Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I was just wondering if anyone is not too exhausted to say how the show was?   bear_wub

I know if I was there... I'd be TOO tired to even pop onto the board  bear_whistle

Hugz,
Laura

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Yes, I'm back and exhausted.  Traffic seemed pretty steady but a bit less than last year until around 2:00.  Then it really started to thin out.  I'm sure someone will post photos sometime this week.  I didn't take too many this time as I had my own table so I was a bit pre-occupied trying to set up, etc.

Off to bed!

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Sweet Dreams Lisa...rest well, and looking forward to a report tomorrow:)

Hugs &

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

There was more traffic at this show than at others I've done very recently... people were buying... those who sell wholesale did well... the collectors that attended seemed to be serious and appreciative.... it was a nice show. It did feel like attendance wasn't high but then, that's the way it is at shows now-a-days. If those that do come actually buy then we're doing OK.

I took a few pictures but haven't unpacked my camera to look at them to see if they are worth posting... if they are I'll share.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I know the McKays and Wilsons from my show days, and Mark has always done a good job of advertising the Canadian shows.  I'm glad it was worth attending.  Can't wait to see pictures.

hugs,

Brenda

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Hey Brenda, no need to defend the McKays bear_original  bear_thumb  They did a great job! Because of the roof collapse at the original hotel, I'm sure it's possible some thought the show may have been canceled so didn't bother even coming. Mark had volunteers at the damaged hotel directing the way to the new location. The show went smoothly and was well organized. It was great to Alex & Janet! The four of them are such neat people.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Just got home about two hours ago from Hunt Valley.  We had a great time, on Saturday night was the wine and cheese reception which was really nice.  There was all kinds of nibbly things and not only was it wine but pretty much anything you wanted to drink.  We were late in getting there and it was tough to make it around to see everyone, but did manage to see Daphne and Lisa for a few minutes.

The show was really good I thought there were a fair number of people through the show but I don't know for sure.  I have to agree that the collectors were buying.  I found it interesting that most of our smaller bears remained on the table and the ones we did sell where much larger and the more expensive ones.  The collectors were serious about their purchases and were knowledgeable and they knew what they wanted, there was no pussy footing around  :crackup:  :crackup: .  We were lucky enough to have Lisa only a couple of tables away from us so we were able to chat with her and did see Daphne briefly.  I did get a chance to meet Chrissi Catherwood (gosh I hope I spelled that right) I made it around the room for a quick look around but didn't have as much time as I would have liked.  I will do my best to get pics uploaded, I know Steve took a couple at the wine and cheese and he did take some at the show but how many and of what I'm not sure.  But will have to keep everyone in suspense until I get a chance to resize them.

big hugs

Shane

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

The suspense is killing me!!! My pictures aren't worth sharing so I'm hoping your's are! And you are right, Shane... I sold my bigger/higher priced bears too... this show really brought in the serious collectors!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I agree, the McKays don't need defending.  Mark does Special Events Planning in his "regular job", so he's got lots of skills.  Sounds like a nice show all the way round, and so glad so many bears found new homes.

hugs,

Brenda

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Oh my gosh, where to start!  bear_laugh   (yep Shane! You got it right...it's a lot to say and type out  bear_grin Imagine being in grade school with that one  :crackup: )

I walked into the showroom at 8:00 and totally went deer in headlights for about a minute  :crackup:   Folks were setting up and I was floored to see what a show actually looked like...I was a first time attendee and exhibitor all at once!!  I had about 10 minutes of nerves from that point and then I was so into it all that I was having too much fun to be nervous.  To my right was Pamela Wooley's table (wow...big, huge lovey bears) so fun to look over at.  To my left Teddies of Mt Holly, where Pat and Linda were just about the funniest and sweetest ladies around.  I'm so excited to take the ride out to the store now!  Across from my table were Kelly and Margaret of Canna Bear Paint.  Kelly and Margaret were both so genuinely nice, helpful and positive with me about the whole show experience. Such sweet ladies.  I could not have asked for a better table to be at, my neighbors were fantastic.  I was able to jet around a little bit, met a few TT'ers, and took a few pictures too.  I won't have them uploaded til early next week 'cause we took off for vacation today after getting home from MD.  But I did get some really good pics!

