Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Today I went to Hobbycraft ,a local craft store, to buy buttons and bits and pieces. As I went through the cashout the cashier said 'Hold on! I need to check one of these items, it's  not for sale to under 16s'  (that wasn't what will make you laugh) Then she said...'I just want to check which one it is'
Looking in at the things I'd bought , buttons, velcro, press-studs, upholstery thread I thought I might inadvertantly have slipped some  alcohol or marijuana in the basket...or crack cocaine perhaps.

'Ah there it is' she announced triumphantly, 'It's your bias binding, luv'.....UH?
What do they think anyone would do with bias binding? Set up an illegal ring of dealers....they give it to you free for a week or so and before you know it you're hooked...then they try to get you on the the extra wide stuff...

How ridiculous...I've heard of them being cautious with glue in these places...but bias binding...I ask you!!

I was quite flattered she thought I was under 16 though....when I cracked that joke she just looked at me and laughed!!

Anyway...I'm off for a fix!!

Jenny

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ha!  But yes... why on earth is bias binding restricted to the over 16 crowd?  Do they expect kids will ribbon embroider their graffiti, now that spray paint is out of reach?   bear_laugh

warwickshire uk
Website

Yes, Shelli...I think that might be it...embroidered graffiti...I wondered what those kids were up to in the middle of town ...with their needles and stuff....
it's not drugs at all...it's RIBBON EMBROIDERY!!!

Pipa UK

Very odd !! what a compliment tho to you hehehe

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

What is bias binding?

Chrissie

warwickshire uk
Website

It's sort of a ribbon that's cut on the bias...it's used for finishing seams and other things.....

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

oh crap........(she says as beads of sweat pour off her forehead ).  I feel compeled to confess that............ I too am a BiasTape addict    c070.gif I have loads of the stuff, but fortunately my stash is mostly the narrow.  I haven't felt hooked enough to move on to the wide stuff  .  What a relief to finally get that out in the open.  Gina,  If you find that phone # email it to me PLEASE ! It must be a Canadian thing  bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin

Seriously, I've never heard of anything so odd.  I hope kids really don't do anything harmful with this stuff ! That would be sad.

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I work for a Federal Crown and bias binding isn't yet listed under the Controlled Drugs & Substance Act. I will call the Justice Department this afternoon to get it added. I wonder what the penalty will be.... maybe if you possess under 30gm it'll be easier on you and you can get away with a fine and probation for the first offence.
Gotta go and clean out my sewing room first tho - how would it look if I was arrested for having an illegal substance! Maybe I can slip it to my 25 yr old son :lol:

Marion

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

I can hear them coming now Marion........run for it ! cop.gif
large-smiley-051.gif

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Oh my Gosh! :twisted: Thank you Jenny for the morning laugh! We Canadians can be a bit ridged, but I think this story tops the cake! :cake:

Many Hugs Louise

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Ummm OKAY!  Weird story - LOL Why on earth would they not sell Bias Binding to young kids?

LOL

The mind boggles.

Thanks for the interesting story Jenny!
Danni

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I've got it!

You know those little tiny squares that LSD comes on- and they have pictures on- and the kids put them in their mouth? The rice paper melts and they get the LSD.... They are very small....

You could hide those little tiny squares of LSD in the bias binding under the flaps and no one would see them and then you could smuggle them into the prison where you are teaching bear making and quilting.

Jenny Jenny Jenny  :/

So ya got yourself busted big time by the biased police....thats ok, darlin, we love you here!   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

What? 

How do I know about those little tiny squares.....years of body checks on new adolescent arrivals to the psych facility I worked in, also confiscated razor blades ( sometimes in their  bras  yikes!  Ouch!) switch blades, cigs, matches, lighters, uppers/downers and everything in between.

Actually the truly psychotic were safer than the out of control adolescents!

bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin :doh:

bear_tongue

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh I keep mine in the toilet tank, inside a ziploc baggie  :dance:

Eileen

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Oh Jenny, the truth out....you've let the world know about our British kids and their bias binding habits!   :redface:

:twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  bear_happy bear_happy bear_happy bear_happy bear_happy bear_happy bear_happy bear_happy bear_happy bear_happy bear_rolleyes bear_rolleyes bear_rolleyes bear_rolleyes bear_rolleyes bear_rolleyes

Jane.   bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_tongue bear_tongue bear_tongue bear_tongue bear_tongue bear_tongue

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

You guys are too funny,I adore you all,but then ......I'm biased  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin :clap: :clap:

Oh Shari, that's a good one !

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

<groan>  bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas