Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

It is soooo nice to hear lots of you saying the computer is such a distraction!  I thought is was my lack of discipline.  Hubby doesn't get it - he keeps saying "what on earth do you do on the computer all the time" LOL! 

I have my computer in my bedroom, away from my studio and it helps, but I always check my email before I go to bed, and bingo - there goes an hour!    If you could "sell" discipline, someone would be a trillionaire :crackup:

My other problem is if I do get started on a bear, I find it hard to stop.  My over-focusing problem is definitley hard to deal with.  It's sort of an all or nothing problem for me. 

Shelli, I'm curious to see how you make out - at least you know you're not alone LOL!

hugs,

Brenda

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

NO, I feel very much in good company, actually, Brenda.

Part of the problem for all of us is that there's no "one size fits all" solution to any of these problems -- isolation, discipline, and so on.  And so many variables come into play.

For example, I could get a part time job or even volunteer to appease my feelings of isolation.  But I share my kids with my ex-husband, who gets them every other weekend, and much of my time "with" them, they are in school.  So I don't want to miss any after school hours I might otherwise spend with them, because I'm working Tuesdays and Thursdays... or whatever.  You get my drift.

Getting an office would force me to focus and I know myself; I would get there and work.  But there's the overhead thing, which cuts into the bottom line.

My dad, who is ex-army, keeps telling me, "Just get some discipline!"  So I write down my plan for the day, and it promptly falls to pieces -- always for a good reason, really, in the moment anyway! -- the first or second attempt.

I'm just looking for a radical change to shake things up and get back on track, that will help me work more focused, that won't cost too much, that doesn't require me to hire a contractor or go through extensive permit processes, that frees up my guest room, that allows me to be with my kids, that pays the bills, that doesn't force me to spread my bearmaking across twenty rooms (that kind of thing drives OCD peeps like me nutso,) and coats that all in milk chocolate to boot.  How hard can that be???

bear_original  Cracking up here.  bear_original

Anyway, you guys are an awesome assist.  I saw one of the two available spaces today and it's nice but I'm waffling until I see the second, which has more light.  The price is so affordable I'd almost be lobotomized not to think about it seriously.  Will post more once I see space #2!

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

I know a lady here who had a similar dilemma... in that she wanted a part-time job, but did not want it to cut into any of her time with her kids.  Her solution was to get a job at the school, so that when she did work, her hours matched theirs.  Food for thought!

Best wishes,
Kelly

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

It is!  If only they went to the same school and had the same hours... !  Nothing is ever easy, is it?

Thanks, Kelly! bear_original

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

SO..................???????????????

I'm holding my breath here and cannot hang on much longer!

I just found this thread and it has one of the WORST cliffhanger 'endings' I've ever seen.

IT'S BEEN 24 HRS!! WHAT HAPPENED!!???

mutter mutter.. don't think I can wait til morning.... may have to stop in here on the 3 AM potty run.....

PUUUULEEEZE let us know!!

Has the nefarious/lothario Realtor kidnapped you?

Run away with you into the twilight?

Are you busy moving everything in to your new STUDIO !!!!!????

i'm dyin' here.. there've got to be more work answers that i can actually use

My Future is in your hands Shelli.

This is my productive time too, Brenda, but I think I just crossed over into Monty Python. Off to bed with you, 'm girl

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

There , see what I mean? I never even looked at the clock.

I just realized that you posted an hour ago, BEFORE the Big hand and the Little hand passed 12.
I will not pass Go nor collect my $200...
It was barely an hour ago that you posted.
A very red-faced Bobbie....

Can anyone tell that I didn't get a lick of needling done today?
All of my Productive Time was spent hunched over these little white squares.
Good, I've covered that well, eh?
I'm blaming it on pain-killers!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Believe me, I find the discipline a struggle too sometimes, but seven years of single parentdom is a great mind focuser.  Even though I'm no longer alone, I still work to the same principle of planning ahead so that I know how in advance much income I need to achieve for the following month.  Then I set to work to earn it.