I went into this with no high hopes and I came out thrilled with the experience.  I was approached with possibilities of wholesale, participating in online shows, met wonderful collectors face to face while selling to new collectors.  The overall experience was so positive and I'm excited about participating again. 
I'm not sure if traffic overall was high, low or normal being my first time out there....but both Dean and I were "wowed".  I have to say that being at a show and seeing all of the bears live and in person is like nothing you will see online.  If you can get to a show....go, you will not be disappointed. bear_original

:hug:
~Chrissi

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

I can only echo what has already been said!  It was a lovely show, we did have our best sales of the year, including several of our biggest bears.  I thought the turn-out was great, particularly as the good-sized crowd that came was obviously doing their best to buy, buy, buy.  My newest project was introduced at this show on a little corner of our table, sterling silver & gemstone bear-themed jewelry, and I was very pleased at the positive reaction to it.  Chrissi, you are such a sweet and talented lady, it was wonderful to meet you, spend time chatting with you and your wonderful mom, and see your exquisite bears "in the fur"! 

The promoters did a wonderful job, they deserve tremendous kudos for pulling off a great show despite disastrous building-caving-in pre-show troubles.  I think everyone will be very glad to be back at the Embassy Suites next year though!

Funny moment of the weekend... delivering several other artists' bears to their tables during setup.  I kept getting approached with WHERE is your table because I saw you unloading over THERE a minute ago!  It's not nice to confuse people at 7 o'clock in the morning, apparently.  Marilyn, if you're reading this, you cracked me up asking if I had a separate table from my mom this year.  All I could think was "Yeah, we had a fight and they put us on opposite sides of the room."

Well, good golly do I have a lot of work to do before the 2008 show season starts for us in March.  I've had a lovely time seeing all my bear show buddies new and old, and hope to see you all again next year.  As I've got WAY too much to do in the coming months, I probably won't post here often... so best wishes, Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Happy Birthday and whatever else I may miss until we meet again.
bear_original

Bear hugs,
Kelly

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Kelly, that's too funny.... Marilyn was across the aisle from me... and I was so thrilled to come back from breakfast to find by box 'o bears had mysteriously appeared at my table! Thank you for taking such good care of them for a week! They said they'd been well fed and loved!
bear_original

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Well I'm finally getting around to downloading the photos from my camera and because of all the Christmas lights or my own dufocity (my own word meaning to be and act as a dufus) all of my photos were blurry.  So I'm really disappointed with my photography skills.

But I wasn't disappointed with the show.  I think the Wilsons and McKays always do a fabulous job of promoting their events and with the whole roof caving in at the other hotel, I mean, they really had to go above and beyond to pull this one off.  Plus, they always give great goody bags that are like a survival kit for the day and include chocolate chip cookies, water, and lots of other nice stuff.  I love that as it makes me feel special.

I also picked up some new collectors, met some people who actually read all the stuff I write on my Blog, got some great comments on my new line of  q.D.paToOtieS and generally had fun with the Bear Guys just around the corner, Daphne, Chrissi Catherwood, Kelly Zimmerman, Jared and Jane Monroe (who kept trying to talk me into donating things to them from my table display like my vintage dresser), Meg Jackson, and Judy Eppolito and of course the other many talented artists who were there.

Anyway, the collectors and artists all seem to be having a good time and collectors were buying so that's always nice too.  But I like going to the shows to get feedback on my bears and I did so that made it all worth it to me!

mwaggs2 Quilts-N-Critters
Middletown, Ohio
Website

Hi Kelly

I'm so glad I cracked you up.  bear_grin  Hey it was early what can you expect? I didn't know that you were running a Teddy Bear Delivery service. bear_original How nice of you to do that. You and your Mom are so Sweet, it was so nice getting to see you both again.

Hi Daphne

It was so nice finally getting to meet you. I get on teddy talk and read alot but rarely post anything, so I kind of feel like I know you. I'm still thinking of apply for your shows. It's a long way from Ohio. So I'm not sure yet. I need to check on Airfare.

Thanks
Marilyn

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I Marilyn! It was so nice to meet you too! Scary when someone says "I know you" and you have NO CLUE who they are!! Well, I knew your name/business name but not YOU! Now I know a lovely lady to put with them! It would be wonderful to have you at one of my shows! Others have flown from WI, IL, CO, etc..... and in some cases it cost them less than $200. Hopefully you'll find something affordable! Manchester, NH (MHT) is the airport to fly into if possible for the March Show.... MHT again or Portland, ME would be even closer for the Maine Show. Let me know if you need anything!
bear_original  :hug:

Board footer