Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

The Rabbit Maker The Rabbit Maker
England
Website

Hi  bear_original

This question may have been asked a hundred times so if it has could someone point me in the direction to find the answers? Many thanks. bear_thumb

When I take photos with my camera if I use the flash I always end up with a black shadow on my photo around the object. bear_ermm

If I turn off the flash then I can't get very close without the image appearing to shake. I have all the lights and a tripod but I do find it so difficult taking pictures. bear_cry

I always manage to get one or two out of a bad lot.... but believe me the air is blue  bear_angry and my husband hides.
bear_whistle

Any advice would be most grateful. bear_grin

Thanks
Shelly

Jennie Teddybears Sweden
Gavle, Sweden

I have had the same problems and it drove me nuts! The only thing that helps is a lot of light! Or taking the photo outside (if you don't live in a country like Sweden where it's dark almost all day long through winter!!) in natural light.
Last week I bought a light tent, it's like a box with white walls, but a white sheet would do as well. I have found that three lights is enough for taking a photo. Put one light on the left, one on the right and then one infront. That way you wont have those dark shadows.
If your photo is still too dark or the white background is too blue, use a photo editior software! I'm addicted to Photoshop!! It helps we get the white balance right.  :)

Here's a picture taking in my light tent, but I still had to use the "white balance" in Photoshop.

hugo1.jpg

The Rabbit Maker The Rabbit Maker
England
Website

Thanks Jennie,

I do have a light tent but my rabbits are too big for it especially when you try and add a cardboard backing.
I do have three lights as well but I'm never quite sure where to put them so I'll try doing the way that you say.

Thanks
Shelly.

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Try shining one light behind your subject.  You might not get so much shadow.  I built a 32" x 32" square frame out of pvc pipe, put it up on a table and clamped 7 lights to it.  It's in our big storage room and I happened to have a twin size mattress stored so I propped it up against the wall behind the whole works and pin my back drops to it.  My lights have the metal bowl shaped reflector things with clamps and I have bright florescent bulbs in them.  With the clamps, you can move them around where ever you need them.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website
Stellajella Wien

Shelly, flashes unfortunately "eat" so much of the true color, so , if you have a light tent and lights, just try to get use to it...without shooting hubby  :crackup: ...or at least only with your cam.
I know, it´s not easy, I´m fighting my way through that as well.
Laura Lynn´s way of shooting pix is great! Wonderful idea!

Gaby bear_flower

Strike A Paw Posts: 535

I find that light tents work the best.  You get alot of reflective light that isn't so harsh on the subjects.  I have a light tent and 3 lights.  I have two light set at a 45 degree angle on either side and one over the top of the light tent that shines in (I don't always use this one, but sometimes it is useful.  The bulbs I use are a 5000K bulb that imitates natural light.

Flashes do tend to wash subjects out a bit, but if you have the option on your camera to set it to "back lit" - it seems to work better.

Good Luck - I to take many pictures with the lights at different angles until I get what I want!

Hugs,

Julie

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

rhubert.JPGI meant to download my photo studio awhile ago when this topic was raised.

You may be surprised when you see my photo studio.

I use a footstool,  dark background cloth pegged to the drapes and I have natural light coming through the window on the right.  I don't use a flash, or lights.  I then use my photo program to adjust the colour of the bears.

photo_studio.JPG

The photo of Rhubert is an example of my picture results...

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Regarding the shaky / blurry images, I would suggest using the self-timer on your camera (in addition to using a tripod, which you are already doing).  That way, when you click the button, stand back with HANDS OFF the camera until it has counted down it's timer and taken the picture.  Even your heartbeat can move a camera enough to blur an image if it is being fussy with lighting or some other factor.  This is especially true when you are zoomed in closer, and when using macro settings for minis.

Good luck!
Kelly

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

How close do you stand to your subject..if you are shooting very close you need to switch off your autofocus. I have a fancy lens which focusses 12 " away but at that distance I have to manually focus it or I get blur. Most cameras don't focus accurately under 3 feet away. So stand back a bit.

Choose a slower shutter speed over a wider aperture if you are using a tripod because something called the 'depth of field' (ie the distance into your picture that the camera is in focus eg, the nose can be sharp but the eyes might be blurry) is affected by the aperture. On a cloudy/dull day your camera might choose a wide aperture to allow more light but that will mean that the depth of field is shallow..so set your aperture if you can to above f8 to give you a good focus.

Board footer