I've been self-employed for a long time and do have regular periods when I question if I'm still doing the right thing for me.  Working from home is very isolating and a bit like hiding from the real world sometimes, but whenever that feeling creeps over me, I take myself out and about to remind myself real life is still out there ... then I remind myself of how it felt to deal with people who bugged the hell out of me in the employed workplace every day - how stifling it felt to take orders, do as I was told ... you get the picture.  A home-based workroom and a little dedication to creativity soon starts to look quite attractive in the face of the alternative!   bear_tongue

That said, a day or two each week doing something completely different would be great ... but it would have to be the right something, I wouldn't want to sacrifice my creative time for something uninspiring, just for the sake of getting back into the big wide world and being among people again.  Am I sounding like a hermit?  bear_grin

I'm not completely regimented whilst working from home, I do like the freedom to choose my hours and the opportunity that gives me to plan my days.  If the sun shines for example, the washing does get hung on the line, the house does get cleaned and my family always comes home from work to a home cooked meal; for me those small home-making things are the benefits I enjoy bringing to my family, as a result of being self-employed.  However, they don't stop me from maintaining my business and producing what I need to produce ... usually two to three big bears per week.

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Shelli I hear you, on a different level.  bear_happy I don't have the perfect mix, but here you go.  bear_happy

I work full time, and do bears in my spare time, after everyone has gone to bed. Unfortunately I don't make as many bears as others, I know that.
Now I find working really helps to keep you focused on time management although I find its frustrating me personally and that I would rather be home making bears, I have the income but lack the spare time also the energy too I am exhausted by the end of the week, and maybe time management and structure is one of the things to work on.   

I have kids both at school, we get to do their sports, school stuff and spend time on the weekends when their not with their friends house.  Unfortunately we run a pretty tight schedule the older they get to fit everything in  :doh:

Working gives you the social level aspect away from bears so you can tune out and come back refreshed, all I want to do in the evenings is have my own space and quiet time I find my bears give me that retreat. We have spent a small fortune on an extension last year on our existing home not  just for a spare room, but a few other rooms as well, which now furnished and complete I can settle and work in finally when I feel like it. For what is cost if was a better option than building a separate studio in the backyard away from the house. The cost to build one of those neat studios was just too much.

I am also a member of a mixed craft Co-op we meet once a month, so  I get the like interest get togethers, we create and chat  together on a different level and share mixed crafts that some how all seem to have a common interest on techniques, supplies etc.  We have also developed some good friendships and we all pay a small cost to share hall hire on an annual basis and pool those funds, we generate income by selling some of our items and the co-op retains a % as commission and goes into the pool of funds.

I would dare say you never know if you put a free ad in your local newspaper you would probably find some others in your area, not necessarily bear folk, are looking for what you are after, to get together socially and share a cost to hire a room on a semi casual basis. You never know if you network with others with a common or like interest they are normally associated with clubs or churchs or something where you could share a place at minimal cost even a donation towards charity, its worth a try.

Hope this helps you all. Good luck  :hug:  :hug:

PS... oh yeah the computer thing, I suffer from that, but when I have a deadline or I start to spend too much time on it, my solution get what you need done on it, and then turn it off, the temptation will go away. Yeah harsh I know.  :doh:

carsoncreations Carson Creations
Macomb, IL
Website

Just have to sneak in for a quick quote ....

I do work out of the house, but not making bears, and I would love dearly to be able to stay home and do just that.  While at work doing things that "have to be done" I am constantly thinking about how I'm gonna get those bears done when I get home.  After a full day of conflicts, problems and chaos at work .... I'm looking forward to getting home and doing something I want to do.  But after doing chores, fixing supper, doing dishes ... I'm just too wiped out to even think about the bears.  So I usually wait for the weekends to try to get some bear work done.   Then on the weekend, hubby has other plans for us.  Since he has been home all week (he's retired) he wants to go somehwere ....There goes my bearmaking time. 

