Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I find it so hard to NOT be distracted by home stuff -- cleaning, bills, computer stuff like forums where I enjoy browsing and endlessly connecting with other people -- that I'm contemplating getting an outside-the-home office so I can be FORCED into greater productivity and less distracted by "real life" concerns and drivel.

The upside of having an office is that I would set it up without a computer or other time-wasters -- but with a radio or iPod or whatever, and probably a DVD player which I can watch while working so I don't feel totally isolated -- so while I'm there, I'd have pretty much nothing else to do BUT work on bears and art stuff.  If I'm putting in 5-8 hours a day like that, I simply have to end up with more product to sell.

The downside of having an office is that, first, I have to actually GET there each day.  And of course, that it makes working late at night more difficult.  And second, it costs money.

I'd appreciate any insight anyone might have to offer, especially those of you with craft offices away from home, or who know someone who works in that fashion.  And even those of you with business offices (not craft related) away from home -- I'm not talking about "going to work" but rather, just an office all to yourself that you rent or borrow -- would be a great resource.

I'm not expecting a huge deluge of replies because I haven't heard people write about this much, but I'm just curious and interested in hearing about your experiences, if any, in this area.

Thanks!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Shelli I've thought about that a lot!  But I decided for me, it wasn't the right thing to do... at least not now.  The main issue is the overhead.  I've "been there, done that" with my ex husband and the 3 shops we had.  You have to sell so much just to "make the rent" (and utilities, etc).  But yes, the "no distraction" thing would be great!

I've often thought about one of those awesome sheds from Lowes in the yard....  bear_whistle   Just don't think hubby would go for it....
095317187032.jpg

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I used to have an office/workshop across town Shelli.  I shared it with my husband (now ex-husband ... now ex-office!)  I must admit, I loved it.  It felt so 'professional' and it definitely helped having somewhere 'to go to work' every day.  It was a big space with room for an office, a workshop, storage room and display area.  From time to time customers would come to visit me at work and it helped to make me feel a part of the workforce, as though I was doing a 'proper job', rather than dabbling with a hobby.  At the time, I was in the fortunate position of not having to pay any rent for this space, because we also owned a building company which paid the bills ... there was no way I could financially justify paying for rented space on my income, it would have knocked a huge hole in what I was earning and wouldn't have been financially viable for me. 

When my husband and I separated, I moved my bear business back home lock, stock and barrel.  That was tough.  For seven years my little house bulged at the seams while it doubled as home and work.  As you say, when working from home, the hardest thing is to stay focused ... 

I didn't have a spare room at home, so I worked from my lounge, kitchen and hallway, using the loft space for storage.  It was far from ideal, but I was determined to make it work.  Luckily for me, after seven such years, my fortunes have turned again and in my new life, I now have a house large enough to spare me a workroom where I can shut the door and work on my bears to my heart's content without distractions.  I have deliberately left the computer downstairs in the dining room, so that once I am in my workroom, I actually do focus and make bears!

So, as you see, I have had three different situations for my work ... the hardest being working at home without a separate workroom.  I loved having the office across town, but in all honesty, was no more productive there than I am now in my designated workroom at home.  I don't think rented office space increases productivity necessarily and it certainly doesn't enhance profits; in my humble opinion, the only way to achieve that is to knuckle down to productive work, wherever you are situated!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I hear you, Shelli!  Between hubby's day off, mid week, and daughter's two days off during the week, babysitting our grandson at least one day every two weeks and the cat biting my arms to get me to pay attention to him, it's slow going.  That's why I do most of my work between 9:00 p.m. and 3:00 a.m. in the morning.  This doesn't work for everyone as I am naturally a night owl and my family & friends know that if they phone me before noon, they could be in big trouble   :crackup:
     We do have an unlisted phone number, which helps tremendously = no more telemarketers!  I have a sign on my door that we do not respond to soliciations at the door.  I'm getting very zealous about guarding or privacy in our own home. 
     What about making a schedule and really try sticking to it.  Firgure out how many hours you really want to spend working the next day, and breaking it down into 3 groups of equal time.  Do one group in the a.m., one in the p.m. and one in the evening, or half morning and half afternoon, if your evenings are family time.  I do this mainly when I have a deadline - it's the only way I get things done and I can be deadly at frittering away my time.  I do one hour at a time, and then give myself a 30 minute break to get a house chore done like starting laundry or getting a snack and having a quick look at TT  bear_grin   Then, it's back to the grindstone for another hour.  It adds up quickly and you do get much more done AND there is no extra expense. 
     I have my eye on a house in Newcastle by Lake Ontario.  Hubby has always wanted to live by water but for me, the attraction is that is has an antiques business in a separate little building - it looks like a mini house.  I drool every time we go by it, thinking of all the possibilites of turning it into a studio on the same property as where we would reside.  So Shelli, I hear you loud and clear about everything including the money *sigh*!

