!  So, if you have anything autumnal to share, landscapes, bears, celebrations, poems, whatever, please add them to this thread ...

Autumnleaves.jpg

Lake2.jpg

Lake3.jpg

Lakeotherside.jpg

Sunlightthroughleaves.jpg

Underhorsechestnuttree.jpg

Stellajella Wien

Paula, your pix are so beautiful and impressive!!!
Well done!

Gaby bear_flower

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Thanks, Paula, for sharing your pictures of autumn. I would love to watch the colors change from season to season. Sadly, we don't have autumn in the desert.

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Gorgeous Pics Paula!!  I just did an entry yesterday on my blog about our day at the Pumpkin Festival!!  There are a TON of pics.
I LOVE the fall bear_wub  I feel so lucky to live in an area that really experiences all of the seasons, especially the fall change.

http://catherwoods.blogspot.com/

:hug:
~Chrissi

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Beautiful scenery, Paula and what a fun day you had, Chrissi!  Love all these pics!

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Wonderful pics Paula thanks for sharing

Kent
Website

I'm glad you all enjoyed the pics ... Ellen, are your's ready to share yet?  It would be fun to see the results of your mushroom search.  Chrissi, what a load of pumpkins ... I've never seen them like that before (I guess I thought they grew on trees or something  bear_grin ) great pics!!!

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I've forgotten the original thread Paula posted about the weather: here in the upper MidWest it's been either 90F or 40!!   So I'm combining "What's the view out your window?" and Autumn colors.

DH decided that today was the day to 'put the garden to bed for the winter' so most of these plantings have been cut down.... bare bones of shrubs and grasses. So please indulge me (and request seeds, Pls!) while I take you on a 2 minute walk around the house.

I am so proud of my DH, 2 years after having spinal fusions, and me with 2 new knees so I've been no help outside... he has maintained the yard as well as he could.

Perennials really help! Though all I see are weeds taking over!
As we Chicago Cubs fans say, "Just wait til next year!"

We have a long narrow yard with a long narrow house set over one side, so we have the best arangement on our block for front, side & back yard.

No lawn in the front, grass only as a twisting path down the center from front to back.

Front door yard:
11frontdor.jpg

Out my studio window towards the street:
01FT.jpg

Side Yard Far Edge:
02lar.jpg

Front to back side yard:
02awholeside.jpg

Walking back through the side yard:
03ser.jpg

At the back alongside the garage:
04gar.jpg

From the back window:
05gar.jpg

From the very back to the front:
09bak.jpg

Gazebo porch we built across the back of the house:
10gaz.jpg

Gazebo porch entrance:
12deck1.jpg

On the other side of the porch entry: Love-In-A-Puff vine. I have seeds for sending!!
13liap.jpg

The little 1.5" 'puffs' turn brown in the Fall and the seeds dry out; where the 3 seeds were attached inside forms a white heart against the black seed, hence their name!
14liap.jpg

Malabar Spinach vine - bloom stalks
15mal.jpg

Cucumbers still growing, but now several feet over my head!
16cuke.jpg

One of my fave statues, from DH - I looked just like this at 7 or 8, with a teddy!
17SorE.jpg

I've named her 'SusanOrEllen" as those are my 2 favorite names, good at all ages.
('Bobbie' is a bit too childish for a 65 yo!)
18SorE.jpg

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

What beautfiul pictures ladies.  Bobbie, that "Love-in-a-puff is just so cool and interesting.  I've never seen one before.

Kent
Website

Bobbie, your husband has done a beautiful job .. I love to garden myself and your garden has so many shrubs and interesting areas, it must take a heap of work to look after it!  I never heard of 'love-in-puff' ... aren't those seeds gorgeous!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Here's what I found in my garden this morning, in all the lovely sunshine....I just love all these colours...I can't believe the blackberries are still going strong....I ate the juiciest one then thought about photos!!!!

berriescopy.jpg

And the apples have had a bumper crop this year...they are usually all maggoty but this year we can't stop eating them

apples.jpg

Here's the Japanese maple in the sunshine...it's going orange now before the leaves start to wither...the other day it was a blaze of red

tree.jpg

This year the squirrels haven't managed to nab all the nuts on the hazel tree..so we have some for us

nuts.jpg

Kent
Website

Jenny, your photos are wonderful, a real taste of Autumn!