As far as working at home full time, I know I would not be able to stay in the house with hubby 24/7, so would need a "getaway" even if it was as a greeter at Walmart for one or two days per week.

As I near retirement from a glamourless job, I am starting to think about days at home and how I will fill that day.   I too get distracted very easily.  I think discipline is the number one project for me and something I need to work on right now.  For us, I think a schedule would be in order.  Hubby seems to be a stickler for doing things at certain times, etc. .... so for us, I would need to establish hours for my bearmaking and nothing else ... no traveling, no outside chores that requires the two of us, no housekeeping, etc.    In fact, I could and should start doing that now!!!

You gals have given me lots to think about ...thank you Shelli for bringing up this topic ... I too am waiting anxiously for your solution.  Best of luck !!!

Hugs,

Wanda

duff Deedle Bears
Dallas

Hi shelli,       I know I am posting a bit late but I thought I would add a quick thought.     I currently work from home in a non bear field and have done so for many years now.     Before I moved I had built a garage at my old house and set it up with a seperate electric meter to ensure that I did not have to do all the calculations of house office square footage vs personal use.    I was also able to deduct most of the building cost due to it being an office.    Being able to show that it was seperate from the house meter was the way I went to show it was an office space not a home space.   The install of the meter only added about $300 to the over all construction cost.    I loved it as I was able to have an office dedicated to work and not mingled in with my home life.    Just a quick trot accross the back yard and the day would begin.    I also had a pet sitter who would come around noon to let the dogs out and signal to me it was lunch time.    Even though I was technically at home, I still went with the pet sitter so I would treat it as a job that I had to be at at a certain time. This schedule allowed me to be very focused.   Personally I did not claim anything else on my taxes at the end of the year other then electiric and phone  per the recomendation of my accountant  in the event I needed to sell the house. (Which I did and was glad I went that route)

I would also stronly suggest you speak to a tax account and to ensure that the route you go ends up being as tax friendly as possible.    The IRS tends to be less forgiving in a working from home situation and I found that the advice that I got from my acountant was very helpful in making th final decision on how to handle the whole working from home issue.   I have been playing around with doing the same thing here (the garage route) but have not taken the plunge because in all reality the total construction cost of my previous garage was over $25k when it was all said and done.     It worked for me becuase the house had no garage to begin with and it helped the resale value.     Had I just added a storage shed in the back and converted it my real estate agent said I would have lost equity upon resale as it is hard to find a buyer looking for such an option.  Kind of like adding a pool, it sounds great but not everyone wants one.

My office is now in my master bedroom and I dearly wish I had my old garage office!       I wish you luck in your final decision and look forward to hearing your final decision!

Duff

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio
All Bear wrote:

Believe me, I find the discipline a struggle too sometimes, but seven years of single parentdom is a great mind focuser.  Even though I'm no longer alone, I still work to the same principle of planning ahead so that I know how in advance much income I need to achieve for the following month.  Then I set to work to earn it.

That said, a day or two each week doing something completely different would be great ... but it would have to be the right something, I wouldn't want to sacrifice my creative time for something uninspiring, just for the sake of getting back into the big wide world and being among people again.  Am I sounding like a hermit?  bear_grin

Paula, that first part, about knowing what you need to earn and then planning how to get it done is exactly what a dollmaker friend and I have been talking about! You make so much sense bear_thumb !
The other part about the part time job being something where you wouldn't sacrifice creative time also hits the nail on the head for me. I struggled with the decision to go back to teaching, and then I thought "I could teach art!" But even though I have had loads of experience with all kinds of art, as well as eight years of teaching experience in regular elementary classrooms, I am not certified to teach art so getting an art job at a public school would be difficult if not impossible. But a small Catholic school realized my potential and the two days a week is perfect, and while it is challenging it it still has that creative soul-feeding capacity that is important to me.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

You all have shared lots of various solutions or ways around the challenges we face as artists...... sounds like none are entirely perfect though very acceptable but some life/work habits still have to be tweaked regardless. Self-discipline and compromise are still going to have to be part of the equation.

Sigh......... bear_tongue

Bummer!  bear_rolleyes

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I'm no help with the office aspect right now. After being in retail land and corporate cubicle land since I was 18 I'm thrilled to pieces to have complete control of my  day, time, goals and home based workspace.  I'm on the other side right now where I've never felt so creative..but I'm at a year of doing it too...I'm sure I'll hit a 2 or 7 year itch and need to shake thing up a bit to remain creative.
BUT I do get the social aspect and that's where I plan a half day with my sisters, or take classes that can contribute to what I'm doing but that aren't bear related....art related courses (stained glass, book making, etc) that are usually offered one night or one day a week via community college or something like an adult learning thing at the local high school.  I personally wouldn't go back to retail for social interaction because it can get old fast when you're looking for something a little more real.  Maybe you could teach a bear class (away from your place) as a catalyst for creativity, you've always said you're a teacher at heart  bear_flower
Good Luck with it all!
:hug:
~Chrissi

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

LOL Bobbie!!!!   :crackup:  :crackup:   You crack me up  bear_grin

Roxanne Bear Paws by Roxanne
Odessa, Tx

Hi Shelli,
I do have a shop/studio that is not in my house, but rather in my back yard.
Several years ago when I was working very hard at getting my name out, I was able to have my hubby build this shop for me. He is a electrician among other things and was able to do this. I know that each state has different regulations for buildings. But when this shop was build, I did not need a permit for it. It is built off the ground, and set on concrete blocks. Like a portable building. I believe that it is 13x16 with 8 ft walls. I had him keep the ceiling open. I did not want to feel to confined or claustrophobic... I did real well going out there to work every day after I sent the kiddles off to school. But then life threw a couple wammies at me and I had lost interest some. I tend to go through a "burn out" at least once a year. You get to feeling as useless as tits on a bore hog!  bear_grin   I find myself there right now. I, like many other of you gals, have to be creating something. I have been in the "handmade soap making" this last month and just love it. The whole new idea of re-searching, learning, creating, marketing, making a website for it and the satisfaction of accomplishing a project that just "feeds my soul."  But then I look out in my backyard and think, Man, I should be out there making a bear right now......!!! I have spent a few dollars on advertising in magazines this last year too, and it just does not seem to pick up enough for me to work at it all the time. And now that my kids are out of school, the oldest is 24 and has an apartment but still comes home for lunch and supper most of the time. And my 19 year old is still at home, but works in the mall and has ridiculous working hours. I find it even harder to just "be" out in my shop cuz I feel like I have to be taking care of the kids.
But anyhow, here is a pic of my shop. I really dont see much in the change of my electric bill when I am out there. Living in west Texas, we have very hot summers. I just have a air-conditioning window unit and it cools it off just fine for me. In the winter, I have a little electric heater.
Good luck in finding your shop. I understand where you are coming from.  :hug:
shop_002.jpg

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

You guys are covered in AWESOME SAUCE!!!!!  What a wonderful read to wake up to.  There were so many posts I can't hit them all directly but let me try.

Bobbie, you crack me up.  No resolution yet.  Will see second space today and check into others.  The price around Chico for the amount of space I'm looking for is, I kid you not, $250-$300/month.  Doesn't that sound do-able?

Ellen, you wrote the loveliest and most understanding things... like you always do.  I'm an extrovert and you're an introvert, but other than that in so many ways we're soul sisters.  Thanks for your friendship.

Tami, I want your life, but I don't have an art background despite being a fairly creative person, so I'm not qualified.  (pouts)

Paula, you are sculpted from wisdom and intelligence and sense.  I want it, but admit, I do not have your head for business --  yet!  Nor your discipline, by a long shot.  You're a great role model (I'd love to claim I make 3 big bears a month;brilliant, to have an actual GOAL!) and have some great ideas about planning and forethought that can only be helpful.  You intimidate the crap out of me.  But I adore you!