hugs,

Brenda

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I've thought about having a studio away from home for all of the same reasons, Shelli. And I'd shown those sheds to Laura with the same thought... even if the studio was a separate building in the back yard I'd probably be more productive! (But to set up a winterized, rodent proof 'shed' would be incredibly costly!)

To be honest I'm still considering it.... anytime I see office space for lease I REALLY think about it. But the expense... is it going to bring in more profits in the end? Will that $600/mo for rent & utilities sink me and I'll be moving my studio back home before I can say "teddy bear" or will I be THAT much more productive that I'll be able to not only cover my new additional business expense but still produce even more to make a profit? I think the only way I'd know is to try it. But I'm not quite ready.....YET!

In the meantime I've begun working with a Creativity Coach.... it sounded a bit hoaky to me at first but in chatting with her to find out exactly what she does it seemed like an affordable and practical option to try. I was at my wits end with low productivity, disorganization with my show promoting, not being able to find anything because my studio is such a mess. I was desparate!

We haven't been working together long but I'm seeing improvements already in my habits. Her website describes her services best and can be found here: http://www.veralisastudio.com/ She's a writer and bear maker so really understands what we do. Our 'sessions' are via email, twice a week... and so far her suggestions, advice and assignments have been a Godsend. (If you want to know more feel free to email me!)

I'll continue to work in my home studio for now (and be distracted by everything from the dishes and laundry to dogs and computer).... but will continue to dream of studio space until it finally seems like a practical thing to do. Fingers crossed that someone here can convince us both of that!!!
bear_original

Yvonne Bebbin Bears
Buckinghamshire
Website

Hi Shelli,

After years of working from my dining room table, I now have a summerhouse type studio in my garden which although expensive at the time, has been the best thing I ever spent money on. Although I am still on site, I find that by having a seperate building from the main house, it feels that I am actually going to work...if you understand what I mean! I work there for five to six hours every day, with no distractions, from computors, phones etc. with just my music and all my fabrics and equipment. I don't find it at all lonely....as I am so absorbed in my work, and get so much more done!

Anyway... hope this may help....and good luck with finding your dream work space!!

hugs Yvonne  bear_flower

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Wow, so many more replies than I anticipated, and a few via PM as well!  You guys are the best.

Here are some thoughts and they are NOT an attempt to shoot down your ideas. I'm just talking about myself and what I know myself to be and how I know myself to work and function.

1.  I've tried the "set aside specific times to work" thing and find I'm just too distracted to stick to it.  Once I'm IN the guest room/studio I'm okay.  It's getting there, and then STAYING there, that's the problem.  I think it's not even "distraction" although that's the word I use.  I am desperately, entirely tired of the isolation of working at home.  I'm a screaming extrovert and I can't stand "going away" to my guest room which is surrounded by chores that need doing and my computer which brings relationships -- you guys!  So I'm not sure that's a good option given my personality and my feeling of isolation there, and one of the reasons I'm thinking about something that is outside the four walls of my house.  At least that way I'll have a commute and a reason to go out for lunch or coffee once a day and that is a kind of social sharing.   I miss that so much!  All these years of working at home have really taken a toll on my spirit, in truth.  I miss people, which is much of the reason I love TT and art forums/communities so much!

