Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

duff Deedle Bears
Dallas

It has been ages since I have been able to think about bears and decided it was time to go back and invest in myself and some well deserved down time.    I have been lurking for the last few months and completely inspired by everyone's felted bears.     I was desperately in need of inspiration and the only place I ever need to go is here!    I just can't tell you how much I love being able to come here and hear how everyone is doing and see the amazing creations.  It has taken me 2 months to get through all the old post and boy am I impressed.   

IT is amazing what has taken place over the last year + while I was away. So many new members and soooo many great bears  bear_wub 

I really want to thank Judi and Nancy for offering classes that are so easy to understand and so informative!  It was the kick in the behinney that I needed to find some inspiration.     And to Intercal for being so wonderful to do business with, Johnna your just wonderful to deal with.    bear_wub 

And to to Sophie my dear, I own you a wonderful swap bear from eons ago before my life went spinning out of control!   Possibly you have time in the near future to pick up where were left off   :hug: 

I also thought I would take a moment to share my latest creation as well as give a plug for the felted face class over at e-bearz university.    Judi has a wonderful class (as many of you know) that  really helped walk through the process of felting a bear face.      I learned a great many tips and techniques through out the class.  As well as many things that I need to do differently next time.     I thought I would share a few photos of the process.     I did realize that it is better to start with a smaller face and build up from there.    The face compared to head got way out of control (too large) and that caused me to make changes!    Also learned to keep the face much lower on the head and the good new is that felting is very forgiving!       

I am hooked of felting just like so many of you!     Here we go:

I did not like the fur in comparison to the head

LionBearStart1.jpg

So I took drastic measures

LionBearRedo.jpg

And he started getting better

LionBearredosideview-1.jpg

And then better after the last section of Judi's class in shading

lionbearfrontview.jpg
lionbearside2.jpg

And then came the body, only to learn more important points - I used my own favorite body pattern only to find out that It is too small even after some adjusting.

Feltedlionclosetofinished.jpg
feltedlionclosetofinishedside.jpg

My camera for some reason shows the shading much stronger then it is in person, the white is not as pronounced in person but I will go back and tone it down some so it is not so striking.

So in the end I love felting, I love TT and e-bearz university for giving me the inspriration to move forward in making more bears!   

Big bear hugs from Dallas

Duff

Sophie, Eileen and SueAnn, thank you all for being so great  bear_wub

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

WOWEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Hugs &

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

Duff  WOW  Your lion is just fabulous!!!  Everything about him works right down to the material!!  Great Job!!

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

WOW indeed.  You've aced it! 

Marion

duff Deedle Bears
Dallas

thank you ladies for the kind words!   I did not realize just how much I missed bear makin'... and with Judi's help I feel ready to spread my felting wings.   I just opened a box of goodies from intercal and feel inspiration coming on!    :dance:    it feels great  to be back here.

hugs
Duff

duff Deedle Bears
Dallas

Charlotte, I meant to ask where you are at in N. NM?    I grew up just outside of Albuquerque, in Sandia Park and am lucky that my parents sill live there.    I love N. NM, such an amazing place you live in!

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
Once again - - Another one bites the dust... er, Fiber!

Great start, Duff, please be sure to post this fantastic lion in the First NFed projects file.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!

You are obviously a natural. As Marion said... "you aced it!!"
Welcome back.. I always wondered where you got to.
Wendy

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas
duff wrote:

Charlotte, I meant to ask where you are at in N. NM?    I grew up just outside of Albuquerque, in Sandia Park and am lucky that my parents sill live there.    I love N. NM, such an amazing place you live in!

Duff,
We are half way between Santa Fe & Las Vegas, out in the boonies...We really love it too, moved to NM from MA 15 years ago.
Hugs &

pma2003 Seamore Collectibles
CT

Wow I'm impressed !!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hey, Girl . . . what an outstanding first NF project!!  Absolutely marvelous!  I'm so glad you're "back" with us and that we'll be hearing more from you - and, of course, showing us more of your superb creations.  I do hope your life has settled down some and that you'll have lots of time to unwind with making your pretties.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

Very Very Impressive!!! He is stunning!!

bea Lodve (Hrault)

Whaouh, i'm impressed!!!!....absolutely fabulous!!! :clap:  :clap:  :clap: ...

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Wowie Zowie !!!!

Another master piece !! Well done !!

Jodi Falk

duff Deedle Bears
Dallas

Thank you everyone,   I feel so wonderful that you all have taken the time to say such kind things bear_wub !

I am just about done and will post the final version when he is done.    Just a few more toes to work on.     Interesting when I heat set the white paint it toned down immensely which surprised me but looks much better. 

I am starting another mohair felted bear in a lighter color and much bigger.    I thought I would go for a 16-18 inch bear so I took everything I learned from the 1st one and modified my pattern a bit.   I was able to start the head this weekend only to find out that I do not have any eyes big enough  So of course I had to place an order for some new eyes.     

It will be fun to dabble in the world of bigger bears!

Thanks again everyone!

Duff

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Bravo Duff!!!

Congratulations!

Very very impressive!

gollyhugs

dilu

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Duff you did an amazing job...as I already told you in class :hug:  :dance:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap: .  I am glad to see you posted him here and I'd like to see you show the whole lion.  It's really amazing and truly satisfying to see what you can do once you take the needle felting plunge.  I am so glad you did Duff! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:   Thanks ever so much for the kind words about the class too. bear_wub  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Board footer