Karen, your post is especially intriguing and strikes a special chord.  I've been thinking that if I worked PT or FT outside the home, it would indeed help me budget my "free" time after work more efficiently, and would make bear time seem like a refreshing trip to the spa.  It's all relative, isn't it?, this life stuff.  I'm not sure other life circumstances make it right for me to jump back into the work force quite that completely right now, but I'm thinking hard about what you said and its implications for me, personally.  There's just something to it that makes sense.

Wanda, I hear you.  The 24/7 nature of being at home is part of what's driving me crazy.  I need an outlet!  Just walking into a space that's NOT HERE sounds therapeutic!  I moved to Chico away from friends and family and AFTER the boys were in school so I don't have friendships here from "mommy n me" or parenting classes, high school, college, or work.  That's another part of my problem -- few social outlets because the opportunity to develop friendships hasn't cropped up and I haven't nurtured it.  Too bad you don't live closer; we could help one another stay on task.  Coffee... work... lunch break... work... coffee again... Wouldn't we have fun?

Duff, EXCELLENT advice about consulting a tax advisor.  I do take a very small deduction for working at home but should really find out what the consequences are if I rent space vs. have a shed vs. continue in this same vein.  Thanks!

Daphne, we can drown our disappointment that life actually takes work and effort in mochas, together, someday.  And I'm not being judgmental or sarcastic; I'm totally serious.  Did you ever think, when you were, like, 20, that it was this hard???  Not me; that's for sure.  In fact, that's been one of the major talking points between me and my girlfriends as we work through our forties together.  Life, as joyous and beautiful as it is, is just HARD.  And it just never gets easier... just more complicated.  Also, more layered with love and wonderment and magic, which is a good thing because all that hardness needs some balance.  But it just IS... hard, I mean.  <sigh>

Chrissi, I am a teacher.  Not just at heart, but with a degree and credential.  Food for thought.... as is your EXCELLENT idea to get some social stimulation by taking classes in art, which I would LOVE to do and never have done.  There's this group of women locally who get together to scrapbook, something I've let go and enjoy and NEED to do as I'm so behind (like a decade, seriously.)  It's very casual, too, so if I couldn't make it, that wouldn't be a hassle.  You've got me thinking...  Thanks!

Roxanne... "tits on a bore hog."  Honestly, it's a good thing I wasn't drinking coffee, or I'd have spit it all over my monitor!  Funny girl.  I hear you SO LOUD AND CLEAR on the burnout thing.  It's a killer.  As is that way it sounds like we both have of finding something new, throwing ourselves 100% into it, and then feeling completely exhausted and like, oops, forgot that OTHER thing I was supposed to be doing, too. 

Your shed is lovely and if it weren't for the fact that Chico and my neighborhood, in particular, require permits (we've got pretty strict CC&R's), and that I have no idea how to DIY any of the work and would have to hire it out ($$$), I'd go that route in a heartbeat.  Still thinking about it, though; my dad is an electrician and I could get him to help.  He lives four hours away but it's a possibility.  Still thinking.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions for you guys:

1.  How does one FIND an "artist collective?"

2.  If you shared space with other people, especially strangers you only just met... wouldn't you be worried your things would be used/ruined/stolen?  Or am I the only paranoid, negative thinking person when it comes to protecting property and patterns in this way???

3.  Who invented liquid soap, and why? bear_original

duff Deedle Bears
Dallas

Hi Shelli, I can't help on the 1st two questions but here is wome info on the last one..    bear_grin

Re: Who invented liquid soap and why ?

Date: Mon Aug 6 21:41:11 2001
Posted By: Eric Maass, Director, semiconductors / communication products
Area of science: Science History
ID: 995593911.Sh
Hello, A.L.  As far as I can tell, Liquid Soap was invented by  Hendrik Willem Brouwer of  Holland, working for Lever Brothers. He received patent number US4065398: Liquid soap
composition. You can read more about this invention at this webpage.