2.  The backyard shed/studio idea is a good one.  It's AWAY FROM the house but still a part of it and the plus side is that it might even increase the appraised value over time!  Of course I'd need to check permit requirements for the area but the yard is big enough and I think it would be doable.

For those of you with such a setup, though, I have to ask -- how do you heat/cool the space?  We don't have a clue how to run electricity to such an area.  What was your solution to that problem?  How big were your pricetags to get such spaces set up, if it's not too personal to ask? 

3.  I've not even started looking here in Chico for space.  There's no point in working in someone's closet so it would have to be welcoming which might mean more costly.  And then there's the lease thing; do I want to commit to 6 months or a year when it might bankrupt me sooner than that if fiscally it doesn't work out!

AARGH!

Anyway, just some of what I'm thinking, and trying to take into account financials, plus the person I think I honestly know myself to be.

You're all total rock stars; thanks for your many words of encouragement and so many great ideas.  I'm sure somewhere between the lot of you I'll find an excellent compromise/solution.  Maybe I should just move my entire studio space to somewhere more "Friendly" within my own house.  No reason why I can't work right here in the front room.  Although, that's where the damn computer -- the bane and joy of my existance, both -- is located.  <sigh>

Laughing here... bear_original

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I am desperately, entirely tired of the isolation of working at home.

Ah, what we need is a communal workshop!  I totally understand the sense of isolation and have no answer for it.  It's one of my life's great imponderables.   :doh:

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Another thought came to me about this... If I were to find an office outside of my home - I would no longer be able to deduct a portion of my mortgage & utilities on my taxes!  Just a thought... and check with your tax guy bear_original

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Yeah, that's true but can't you deduct it elsewhere, as rent?  I'm not much of a tax gal -- leave it to the experts -- but that makes sense to me.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

You see...If I had some other place to work I just wouldn't turn up....I'd phone in sick all the time!!!

Seriously..I had a room upstairs..there are two of us and we have 4 bedrooms so I can find space ...but the dogs would howl all day while I was up there..driving me insane...and honestly, I felt isolated and like I was missing something.
I work a planned day pretty much..I start early as I can..definitely by 8.30 am...many times earlier..and I keep going till I am sick of it...which is often about 8.30pm...about now in fact. I talk on the phone..and sew at the same time! In fact I plan what I can do while on the phone so as to not waste time. I love working from home...probably because I worked  10-12 hour days 6 days a week for years and years when I worked full time in hairdressing and being home is fab!

I am converting our garage into a work-room after Christmas ...just to keep all the mess in one room really...will I still sit in the sitting room and sew...of course I will.  I do think on the up side a separate place to work keeps you focussed in so much as it puts a purpose into the day...but on the downside the costs will come off your bottom line even if you don't sell anything.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Hmmmm great question Shelli,  although we don't have a seperate office away from the house we do have our basement which over half of it is for the Studio, so roughly 17' x 26', we don't have any phones down there or TV just a stero but it works well for us.

You seem to have two problems here though, the one is chores and other distractions and no  interaction with other people (besides the internet).

We always had a have a time with maintaining our house when we got into what we call "Bear Mode"  getting ready for a show things around the house would just fall apart and bug us to pieces. We actually hired a cleaning person to come in every two weeks to clean the house and scrub the floors and vacume and all the stuff that we just didn't have time for.  Now granted this did cost us money, but it also freed up so much of our time that we were able to concentrate on the bear work and designs.  I did feel bad as there are only two of us in the house and how in heavens name could we not keep our house clean.  Now remember we also work full time so the only time we had for bears was weekends and evenings and we still need social time with friends and family.

Your second problem is the socializing with people, it is very difficult when you work at home and you don't really have anyone to communicate with outside of the house.  Perhaps joining a guild whether it's a bear guild or doll guild or art guild that has get togethers once a week or even once a month.  It is important to get out and be with people, if there isn't a guild in your area then maybe start one.  We have talked about having an evening maybe once a week or a couple of times a month where you have people over and they bring something to work on and you just sit and talk and interact with them.  Now this doesn't mean you have to even do anything, just sitting and chatting is great. 