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

Beautiful pictures, my favorite time of year it's so pretty everywhere.

Paulaine

suburban Chicago

Jenny, how stunning - we have 3 of the same items in our gardens/yard: all but the hazelnuts, which are Don's favorites but not much grown here.
We have the same Japanese Maple variety in the front yrad, though it's marginal in our growing zone and it struggles. It's in the other half of out front yard than the one shown.
I took pix of our red raspberies as they are June- & fall-bearing... but our apples get stung every year and we use them more as ornamental (spring bloom) rather than for eating.

Don just saw your pix and said he'd be happy to take some off your hands!!!

One of our most prized possesions is a very old oak and iron apple press, more than 150 years old. We bought it from a Missouri farmer for $22.50; the parts were spread out in several barns and hens were using the pressing slatted baskets for nesting! It usually presses at least 2 gallons of juice from a bushel of apples. Our 2 youngest grandies want to use it this year so we'll drag it over from its basement corner and scrub it off. Good family times!!

I truly want to send seeds to anyone who would like them, so far only Tammy has taken the offer. We have both Love-in-a-Puff and Purple Hyacinth Bean seeds. Together they make a wonderful 'Study in Black & White' so we keeop them in a decorative jar on display. They are very easy to grow and bring the most unusua visual rewards to a garden. Being vines, they don't take up space, just need something to grow up on (they'll be from 8' to 15' tall depending on moisture and the size of their support.)

Love in a Puff - as we're in Zone 5, they will die over winter, we're about to pull down the vines and harvest the seeds. This site says Invasive, but it dies if frosts and freezes occur so it's not a problem (bad pix but they do show the plant)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/648/

Purple Hyacinth Bean - stunning - electric purple seed pods after pink & white sweet pea-like blooms
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q … ages&gbv=2

The computer room/Studio where I am now is the first window on the right in the 4th image. The house is a Chicago-Bungalow style; about 25' x 60' long, quite a small home by today's standards. But we'd rather spend more time outside than in!

Paula, I don't want you to give Don too much credit!! He weeds and trims in the past 3 years since his retirement, because he doesn't mind sweating in the heat & humidity!!
We started with just one garden swath 42 years ago (third image). With Don at work and me at home, I am the one who visualized all of these spaces - Don was my Implementer, the DIGGER!

If I had my way totally, the central grass swath would also go; I'd like a 'dry stream bed' to meander down through that central area. It takes Don about 5 mi utes to mow the 100 x 15' swath now; I'm trying to eliminate all grass!!!

I too love Fall best, Paulaine - I call this a Boticelli period: all of the plants are bountiously spilling out-of-bounds, at their most lucious best!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

We've had so much fruit this year it's just amazing. The apples are so big and sweet...and we have Bramley apples on the other tree..it's overwhelmed with them. ..I've never seen the nut tree with so many on it either. All the raspberries were ruined in the constant rain and so were the blackcurrants...I don't know why the blackcurrants were ruined..I'd have thought they would have enjoyed a good soaking....next year I think the trees will need a rest after the bounty they've produced this year.

Tynnateddy sault ste marie

I want some of those love Puffs too where can i buy them i have not seen them here ???? And gorgeous gardens too!!!!! :clap:

Stellajella Wien

Bobbie,
you have a gorgeous garden!  :clap:
Congrats to you and your hubby, because  can imagine, how much work that makes!!

Jenny, your pix are great! :clap:

Gaby bear_flower

Summer5 Pawssibles
Loon Lake, Saskatchewan

Gorgeous pictures.  I really enjoy seeing where everyone lives.   bear_thumb

suburban Chicago

Please send me your mailing address and I'll send you seeds.

For anyone in the southern hemisphere, now is the time to get them started. For us - going into Winter  - save them for next April/May.

Email your request to my addy:
rkr4cds@comcast.net

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Lovely pictures ... I love the colours of autumn ... but hey Paula, have you forgotten, it's spring down under!  bear_original

Board footer