As for why - I can only guess that Lever Brothers saw the potential to increase sales and profits due to the convenience of a soap that could easily be dispensed in public places like public
restrooms, as a better alternative than providing a community bar of soap (do you really want to wash your hands with  a bar of soap covered with some stranger's dirt and germs?), and as
a more comfortable alternative to providing powdered soap (I have used it in public restrooms in the past...feels like you are washing your hands with  Ajax or Comet. Uncomfortable).

In fact, since the invention of liquid soap, there have been a whole lot of patents for equipment that  dispenses liquid soap, so the market is obviously there!

Uh oh, it is never that easy to find info...    More   bear_tongue

Who invented liquid soap, and why ?
I didn't have a clue what the answer to this question was so I had to do some research. Turns out, the first patent for liquid soap was issued way back on August 22, 1865 to a William Shepphard. I found several websites that mentioned this fact, but none of them seemed to know why. If I had to make a guess, I would surmise that it was probably for some sort of industrial process, and not for the reasons of handwashing convenience that we use liquid soap today.

Interesting tidbit - It wasn't until 1980 that the Minnetonka Corporation introduced the first modern liquid soap. They cornered the liquid soap market by buying up the entire supply of the plastic pumps needed for the liquid soap dispensers.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Oh Shelly: Laura has a great idea here with a little house shed in the yard by away from the house. It may cost a few dollars in the long run, but it may be your answer.

But if it is being with others while working on your creation, contact a local quilting shop and rent some space. You'll be surprise how many people will want to venture back to see your work. You may even make some sales! Most shops give classes so there should be space for you to rent a few times a week. Just a thought.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio
Shelli wrote:

Tami, I want your life, but I don't have an art background despite being a fairly creative person, so I'm not qualified.  (pouts)

Chrissi, I am a teacher.  Not just at heart, but with a degree and credential.  Food for thought.... as is your EXCELLENT idea to get some social stimulation by taking classes in art, which I would LOVE to do and never have done.

Shelli, I think you are like me, qualified to teach art, but not certifiedto teach art. You hold a elementary education teaching degree, like me, and you have experience (life experience,  if not college classes) in soft sculpture, sculpture, glassworking, painting, and illustration (and more?), not to mention a little blessing called talent. Perhaps you don't have that little piece of paper from the state board of education which says "This Person Can Teach ART", but neither do I.
You could teach art--(I'd be thrilled to be in your class) ---you would just have to find an open-minded school.

On the Studio note, has anyone else dreamed of a studio in one of these little "Katrina Cottages"?
I want this one with the loft!!! bear_happy I wouldn't have to have that back bedroom, but oh what storage that would be! Love the porch! bear_wub http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p … C_697.html

OK, forgive my little trip to that lovely place called fantacy!

carsoncreations Carson Creations
Macomb, IL
Website

Too bad you don't live closer; we could help one another stay on task.  Coffee... work... lunch break... work... coffee again... Wouldn't we have fun?   ... Shelli

Yes ...wouldn't that be GREAT !!!! ..... I would love it !!!!

Guess we'll just have to do that via "TeddyTalk"

Wanda

Kent
Website

You intimidate the crap out of me.  But I adore you!

I do???????  bear_laugh  bear_tongue

Wow.   :crackup:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Yes, you do.   You're completely "with it" in all the ways I am not.  That's a good thing, and something to aspire to.  I just hate being reminded, by the mere presence of people more capable than myself, that I am totally missing the boat on something that I actually want to be good at.

But that's okay.  I will learn from you, oh grand poobah of doing it well and doing it smart and doing it right.  Thank goodness for people like you who help me fill in all those many blanks!

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA
Tami E wrote:

On the Studio note, has anyone else dreamed of a studio in one of these little "Katrina Cottages"?
I want this one with the loft!!! bear_happy I wouldn't have to have that back bedroom, but oh what storage that would be! Love the porch! bear_wub http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p … C_697.html

OK, forgive my little trip to that lovely place called fantacy!

OMG!!!  One of my twins was sitting on my lap when I opened up the Katrina Cottage link and said "Get One?"  Yeah, I'd love to put that on my Christmas list.  Totally cool.