There is also a dicipline problem, some people just can't work at home as they are distracted by everything else around them.  I think what you have to do is remember that going to your work room is just the same as going to work.  You pick a start time and you stick to it,  you take your 15 min break in the morning and then your lunch and then a 15 min break in the afternoon.  Staying off of the computer is difficult I know, but what you need to do is maybe start a reward system for yourself, decide on what you want to try and get accomplished in the morning, if you get that done then reward yourself with being able to check out Teddy Talk for a few minutes or one of your other forums.  But limit yourself to 15-20 and then back to work.  Set another goal for yourself and again once that is done then you provide yourself with another reward of computer time.   

Remember that you are at work so you can't do laundry when your at work, you do that in the evening just like anyone else would have to do.  The same thing for cleaning the house (remember a cleaning person is going to cost less than leasing an office somewhere)

Ok I've rambled on long enough and I'm sure half of what I said doesn't even make sense but it's just my two cents worth.    bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

big hugs

Shane

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Hey girlie!
Have you looked into an artist co-op type of thing?  Shared space, rent, utilities?  Are there any artist groups in your area? 

Warmest hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Hey... that's just what I was gonna say Aleta!   bear_tongue   My hubs has his law office in an extremely "artsy" area of Cleveland that is also home to many university/art school students.  I know I see ads all the time in the local paper for rooms for rent for studio use.  Also co-op art studios that are housed in the old warehouses.  Might be worth looking into, as from what I remember the rates were quite reasonable. 

Kim Basta

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Shelli,
    It seems like a huge part of your problem is being alone all the time.   That's something I thrive on - I like to tinker and try new things and I love being alone.  After having a major problem with a "drop in whever I feel like it" neighbour in our old house, I've deliberately avoided meeting neighbours because I don't want interuptions - I smile and even wave, but that's it.  I consider the computer my social life (how sad is that!) because after being on TT for a bit, I feel satisfied and I'm in control of when I go on, but that isn't what I'm hearing from you. 
     I used to have "tea times" with Deb Burnham and my niece, about once a month, when I lived in Kemptville, and I do miss the physical "show and tells" that we did.  We shared what we were working on and we are all very similar in our intersts, so I do miss that, but I'm going for a visit next week to celebrate Deb's 40th birthday and I can't wait. 
    Are there any artists in close proximity to you?  They don't have to be bear artists -maybe altered art or lampwork bead makers?  You could to a tea once a month or so, if you could find one or two artists that are interested - maybe rotate houses and that would get you out of the house 'physically'.  It really helps to inspire you when you see things others are working on.  It might give you that human contact you so desperately need, and leave you feeling happier about working at home.

hugs,

Brenda

bearsofbath Bears Of Bath
Bath, UK
Website

Hi Shelli, I had a studio a few years ago which I shared with my husband, he makes cut glass sculptures and I was glass engraving at the time.  We had a very generous landlord who owned a bespoke furniture company and allowed us to supplement our rent by doing odd jobs around the building, painting fire escapes, walls etc.  Unfortunaltely we found that having our own space specifically for our art seemed to totally stop us from being creative and in the end we gave it up and went back to working from home. 
The best idea I have seen here in Bath is a local artist group BANA which rent out small workshop spaces inside an old auction house.  This seems to work well for most people as it also keeps the rent down as so many people share the same bills.  If there is somewhere close by, perhaps this could be an option for you?
I have found I am at my most creative at home, but the main thing that annoys me is having to stop every 5 minutes to do dinner/lunch/tea/school runs/cleaning etc. I wish I could be able to just get on with my bearmaking, and school holidays are just a major no no.
Perhaps one day I can have the space at home and have a dedicated room I could go too....I'll have to get bear making and earn more money to move  bear_grin back to the mohair!
Hope you have better luck. bear_original

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

So many great ideas you guys!  I'm still churning on what's best, and there are so many permutations I haven't tried yet.  For example... part of why I feel so lonely at home is that the computer and all my friends there positively BECKON to m, which REMINDS me constantly that I'm alone and there are fun things to be said and read online (am I a dork, or what???)    And I walk past laundry (wash it!) and dishes (clean them!) and chipped paint (Aleta, where are you?  Will you please redo MY house for a change?)