The first house we looked at when we moved here had a separate cottage in the back.  Oh, I wanted it Sooo much but our other house didn't sell in time and the owner wasn't accepting Contingency Contracts.

That's the only way I could have an studio outside of my home.  It would have to be one I could walk to because if I had to bother to get in the car and drive somewhere, it wouldn't work for me.  I'm much too lazy for that!!!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

As a past master of dilly-dallying I do understand what you are saying, Shel... There is always a much more tantalising thing to do calling in the back of your mind and discipline is hard to maintain.
I completely understand where Paula is coming form...there is nothing quite so galvanising as being a lone parent and having to pay the bills and having to put food in the cupboard and that makes you put down the telephone...switch off the computer and get on with it.
I find that working one day a week makes me frugal with my spare time..and I compact my days off..I take Sundays out occasionally...and most Monday mornings..and when I am making bears..I am making bears.

I don't miss company..I like my own ..and get an overdose of human beings every Friday in the salon..and that does me. My sister lives next door too..and that helps..she nips in every now and then and we chew the fat.

I think getting the balance right is tricky but if it's really important to you to reach outside the home maybe you do need that one day a week or so working...what about evening classes...you can always teach adults...I did that once. The responsibility that comes with children can have you climbing the walls. As much as you love them..and love mine..I needed my space..as they needed theirs.... I shared the care of my kids with my ex when they were young...(he-he ..my daughter is 30 next year...now I do feel old) but I had to do a full time job..I was technical advisor for a hair product company then..and went all over the place, but it worked out. They both have a child of their own now and I admire their parenting skills.

I always find that I am at my most productive when I am busy...and it just becomes habitual that everyday I get up and get on with it...but if I ever...like this week.., if ever I take break...like go away for a few days..it's so hard to get into again. So last night I got a big pile of fur and stuck it at the bottom of the stairs ..and that's todays job...drawing up and cutting out.

I work in my sitting room mainly....no apologies for that..I find I can join in with the chit chat..I am not stuck in a lonely garret feeling isolated, ignored and missing out on something..I machine up the bears elsewhere and everything else I do in company. I am having the garage converted to a workshop...which I know I will use in the day...but in the evenings I will be back in my usual spot in the sitting room!!

Kent
Website

I don't mind my own company either Jenny, I've always been that way, even as a child.  Not that I'm unsociable, I can natter with the best of 'em, but I'm more than happy when it's just me, doing my own thing. 

The one thing I do miss and I envy you, is having a sister locally.  For many years my sister and I used to work together, exhibit together, run charitable stuff together, organise BBN together ... drink coffee and eat cake together, shop together ... you name it.  Trouble was, she needed to go back into employment 'out there' and went through a patch when her enthusiasm for her bear business waned completely, so she left the bear industry and turned into an office manager instead.  Nowadays, I toddle along in my own sweet way, but I will admit to missing someone to share it all with. 

My self-imposed rule is that at the end of my working day ... 6/6.30pm, I close the door on my workroom and join my family downstairs.  It's usually the time I cook the evening meal and catch up with my kids as they flop in the door from work.  By the time we've eaten and I've stacked the dishwasher, I'm only fit for an hour in front of the telly to unwind before bed.  I guess I don't feel isolated from goings on in the house during the day, simply because unless I'm downstairs 'going on', there's nothing else happening here during the day!  These days I don't work at the weekends unless I absolutely have to and because of that, I find I'm much more productive during the week.

Shelli, I think full-time bear-making or any 'career' that keeps you from social interaction, is really tough.  I'd love to know how to find complete fulfilment in the face of perpetual isolation, sporadic lack of motivation and questioned confidence in a career choice that sets one so far aside from the 'real world'.  So you see, even the 'Grand Poobah' (!)doesn't have all the answers!  I love that you are brave enough to publically question our world from so personal a perspective ... please let us know when you've got it all sussed!  bear_thumb

Board footer