But if I had an office space, in the backyard or otherwise, even though I'd still be alone, I don't think I'd be lonely, because I'd be FOCUSED... instead of always feeling pulled to something else.  Because, you know, there'd be nothing else to do! 

I'm really sounding like quite the nutcase, aren't I?  :)

On your suggestions, I spent the afternoon browsing Lowe's and Home Depot catalog, and looking up artist studio and rental spaces here in Chico.  I did find one very promising office for rent, VERY near my house, VERY affordable.  So affordable I can't afford NOT to look at it, since it's quite nearby, and honestly, if I made even two bears per month and assuming the market doesn't totally plummet or my work stop selling entirely (please don't let that happen), I'd still make more than I'm making now, because I'm working so slowly and often only finish one a month.  If I got to three or four or five a month it would be miraculous!

I worry I sound whiny or incredibly spoiled; actually, I'm neither, but this problem has been haunting me for some time now.  Lack of focus, most generally.  I'm very fortunate and feel grateful and blessed to have a guest room I can use as a studio.  I"m sure those of you working on coffee tables want to hit me about now!  But hey, we all have our issues.  That guest room is taken over entirely with my craft stuff, such that we can't have guests anymore because they can't move around in there or store anything except to plop on the bed!  And my parents are only a few hours away so it would be nice to house them graciously.  So ideal as a guestroom studio sounds, that has it's own problems, and it's so overcrowded I can hardly move in there -- seriously.  Pretty as it is, it's also the most depressing room in the house, lacking the wonderful sense of light we get elsewhere.  It just feels like I'm going into a cave to hibernate -- rather into a place I feel energized and creative and alive -- when I go in there to work. Yet it's the only place in the house that makes sense as a work space.

Anyway, I'll touch base again with how the viewings go this afternoon.  Chico is very affordable in terms of housing costs (although much less so than, say, a decade ago.)  If I lived in SF this wouldn't be an option because I'd have to sell twenty bears a month to break even; I'm not looking at anything near that kind of profit/loss situation locally.   I'm checking out two local office spaces and I would never have done it if you all hadn't been so understanding and supportive and had so many great ideas, which SHOVED me into doing some serious research.

I like the shed idea second best, but admit, I don't even have the cashflow right now to fund the purchase and outfitting of such a place (electricity, permits, heat/air which are required because of weather patterns here.)  We'll see where this goes.

Updates to follow.  THANK YOU for being my friends!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

The social sacrafice of working at home doing what we do is another reason I get nothing done... I'm always online! I worked as a retail manager for 15 years..... often 10-12 hours days and always 6 days a week. That's a LOT of socializing. Now it's been 3 years that I've been "Home Alone" so to speak and as you said, it's really done a job on my spirit!

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a part-time job... perhaps a couple of half days a week even... there would be at least 3 benefits to doing such a thing: 1)satisfy my need to socialize 2)give some structure to my days/weeks and 3)be a bit of extra income. I think the structure would, in the end, cause me to be more productive with my bears. And the socializing might prevent the need to spend quite so much time online.

Shel, there are websites with those pre-fab shed/cottages.... and Home Depot and Lowes sell them... that's where I originally got the idea as they had them on display in their parking lot and I immediately saw little window boxes, curtains and lots of creative 'me' space inside! Of course, to make them animal proof and climate controlled will cost additional money. My hub is an emgineer and knows how to get the electricity out there... you can call an electrician.... it's not a dificult job.For climate control: some have windows big enough for an a/c unit. And you could use a space heater or perhaps pellet stove for heat.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

What if you got some sort of part time job for interaction with people? I am LOVING teaching art two days per week. And because I don't feel like I have an endless supply of time at home anymore, I am more focused on my days off. Sometimes the busier you are, the more you can get done. I must say though, that with teaching and doing bears I really ought to be thinking about Shane's house keeper idea!!! My house is a wreck!

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Ha, Daphne!!! Great minds think alike. We must have been slowly typing at the same time!

Kidsandteddy The kids and teddy too
Lincoln Ca.

Shel,
Well I feel your pain...I was just telling my husband that it is so hard to get into my workroom before 1:00 p.m. It seems as though there is always something pulling me away. Appointment, grocery shopping, washing etc. etc. and I do agree with you, sometimes I just want to go out during the day and see people and talk to someone besides the dog.  bear_original  Have coffe and even shop at times. But then the day is gone and I am up working until midnight. I don't know why but I seem to get the most done at night....

I too have had an outside business (gift store) and still did bears. That was a lot of work.....
I think my best work space was the studio my husband built me off of the garage at our last home. We were in town so I could walk to the drug store, coffe shop etc. I really miss that.
Now since we moved to Idaho I just have a room upstairs...and a seperate office which is nice.

I understand what you are saying but the overhead is a killer.....when having a space outside your home.

Although just telling others that you have a office or workspace you go to would be nice. Just the other day I was out and was telling this store owner what I did. And I know most of you have heard this before. (OH WHAT A FUN HOBBY)  I sooooo much wanted to hit her.    bear_noexpression

Anyway I don't know if this helped or not. Just my take on this very hard business that most of us love so much.  bear_original

Hugs
Bonnie

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Honestly, I would recommend combining two of the ideas above if I were you.  Get a part time job, just a little bit of something that you would enjoy and would allow for socializing a few days a week.  Then use that money to hire a housekeeper!  That day, during your "work at home" days, the cleaning would be already done. 

I agree with Shane that the problem seems to be two-fold.  If it's really the social interaction you crave, you would be FAR better off with a part-time job or volunteer work than to get into a public studio somewhere.  You might find yourself spending far more time socializing than working, if the former was really what was lacking in the first place.

If it's really distractions and home workspace that bothers you, those can be manipulated.  If overall space is a problem, rent a climate-controlled storage space locally and do some serious re-organizing to remove everything that is off-season / unused / in the way to give you room to breathe.  We did this, and oh boy did it help.  If you just don't like working in your current work room, then don't work in it... seriously, use it for storage, but have a tote or tray of some sort that you can pick up your supplies for a project and go somewhere more inspiring in or outside the house to work on them.  As long as you have good light and a work surface available, you can work anywhere.  My mother purchased a little lightweight end table with raised sides from a furniture store to work off of (the raised sides keep everything from falling off when she picks it up to move it).  It has worked wonderfully, anywhere the end table can go, her project can go.  We do not have a specified "work room" here, but rather areas in the house dedicated to organized (hopefully) storage space, and then we work wherever we want to or need to.  Variety is the spice of life, and all that. 
bear_original

Best wishes,
Kelly

cbearlover Teddies by Connie
Nevada City

Ladies

Don't forget, by doing Bear Shows it gets you out of the house, meeting people, socializing with other artists and bear collectors.  Good airing out.  I find i have lots of time to work in my sewing room...i think it is my hiding place.  Somewhere down the road...the wash..dishes..cleaning house gets done sooner or later.

connie :hug:

K Pawz Guest

When we built our house, I made sure to use one of the bedrooms for my studio, had hardwood floors put in for easier cleaning...but still I lack structure to get in and be productive and do work in every other room in the house just so I don't feel locked away....leaving the door open is not an option because my studio is the last place the cats and dogs need to be in...not to mention I have a computer in there as well.
I do miss the social aspect, but what I have done to make up for it is go back to one of my other loves one day a week....I have started horseback riding again on Wednesdays...I leave early, go to the mall do my window shopping, pick up little things that catch my eye....head out to the barn, chat, ride, come home exhausted, have a nap, and then am refreshed and ready to get back to work for the rest of the week. Riding on a Wednesday totally breaks up the week, and the bit of exercise really does alot for my piece of mind as well.
Hugs,
Krista

Cat Gabriel Cat Gabriel Crafts
Melbourne, Australia

I don't have any suggestions to offer you Shelli, but I just wanted to say that I find the computer one of my biggest distractions.  I only have a few hours a day that I can do bearmaking and 9/10 times I end up spending it on the computer!!  I bring out all my bear stuff with the best of intentions and end up tapping away on the laptop instead  bear_wacko

Board footer